SC State Game Thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SC State Game Thread

Chukwu is effin clueless but he's so tall and athletic that it doesn't matter against these guys. He needs to learn where to be. It won't work against the ACC.
He needs to plant himself under the rim on d. He come out way too far and they drive right past him. JB called a timeout to get on him about that and then he did it again

Chukwu just doesn't seem to have a shot blocker's mentality or skills. Not sure what JB was talking about when he said he'd block a lot of shots this year. PC doesn't block with his height and reach. It's almost like he's trying to block shots with the same technique as a guy who's 6'8". I think he's also trying to cover too much ground. Needs to be stationed in the paint, and not running out into the wings. Too many blow-bys and then he's behind the guy with the ball. Not sure if he just needs confidence or time.

I think when we pressed we always pressed way too tight , especially on the ball handlers, so we ended up chasing them instead of staying in front of them. I have no idea why JB never made any adjustments about that.

Virginia stomping the bejeezus out of grambling state.

Our rebounding concerns me. Not strong.
I like the perimeter shooting, though.

Hate our press. Way too hit or miss. no medium and fine line with it

Its fine when Chukwu stays in position. He goes way to high and smaller guys just out run him to basket

Its fine when Chukwu stays in position. He goes way to high and smaller guys just out run him to basket
I thought Keita was limited offensively. Chukwu makes Keita look offensively gifted. 3 turnovers. Maybe over time he'll develop a little.

Chukwu just doesn't seem to have a shot blocker's mentality or skills. Not sure what JB was talking about when he said he'd block a lot of shots this year. PC doesn't block with his height and reach. It's almost like he's trying to block shots with the same technique as a guy who's 6'8". I think he's also trying to cover too much ground. Needs to be stationed in the paint, and not running out into the wings. Too many blow-bys and then he's behind the guy with the ball. Not sure if he just needs confidence or time.
It will come with more game time. He is coming up too far, he needs to just stand in front of the basket like McNeil used to do for us. The press will give up some baskets, but it will cause some mistakes and rushed shots as well. It will get better later in the year. We undervalued Cooney's and Gbinije's D last year.

I think when we pressed we always pressed way too tight , especially on the ball handlers, so we ended up chasing them instead of staying in front of them. I have no idea why JB never made any adjustments about that.
At times we have 3 guys trapping on the ball

I thought Keita was limited offensively. Chukwu makes Keita look offensively gifted. 3 turnovers. Maybe over time he'll develop a little.

To be fair he was hacked on two of them. Yes he put the ball to low down there but he ha his jersey ripped out on one

I don't get the fire for Chukwu. He's playing well in my opinion. Yeah he's making mistakes but he basically alters or blocks every shot in the paint. You can't underestimate the value of that and he will get better.

HoustonCuse said:
I don't get the fire for Chukwu. He's playing well in my opinion. Yeah he's making mistakes but he basically alters or blocks every shot in the paint. You can't underestimate the value of that and he will get better.

Agreed. Between that and DaJuan's 12-14 footer and Lydon as a 5,out center position is light years better.

wish I could watch it

Why cant you? Is it no access or are you just busy with something else? If it's the former, someone could share login info to use espn3. Id share, but im using someone else's!(i dont have cable)

I'm just happy that we are even attempting the press! They will get better as the season progresses, or so I believe. One of my wishes to Boeheim has been answered.

Really wishing the centers wouldnt bring the ball down, Rosie said the same thing.

Nice to see PC go after that ball aggressively.
In other news, Virginia is leading Grambling State 73-22.

Agreed. Between that and DaJuan's 12-14 footer and Lydon as a 5,out center position is light years better.

Good post. Totally different situation than last year [in a great way], where we prayed that we could get anything from Coleman, and Lydon was generally overmatched defensively. And foul trouble was a scary thought. With TT, we have 20 fouls we could use in the middle, and 3 out of those 4 guys can put the ball in the basket.

Lots of options.

Rosie with mention of SHACKLEFORD (Dale, not Rusty, but still awesome!). Really LOVING this game, even with it's faults!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom