Ron Patterson is starting to remind me of | Syracusefan.com

Ron Patterson is starting to remind me of

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
a poor man's Scoop. Scoop was better at finishing his drives to the hoop and became a solid clutch shooter over time. Ron hasn't shown either of those traits yet, really, but his entry passes, the way he plays defense, his overall floor game reminds me of the young Scoop.

Overall, the team is getting to be more fun to watch. I have to be honest with you, it has been a painful season. All of college basketball is down, but at least in the last few games I feel like the offense is starting to come together a bit. If we can get games in the high 60s / low 70s, that's a huge improvement over the 40 and 50 point brickfests we were treated to in the early months of the season.

I still see a rather low ceiling for this team, but if they can keep winning those close games, I think the defense is going to keep them in a lot of games.

Ron is a better defender, but I can see the comparison.

30 Ast / 8 TO on the season. He hasn't made many mistakes with the ball (other than the end of the WFU game), but he also has shown extremely limited scoring potential. If this kid could consistently shoot even 30% from 3 he'd be getting more minutes.

a poor man's Scoop. Scoop was better at finishing his drives to the hoop and became a solid clutch shooter over time. Ron hasn't shown either of those traits yet, really, but his entry passes, the way he plays defense, his overall floor game reminds me of the young Scoop.

Overall, the team is getting to be more fun to watch. I have to be honest with you, it has been a painful season. All of college basketball is down, but at least in the last few games I feel like the offense is starting to come together a bit. If we can get games in the high 60s / low 70s, that's a huge improvement over the 40 and 50 point brickfests we were treated to in the early months of the season.

I still see a rather low ceiling for this team, but if they can keep winning those close games, I think the defense is going to keep them in a lot of games.
I don't see that. I think Ron is a MAC level player.

I think they look physically similar. I've found myself saying "he looks like Scoop out there" a few times. But for me that's where the similarity ends. As a sophomore, Scoop was the lead ball handler on a top 5 team. Patterson seems like an end of the bench type thrust into minutes only out of necessity. He's brought some positives at times but the talent gap between the two seems pretty steep. Maybe a homeless man's Scoop.

Scoop is arguable a top 5 PG ever at Cuse when you really break down the numbers. He was a much better shooter than most give him credit for. Ron to me isn't a PG at all so its hard for me to make that comparison although he certainly is a play maker at times.

I believe I pointed this out in a previous thread :bang:

Scoop was a lot more clutch than most people gave him credit for...he got us into overtime against UConn by knocking down two threes back to back like they were nothing with about a minute left in the fame. I will take 33% scoop jardine over Patterson at this moment.

I like Patterson. He makes some passes coming off screens, hitting cutters that I don't anyone else on the team is capable of at the moment. He also, other than Rak, seems to be the most fearless on the team. He'll still miss the shot - but I'll give him credit for his confidence. Overall, if he could hit some threes he would be a nice piece to have on a good team as an energy guy.

30 Ast / 8 TO on the season. He hasn't made many mistakes with the ball (other than the end of the WFU game), but he also has shown extremely limited scoring potential. If this kid could consistently shoot even 30% from 3 he'd be getting more minutes.
In ACC play Patterson and Joseph have combined for 35 assists and 7 turnovers. That's a 5:1 ratio. It doesn't seem like it's been that good, but stats don't lie!

I think they look physically similar. I've found myself saying "he looks like Scoop out there" a few times. But for me that's where the similarity ends. As a sophomore, Scoop was the lead ball handler on a top 5 team. Patterson seems like an end of the bench type thrust into minutes only out of necessity. He's brought some positives at times but the talent gap between the two seems pretty steep. Maybe a homeless man's Scoop.
Thought he looked like Scoop during the first game on TV. Said so here. His game is a bit behind him but he looks like a hard worker so he could make it.

If ron developes scoop skills he could be a special player in the mold of a shorter version of what we hoped paul harris could have been. Can't see him as a pure point, but guys like gmac, dion, and triche weren't pure points yet ready enough to run the point.

Last edited:
I really like Patterson, he's active on D and always has his hands up or side to side. He's strong as well, and can penetrate and get to the hole. I think his J has great form, maybe the best technique on the entire team from my viewpoint. If JB gave him more latitude, I think it would just be a matter of time before more of his J's went down...JB himself has admitted that Ronnie is a slow starter as he usually misses his first few attempts in practice and then will hit 19 out of his next 20.

I agree Ron is not a point guard... But what is he?
He is a solid basketball player. A couple of things are rounding into shape for him, but he is a contributor. The kid brings aggressive defense and 100% effort. His offense will improve and although he may never be a starter, he should be a real spark off the bench. Championship teams need players like Ron Patterson, they can't all be superstars.

I agree Ron is not a point guard... But what is he?

Ummm . . . . . hmmmmm . . . . . a guard of some sort? orangefog nailed it he's an energy guy, spark plug off the bench. At this point you can count on him to play defense and generally take care of the ball. Om offense he makes things happen but they aren't all good. I don't think he's a PG and he certainly isn't a shooting guard so he's a basketball player who has some guard skills and is the size of a guard with long arms and lots of energy.

He is a solid basketball player. A couple of things are rounding into shape for him, but he is a contributor. The kid brings aggressive defense and 100% effort. His offense will improve and although he may never be a starter, he should be a real spark off the bench. Championship teams need players like Ron Patterson, they can't all be superstars.

I respect your thoughts, but I just don't think you can be a solid basketball player while having these shooting percentages: 25% FG, 25% FT, 17% 3P. I'm not looking for him to be Kyle Korver, but he has to find a way to put the ball through the hoop at a reasonably efficient pace.

Championship teams need players like Ron Patterson, they can't all be superstars.

I don't want to knock RP. He is what he is. But I'm pretty sure he's not cracking the rotation on any of the last several championship teams.

Say what you like but the team offense operates better with Ron in there.
I don't think it's a coincidence that our team played a bit better after Joseph was removed after he got his shot blocked on that fast break in the first half. Enter Ron Patterson.

I understand what you think he can be and perhaps you're right but right now he isn't a solid basketball player. Just no way. He is improving in the assists and turnovers department but he really shouldn't be having turnovers anyways. He doesn't do enough or play enough for those. An occasional drive and dish and a jacked 3. No scoring. I like his effort on D. He reminds me of a subpar Michigan St. guard and the MAC comparisons as well. This doesn't mean I dislike him. He just is what he is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom