Rumor mill | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Rumor mill

We were talking about the exact same thing the other day. I want to keep my seats and location in the Dome. I might go to every home game in Buffalo but I might not. I hope they don't make us have to buy a season ticket package next year in order to keep our Dome seats. Should be a 1 year "pause".
I would have no problem going to any of the places mentioned for a one year construction period, if necessary, rather not but understand it may be a necessity. Last choice would be Cornell.

Okay I'm done posting on this subject now. I'm wrong you guys are all right. I'll post again on this in two weeks after the announcement

I believe you. And from all the discussion I have heard it is not going to be a new stadium but a renovation of the existing one.

you cant open it when it rains or when its hot and we play 3-4 times a year when its nice. it was 90 friday and it would have been hot for those sitting in the sun for much of the game had it been open then. if the game had been sat at noon we could havent opened it either. cost wise would you even open it for 2-3 Lax games maybe 1-2 fball games a year?
I understand what you're saying but why wouldn't be open if it was 90? Don't people watch games outside in the south when it's that hot?

Okay I'm done posting on this subject now. I'm wrong you guys are all right. I'll post again on this in two weeks after the announcement
No need to get defensive. Especially after calling out a few posters as being negative simply for doubting the rumor based on the info they had. Nothing wrong with you chiming in to support the OP, and CL and others have clearly heard the same or similar. Sounds credible. Let's wait for PS to "break" the story - what's taking them so long?

Based upon that survey SU sent out in the Spring, I'd assume seating will be changed with whatever renovations are implemented.

Here's a look at a stadium in New Zealand designed by these Populous guys.

"Forsyth Barr Stadium is located in Dunedin, New Zealand, at 45 degrees South and is the most southerly professional stadium in the world."

And the pics of this place:
Forsyth-Barr_2-990x465.jpg

Forsyth-Barr_1-990x465.jpg

Forsyth-Barr_3-990x465.jpg

Forsyth-Barr_5-990x465.jpg

Could this space industry stuff hold the snow load?

You've got to wonder. But it sure looks cool.

That's pretty cool looking but I wonder if it turns into a greenhouse when it's hot outside.

Ok...what I heard

Still nothing is decided. There is a camp of folks that want the land of the Dome for 3 new schools and parking. Possible new stadium locations: Drumlins, next to Destiny and the State Fair. SU would like to get out of managing the Dome and just pay rent. Current tax breaks keeps SU profitable for running the Dome but they would like to have a stadium authority run a building. Other camps of folks are into renovating but issues with games away from Cuse.

Throw in the NY State involvement...and I could very easily see a new SOA stadium for both teams north of Downtown. My biggest issue is there has to be a way to get folks there using more than just cars and buses.
I wouldn't want it at the fairgrounds, would LOVE to have it at the inner harbor. It's right down the street from me.

In other news about the Inner Harbor...Congel has moved all of the dirt piles that were in the overflow parking lots to the vacant land across from Harbor View Liquors. The land has been leveled and I saw yesterday that it looks like they're putting in sewer piping. The road has been closed all week. Sign of things to come maybe??

wonder if they would have a bus shuttle from syracuse to buffalo or metlife for at least some of the games ?

Can't fit 34 people across on those benches anymore.

Maybe 30 years ago they could.

Everything in the universe is expanding.
Yup. My waistline went from 30 to 34 from 1992 to 2015, I'll admit it. We are packed like freaking sardines for hoops games. So uncomfortable.

Ok...what I heard

Still nothing is decided. There is a camp of folks that want the land of the Dome for 3 new schools and parking. Possible new stadium locations: Drumlins, next to Destiny and the State Fair. SU would like to get out of managing the Dome and just pay rent. Current tax breaks keeps SU profitable for running the Dome but they would like to have a stadium authority run a building. Other camps of folks are into renovating but issues with games away from Cuse.

Throw in the NY State involvement...and I could very easily see a new SOA stadium for both teams north of Downtown. My biggest issue is there has to be a way to get folks there using more than just cars and buses.

TM - there is land still available near the new concert amphitheater with plenty of parking for tailgating. The camp that wants to build the 3 schools also argues about the parking congestion & drinking. NYS money is required to get this done and I thought the $250 mill plus was still on the table but would funnel through the County Exec and not the Mayor on this one. NYS could back it if all NYS high school sports championships were allowed to play there. Big negative is off campus site but tailgating/drinking can bring out a lot of students. Could also be located closer to Destiny inner harbor but that brings Mayor back into the picture. Cuomo really has a great relationship with our County Exec and quite the opposite with our Mayor even though they below to opposing political parties - go figure.

The other thing is getting the DOT to build an exit ramp to get to and from Drumlins. DOT already said its not going to be taken into account in the scope of the I-81 rebuild and they may bring down the overpass anyway so there are major issues with Drumlins.

Wouldn't rule out a brand new stadium just yet as long as NYS funding is still on table.

Last edited:
Cusefan78 said:
Oy vey. How's the view from up there on that... Eh, never mind.

In fairness, you are talking about a $500m renovation, when the University had previously ruled out a retractable roof, on a condensed timeline, when structurally many have concluded it is not feasible, while moving all home games to an outdated NFL stadium in a city hours from NY's center of population. Oh, and your original post said, "Probably nothing."

All of that being said, while I am skeptical, i was also a naysayer on the whole syracuse-ny stadium thread a year or so ago and I was definitely wrong on that (the fact there was real discussion about the possibility and may have been a go if not for the mayor). I'm cautiously optimistic something great will happen here though and hope your post proves to be 100% true (except the Ralph Wilson part which is a nightmare).

Probably nothing, but there is a rumor going around that an announcement is coming pertaining to the dome renovation. Supposedly all home games next year will be played at the Ralph while a retractable roof is added to the dome. An open roof would have been a blessing Friday night.

Wouldn't surprise me. I posted in April of last year that the renovation was $200 million and was for a new roof and tailgating area outside the Dome. Great news.

Would/could be a huge project along with Med School.
IF it is to be done, it must be done to get ahead of, and not to just catch up to, our football competitors.

We played all games on the road the year the Dome was built.
i know we played all games on the road but not necessarily at the opponents stadium as implied by the op as away games