Rumor mill | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Rumor mill

Very interesting, if true. I don't really care about a retractable (or even just clear) roof, but I trust in Syverud.

Dumb question, but how hard would it be to fit baseball in the existing dome? I'd rather we played hockey, but baseball makes more sense with the ACC. There must be some kind of endgame if they are going all-in?

Just please make orange (plastic?) seats.

Here's a look at a stadium in New Zealand designed by these Populous guys.

"Forsyth Barr Stadium is located in Dunedin, New Zealand, at 45 degrees South and is the most southerly professional stadium in the world."

And the pics of this place:
Forsyth-Barr_2-990x465.jpg

Forsyth-Barr_1-990x465.jpg

Forsyth-Barr_3-990x465.jpg

Forsyth-Barr_5-990x465.jpg

Could this space industry stuff hold the snow load?

You've got to wonder. But it sure looks cool.

"Forsyth Barr Stadium is located in Dunedin, New Zealand, at 45 degrees South and is the most southerly professional stadium in the world."

I wonder how the acoustics/crowd noise sound in these things?

You mean besides exactly how the athletic department has been run for the past decade? Meaning, deficit spending.

Many here have heard that a retractable roof is not an option. If things have changed, then things have changed. Question though, where is hoops going to play? Because if this can't be done in the 7 or so months between the end of hoops and a late start to a home football schedule, I'm assuming it can't be done in 9 months either.

Stop being negative! :D

There isn't much need for a retractable roof anywhere. Why would there be one at SU? I know that there have been engineering changes in the last few years but the fact that the Giants and Jets didn't find it cost worthy but somehow SU does makes me wonder what people are thinking around here.

The walls of the Dome were preformed slabs attached to anchors that I don't believe would support any other roof then is what there...without a major tear down....

From what I read in the link I posted above, it could.

you cant open it when it rains or when its hot and we play 3-4 times a year when its nice. it was 90 friday and it would have been hot for those sitting in the sun for much of the game had it been open then. if the game had been sat at noon we could havent opened it either. cost wise would you even open it for 2-3 Lax games maybe 1-2 fball games a year?

Whitey23 said:
I wonder how the acoustics/crowd noise sound in these things?

No idea, but it did say that Elton John christened the place with its first concert. Personally, I think I prefer Sir Elton at MSG, but have to imagine the concert acoustics were OK. As for crowd noise, it's still a hard surface roof. Would hope we could make it just as loud as today.

The other interesting thing from the link on this stadium in the land of the Kiwi. It's the only permanent indoor natural grass stadium in the world.

Ok...what I heard

Still nothing is decided. There is a camp of folks that want the land of the Dome for 3 new schools and parking. Possible new stadium locations: Drumlins, next to Destiny and the State Fair. SU would like to get out of managing the Dome and just pay rent. Current tax breaks keeps SU profitable for running the Dome but they would like to have a stadium authority run a building. Other camps of folks are into renovating but issues with games away from Cuse.

Throw in the NY State involvement...and I could very easily see a new SOA stadium for both teams north of Downtown. My biggest issue is there has to be a way to get folks there using more than just cars and buses.

Someone up thread mentioned drainage, so I would imagine they'd need to rip up the new turf and install that on the floor? Seems like a helluva waste to have spent the time and money on the new field if they knew it'd be coming up in less than a year.

Fantastic, but doubt this location receives anywhere near the snow CNY does. Just looked it up and snowfall is rare and usually light when it does occur.

Fantastic "news" and is exactly the boost the university and its athletics need. It sounds like it'll be EFTE and non-retractable roof. The Vike's and NZ stadiums look awesome. Of course snow would be a major element of any design and is obviously factored in. As someone mentioned above, I'd only be concerned with the shadowing effect for basketball.

If the Carrier Dome gets a new roof and concourse, and assume both extensively change the footprint and utilization of the building, would that give SU an out of their contract with Carrier? In essence, would it be a new building with new naming rights bidding?

SUFaninNJ said:
I'm curious as to how this would impact season tix. I'd rather put my season tix on hold for a year than to have to schlep the extra distance and pay for a hotel. I'd rather they do a mix of locales. Buffalo, Ithaca and Met Life similar to what they did in 79. We did go to a bowl game that year as well!

We were talking about the exact same thing the other day. I want to keep my seats and location in the Dome. I might go to every home game in Buffalo but I might not. I hope they don't make us have to buy a season ticket package next year in order to keep our Dome seats. Should be a 1 year "pause".

probably right as the stadium is big. if we do better than expected this year it may help attendance. scheduling all away games is silly imho, UNLESS THE PAYDAY FOR THAT IS SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT. DIDN'T WE PLAY 1-2 GAMES AT CORNELL WHEN THE DOME WAS BEING BUILT???FRANKLIN FIELD MAYBE
We played all games on the road the year the Dome was built.

Are they reducing seating capacity with "real seats" while all this is going on?

We were talking about the exact same thing the other day. I want to keep my seats and location in the Dome. I might go to every home game in Buffalo but I might not. I hope they don't make us have to buy a season ticket package next year in order to keep our Dome seats. Should be a 1 year "pause".

Couldn't agree more, this is/would be my biggest concern. I'd probably make most of the games but would be less then thrilled if SU forced us 5o buy seasons to keep our current dome seats. Fine lot tailgate would probably have to take a year hiatus to.