Rumor mill | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Rumor mill

Only question I got is this stadium going to be publicly or privately fianced?
If we are getting tax dollars then get the best stadium we can. If it's privately financed then don't get everything.

I would agree with KOIII MetLife over Wilson. More alumni in NYC than WNY. Season ticket holders would understand the short term move.
more seats are filled by non alumni no matter where su plays football or basketball

If you ever made the trip to Ithaca, it may be closer in miles but on a game day in traffic it would not be easier or more timely to travel to. I would prefer MetLife or Ralph.

The only people who would go to either are die hard SU fans. We are talking 20-25k people. While Buffalo might be a little more convenient for those people, it is in the team's best interest to have a home field advantage in a small intimate stadium. If those die hards are going no matter what migth as well help the team.

It would be insane to put all the games at Buffalo. I was there in '79. We'll get 15k to the games. It would make more sense to put the best games at MetLife. The other games could go to Cornell, UB or the Bills Stadium.

I would only put a 1-AA or MAC type game at Cornell though...traffic in and out of Ithaca would be a nightmare for crowds larger than 20k.

orangezen said:
It would be great to have SU play Colgate out here in Hamilton

I agree. Great setting, but not really doable with its size right? Capacity at 10,221 makes it a tough ticket.

more seats are filled by non alumni no matter where su plays football or basketball
If we play our BB games at MSG and FB at Metlife it would be close to even.

It would be insane to put all the games at Buffalo. I was there in '79. We'll get 15k to the games. It would make more sense to put the best games at MetLife. The other games could go to Cornell, UB or the Bills Stadium.

I would only put a 1-AA or MAC type game at Cornell though...traffic in and out of Ithaca would be a nightmare for crowds larger than 20k.

I forgot UB had a team lol. Scratch Cornell play the games at UB. Bigger stadium and easy to get to. The Ralph makes zero sense. SU should never play there.

We were talking about the exact same thing the other day. I want to keep my seats and location in the Dome. I might go to every home game in Buffalo but I might not. I hope they don't make us have to buy a season ticket package next year in order to keep our Dome seats. Should be a 1 year "pause".
I'm sure Dan will know if/when this becomes a reality.

Probably nothing, but there is a rumor going around that an announcement is coming pertaining to the dome renovation. Supposedly all home games next year will be played at the Ralph while a retractable roof is added to the dome. An open roof would have been a blessing Friday night.
Not sure if it's been said in the other 6 pages, but I've heard it will be a fixed roof, non-retractable. Also heard stadium seating would be added (adios benches) and that a whole side of the dome will be rebuilt. Not sure if any of that has changed since January when I originally was told. .

Stop being negative! :D

There isn't much need for a retractable roof anywhere. Why would there be one at SU? I know that there have been engineering changes in the last few years but the fact that the Giants and Jets didn't find it cost worthy but somehow SU does makes me wonder what people are thinking around here.
Just an FYI the Giants and Jets didn't want a retractable roof because they would have had no control over whether the roof would have been closed or open during the cold winter months.
The NFL controls whether stadiums are closed or open and the NFL wouldn't allow the teams to determine for themselves thus the Giants and Jets were okay with no roof being put on Metlife.

what amazes me about a post that is possible great news and maybe is just rumor,is how the typical city of syracuse mentality of how you cannot do something, that gets such negativity on this site. one of the reason that the city is so backward is the depressive rust belt mentality and lack of vision. negativity is syracuse's biggest enemy. its always why we can't do rather than how can we make it happen. i am a huge cny fan --fingerlakes guy. the city mentality is blight on a otherwise beautiful area. funny how buffalo,rochester and other cities progress and syracuse regresses--there's food for thought. i now live in bethlehem pa ---you should what they have done with phase 1&2 of the old steel mill. its called steel stacks. bethlehem is a can do city, syracuse should take a lesson. i appreciate the sharing of the information by the op and others in the loop and am excited by ANY movement su takes to advance their status AS WELL AS THE CITY OF SYRACUSE,despite the archaic thinking mayor ----

I've said it before. I believe you will see a fixed roof of EFTE material similar to the new Vikings stadium, which requires a much lighter structure to support it, even with snow load.
http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/New-Vikings-Stadium-QA-The-Clear-Roof/dff31d45-bc82-41ec-
b768-2ef03827bbe7

http://www.startribune.com/no-6-new-vikings-stadium-big-bold-and-glassy/207314401/

Stadium-interior.jpg
I love this roof. If it not a retractable this would be great. I wonder if the ac issue is a factor. New roof and ac is how much less than retractable? Does any renovation makes sense without ac?

what amazes me about a post that is possible great news and maybe is just rumor,is how the typical city of syracuse mentality of how you cannot do something, that gets such negativity on this site. one of the reason that the city is so backward is the depressive rust belt mentality and lack of vision. negativity is syracuse's biggest enemy. its always why we can't do rather than how can we make it happen. i am a huge cny fan --fingerlakes guy. the city mentality is blight on a otherwise beautiful area. funny how buffalo,rochester and other cities progress and syracuse regresses--there's food for thought. i now live in bethlehem pa ---you should what they have done with phase 1&2 of the old steel mill. its called steel stacks. bethlehem is a can do city, syracuse should take a lesson. i appreciate the sharing of the information by the op and others in the loop and am excited by ANY movement su takes to advance their status AS WELL AS THE CITY OF SYRACUSE,despite the archaic thinking mayor ----

I find it weird that people think there is negativity in this thread. Discussing whether it is worth the money to have a retractable roof isn't negative. Discussing where is the best place to play our "road" home games is not negative. Are CNYers typically more negative? Yes. When they are by all means feel free to call them out on it. But bitching about negativity when there is no negativity is odd.

In Utica we called it mill town mentality.

Cornell is closer by a hour. There is room for temp bleachers in the endzones that could get capacity near 30k. I rather have 25k SU fans there than 25k SU fans in a big NFL stadium. It gives us a better home field advantage. Moving FSU and VA Tech to Metlife gives us more media exposure and will aid in recruiting. Playing in Buffalo does nothing for our fans, for exposure, and for recruiting.
'It's a hell of a lot easier going 3 hours from Syracuse to the Ralph than going 5+ hours to Metlife. I drive downstate all the time, it's a pain in the ass.

If the Carrier Dome gets a new roof and concourse, and assume both extensively change the footprint and utilization of the building, would that give SU an out of their contract with Carrier? In essence, would it be a new building with new naming rights bidding?

I would guess they would reach out to Carrier to give them first right of refusal on naming going forward. Then rake them over the coals for $$$ for what we have not made over the past 10-15 years.

EDIT: Then get them to throw in a few giant air conditioners for the project.

Last edited:
Is there confirmation anywhere that the people you think were being negative are from the CNY?

I understand what you're saying but as a current Syr resident it bothers me because I think the negativity tag gets thrown around pretty loosely based on the idiots that post on Syracuse.com when there is little actual proof that most of those idiots actually reside here.

As far as the mayor goes...I did not agree with her decision to nix the stadium deal however I understood her stance. There are a ton of positives going on here right now because of forward thinking people. The amphitheater being one of them as well as all the new apartments in the city in retrofitted factory space.

'It's a hell of a lot easier going 3 hours from Syracuse to the Ralph than going 5+ hours to Metlife. I drive downstate all the time, it's a pain in the ass.

1. I drive to every SU home game from the NYC area. It takes under 4 hours if you do not stop.

2. It would only be for the 2 big name games FSU and VA Tech.

3. It helps with exposure and recruiting. Can't our fans sacrifice the trip to help the program?

In fairness, you are talking about a $500m renovation, when the University had previously ruled out a retractable roof, on a condensed timeline, when structurally many have concluded it is not feasible, while moving all home games to an outdated NFL stadium in a city hours from NY's center of population. Oh, and your original post said, "Probably nothing."

All of that being said, while I am skeptical, i was also a naysayer on the whole syracuse-ny stadium thread a year or so ago and I was definitely wrong on that (the fact there was real discussion about the possibility and may have been a go if not for the mayor). I'm cautiously optimistic something great will happen here though and hope your post proves to be 100% true (except the Ralph Wilson part which is a nightmare).

The Ralph got a huge facelift and renovations this past off season, I forget how many hundreds of millions of dollars it was but it is really nice.

1. I drive to every SU home game from the NYC area. It takes under 4 hours if you do not stop.

2. It would only be for the 2 big name games FSU and VA Tech.

3. It helps with exposure and recruiting. Can't our fans sacrifice the trip to help the program?

Getting out of the city is way easier than getting in when there is any type of game traffic. It hasn't really helped with recruiting, part of the reason they are ending the Metlife series in NYC.

K Otto XLIV said:
I find it weird that people think there is negativity in this thread. Discussing whether it is worth the money to have a retractable roof isn't negative. Discussing where is the best place to play our "road" home games is not negative. Are CNYers typically more negative? Yes. When they are by all means feel free to call them out on it. But bitching about negativity when there is no negativity is odd.

The word "negative" has been thrown around this board so casually the past few months that it's lost all meaning.

Negativity would be people saying why bother doing anything because the program stinks or the city is dying or whatever. But no one is saying that and I suspect if you had a poll nearly 100% of people here would be in favor of either massive Dome renovations or a brand new state-of-the-art stadium.

People are questioning whether SU has actually committed to building a retractable roof, while the OP said it's probably nothing and one other person said it's definite. I mean, clearly he responses have been blistering and devastating.