Saint Dougie... | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

Saint Dougie...

It's funny you say that. Going to SU was the first time I met people (mostly New Yorkers) who did NOT root for their local teams. Most everyone I knew growing up in Mass. only rooted for New England teams (unless there was some family connection someplace else). Got to SU and I met a bunch of kids from downstate who were randomly fans of other teams. Made no sense to me.
I’ll give u that...at least for football and basketball. Baseball, most stick to 1 of the 2 and nobody really follows hockey outside of the WNY sabres fans.

But football always annoyed me that not everyone was a Giants fan. Even in HS it was that way. While the Giants had the most fans, if you lined them all up and then lined up all the poke, redskin, dolphin and raider fans...it would be an even fight.

It's funny you say that. Going to SU was the first time I met people (mostly New Yorkers) who did NOT root for their local teams. Most everyone I knew growing up in Mass. only rooted for New England teams (unless there was some family connection someplace else). Got to SU and I met a bunch of kids from downstate who were randomly fans of other teams. Made no sense to me.
I didn't grow up with one kid that wasn't a fan of Boston sports either. All of my friends and family rooted for the home teams.

Had the same experience as you at SU. Would ask someone "Jets or Giants?" and get back Cowboys/49ers/etc.

My Sr. thesis paper was 35 pages of data detailing fandom by NFL Franchise throughout NYS. It also detailed media coverage across NYS and how it was skewed to each NFL franchise by city. The statistics were pretty crazy...

Even though media coverage in Syracuse - what I'll call middle ground - was slanted to the Bills over the Giants almost 66/33 over the course of my Sr. Year, the fans in Syracuse were dominantly NYG. The sample sizes were pulled from multiple outlets. The Giants, then Bills and then Dolphins/Jets/Patriots/Cowboys/Steelers, etc. were the larger ones I can remember. The AFC East held a much larger percentage of the population by Division when you excluded the Giants, than any other.

As the cities continued East & West, the results skewed as you would anticipate.

The data ended up being pretty inconclusive, and didn't prove that the media held significant sway. Basically, the entirety of Upstate was a melting pot, my professor loved the theory and published certain parts of the research in his own works.

I have to try to dig it up from a box somewhere.

My Sr. thesis paper was 35 pages of data detailing fandom by NFL Franchise throughout NYS. It also detailed media coverage across NYS and how it was skewed to each NFL franchise by city. The statistics were pretty crazy...

Even though media coverage in Syracuse - what I'll call middle ground - was slanted to the Bills over the Giants almost 66/33 over the course of my Sr. Year, the fans in Syracuse were dominantly NYG. The sample sizes were pulled from multiple outlets. The Giants, then Bills and then Dolphins/Jets/Patriots/Cowboys/Steelers, etc. were the larger ones I can remember. The AFC East held a much larger percentage of the population by Division when you excluded the Giants, than any other.

As the cities continued East & West, the results skewed as you would anticipate.

The data ended up being pretty inconclusive, and didn't prove that the media held significant sway. Basically, the entirety of Upstate was a melting pot, my professor loved the theory and published certain parts of the research in his own works.

So then, Dougie was a Giant's fan? ;):)

1. You said he didn't apologize. I provided proof he did.
2. I said what he did was wrong and a dirty play. So how am I rationalizing?
3. I didn't advocate for my team to cheap shot a player like the poster I was responding to.
Its not really an apology unless its directly to the offended. Just saying.

Nice job, nerd.

I grew up in Syracuse in the 70s and that dovetails with my recollection.

Among my group of friends, there were Dolphins, Cowboys and Steelers fans. I cannot remember anyone rooting for either the Bills or Giants as their primary team because both were terrible. Heck, I had a poster of Franco Harris and was a Steelers fan. I was also a Giants fan but they were awful.

I was a front-runner and so were my friends.

I kept my Giants fandom and consider myself a pretty big Giants fan. After college, we had seasons and I went to every home game for years.

However, growing up in Syracuse, I am more passionate about SU than I am about the Giants.

So since supposedly Brady hurt his hand in practice the other day, does this mean they will deflate the ball so he can grip it easier, or is that just for the other team’s benefit?

So since supposedly Brady hurt his hand in practice the other day, does this mean they will deflate the ball so he can grip it easier, or is that just for the other team’s benefit?

or it's completely fake and the patriots are playing mind games

Reactions: FAL
I grew up in Syracuse in the 70s and that dovetails with my recollection.

Among my group of friends, there were Dolphins, Cowboys and Steelers fans. I cannot remember anyone rooting for either the Bills or Giants as their primary team because both were terrible. Heck, I had a poster of Franco Harris and was a Steelers fan. I was also a Giants fan but they were awful.

I was a front-runner and so were my friends.

I kept my Giants fandom and consider myself a pretty big Giants fan. After college, we had seasons and I went to every home game for years.

However, growing up in Syracuse, I am more passionate about SU than I am about the Giants.
I became a Miami fan because of Zonk

The only thing that bothers me about the pats is the number of fans who came out of the woodwork claiming they were lifelong pats fans after they won the first superbowl.

Jacksonville's defense was also bad in the second half. Systematic failure by Marrone today.

Don't take this as taking anything away from marrone but great job by Hackett. I feel bad for bortles. He's a punching bag for no reason

Don't take this as taking anything away from marrone but great job by Hackett. I feel bad for bortles. He's a punching bag for no reason

No reason? He wasn't putting balls where they needed to be. He never made a big play. Hackett's playcalling in the second half stunk.

Thought he called a great game the 1st half and tightened up the 2nd half, to some degree. Some poor play and good game planning by Patriots impacted that too. Thought the Jags D also stopped attacking Brady and let him get way too comfortable. They rarely rushed more than 4 guys the whole 2nd half.

Jacksonville's defense was also bad in the second half. Systematic failure by Marrone today.

You must have been one of the handful of guys who never played football or sports and was calling for Dino to be fired after two 4 win seasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom