Roster impact from coaching change | Syracusefan.com

Roster impact from coaching change

cuseincincy

All Conference
Dino is gone and everyone is excited to find out who the next head coach will be but what players are likely to leave regardless of who we hire?

Villari - I'd say he'll be elsewhere next year unless the NCAA prevents it due to being a 2 time transfer and having not graduated yet. As a TE he could probably pick his next school.
Allen - Timing may have been involved but he stuck it out in a tough situation. More than any I think his decision is based on who we hire.
Gadsden - He wouldn't be the first injured player to portal the following season. With Villari he could actually play WR here. My guess is he is playing WR somewhere else next year.
Wax - Another mostly impacted by new coaching staff and a choice of schools to go to.
Others - We will likely lose a DB and/or LB, likely more. Maybe going up or down.

Obviously there will be a lot more shake up but these are our key players next year in my opinion. They all stayed last year but the coaching change is a game changer in every way.

CDW and Davis are likely stuck for the same reason Villari likely is, 2 time transfer and not a graduate (assumption on my part as they are underclassmen). I can't imagine any coach being OK with either of those 2 as his first year QB.

Dino is gone and everyone is excited to find out who the next head coach will be but what players are likely to leave regardless of who we hire?

Villari - I'd say he'll be elsewhere next year unless the NCAA prevents it due to being a 2 time transfer and having not graduated yet. As a TE he could probably pick his next school.
Allen - Timing may have been involved but he stuck it out in a tough situation. More than any I think his decision is based on who we hire.
Gadsden - He wouldn't be the first injured player to portal the following season. With Villari he could actually play WR here. My guess is he is playing WR somewhere else next year.
Wax - Another mostly impacted by new coaching staff and a choice of schools to go to.
Others - We will likely lose a DB and/or LB, likely more. Maybe going up or down.

Obviously there will be a lot more shake up but these are our key players next year in my opinion. They all stayed last year but the coaching change is a game changer in every way.

CDW and Davis are likely stuck for the same reason Villari likely is, 2 time transfer and not a graduate (assumption on my part as they are underclassmen). I can't imagine any coach being OK with either of those 2 as his first year QB.
I would think all of those guys will take a wait and see.

Wildhack made it VERY clear in his press conf that guys who have transferred have fared worse than being at Syracuse. Exception was jordan.

It makes no sense for some of these guys to leave IMO.

This is why I think it's critical we a) win Saturday and b) name the new HC before the portal opens.

Let guys have the conversation and let the coach figure out who fits. That said, we have to find a way to keep Allen.

As for the others mentioned in the OP, Villari isn't going anywhere. Gadsden is tough because he may go NFL. Isn't Wax out of eligibility?

I want to make sure we keep Donovan Brown. There are a few other favorites I have my eyes on.

This is why I think it's critical we a) win Saturday and b) name the new HC before the portal opens.

Let guys have the conversation and let the coach figure out who fits. That said, we have to find a way to keep Allen.

As for the others mentioned in the OP, Villari isn't going anywhere. Gadsden is tough because he may go NFL. Isn't Wax out of eligibility?

I want to make sure we keep Donovan Brown. There are a few other favorites I have my eyes on.
Wax has another year. Junior

If you believe the depth chart, the only people with no eligibility left are: (and I have no idea if extra Covid year plays into any of these)

Shrader
Adams
Bleich
More
Okechukwu
Johnson
Simmons

If you believe the depth chart, the only people with no eligibility left are: (and I have no idea if extra Covid year plays into any of these)

Shrader
Adams
Bleich
More
Okechukwu
Johnson
Simmons
That's... wild.

Shrader
Adams
Bleich
More
Okechukwu
Johnson
Simmons
More has an outside shot at an extra year

Wax is staying unless he opts for the draft.

Gadsden will wait to see who the HC is and what the QB situation looks like. He’s got every SEC and Big Ten coach in his ear already.

These are the only two I have a genuine beat on.

Why?
85 possible scholarships, you're saying maybe More has a shot to return so it's really 6 guys that have no more eligibility... what's not wild about turning over less than 10% due to eligibility exhaustion?

1700515531502.jpeg

85 possible scholarships, you're saying maybe More has a shot to return so it's really 6 guys that have no more eligibility... what's not wild about turning over less than 10% due to eligibility exhaustion?
It’s not unusual

Wax is staying unless he opts for the draft.

Gadsden will wait to see who the HC is and what the QB situation looks like. He’s got every SEC and Big Ten coach in his ear already.

These are the only two I have a genuine beat on.

This is patently untrue. It is against the rules to contact players not yet in the portal.
(sorry, can't locate the sarcasm font)

Are guys that have already transferred eligible when there is a coaching change?

Villari - Im not sue if he’s even eligible for a transfer, and if he is, not sure if he would.

Orande - Not a lot of reason for him to leave so long as our QB situation improves which let’s face it, it will. It has to.

He’s the WR1, and he will not be as tempted to leave for NIL as he comes from a well to do family. If he stays healthy, he’s going to the NFL.

Allen - He’s ride or die, that man isn’t going anywhere!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom