Sean Lewis No Longer Calling Plays At Colorado/Hired as New HC at San Diego State | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Sean Lewis No Longer Calling Plays At Colorado/Hired as New HC at San Diego State

He’s going to be fine if he stays. He will get the recruits. But coaching in the P5 is much different than HBCU. This year, they were the Super Bowl. You had clout if you beat them because of all the love they were getting. They had a target on there back. But last night he looked pretty defeated on the sidelines. Wasn’t into it at all, no emotion. Been a long year for him.

A big boy will be coming soon though, and he will have a decision to make. Although this wasn’t the results he wanted, there was progress. He brought in a ton of new talent. They increased the win output and they were better than they have been in a couple years. He will continue to build on that and build a great program. The problem is if he is going to hire coaches and fire coaches on a whim, other coaches are not going to want to work for him. He is a great motivator and great recruiter. But he is not an offensive or defensive coordinator. He is going to have to hire top coordinators for both sides of the ball, and that will prove difficult if your firing them in half a year even when they are extremely successful.

I think he will struggle the longer he stays there. He really needs a 6-6 or better next year and bolt. He is recruiting short term players which makes OL/DL hard to fix. Going to the B12 next year could help. I think he could be good in the SEC but trying to build a program at Colorado is not the right fit for him.

What happens next year without Daniels? Does LSU lose patience? Or Texas struggles moving to the SEC? If he wasn't an FSU guy Florida too. FSU if Norvell leaves for an SEC job? Oregon if Lanning moves? USC?

If he is back for year 3 at Colorado I think he needs a bigger year. Hard to sell a guy going 4-8, 6-6, 6-6 to a major fan base. His 1st two games looked great this year but the last 10 make 6-6 look like a leap.

Falling-off-Bandwagon.jpg

Been away from here for a while but will chip in. Nothing here to really argue with other than I would say the SEC would be the last place he should go. Longtime boosters and ADs of big time programs that answer to those boosters aren't going to give him the keys that he would have at a place like CU. It is the perfect place to try the experiment and yes, the gimmick of hiring such a personality with such little coaching experience. They have nothing to lose after the Karl Dorrell years.

With the Lewis situation an assistant role needed to be opened up in order to bring Shurmur up from analyst to OC and to help coach the O-Line since they have been a turnstyle with O'Boyle. Since O'Boyle was Lewis' guy it has been speculated that Lewis took that demotion instead probably with the idea he'd be on to something else after this year anyway. The offensive line did look much better against Arizona, but regressed against Wazzu. Awful look for Sanders nonetheless with the change during the season when the offense wasn't really the problem.

I dislike the showboating, ego, early season attention and hype, and I also loathed Sanders as a player. That said I am also patient to see what he can do going forward. I think he now sees what he is involved with and he needs to adjust. He wasn't going to flip everything in year one no matter how many players he turned over, and realistic people knew that. He has made in-game mistakes that depth and talent would probably overcome, but he still needs to learn from them. He has staff changes to make on both sides of the ball. I like Lewis' offense but I don't think the personnel fit with it unless some major changes were made. Defense needs a complete overhaul.

Been away from here for a while but will chip in. Nothing here to really argue with other than I would say the SEC would be the last place he should go. Longtime boosters and ADs of big time programs that answer to those boosters aren't going to give him the keys that he would have at a place like CU. It is the perfect place to try the experiment and yes, the gimmick of hiring such a personality with such little coaching experience. They have nothing to lose after the Karl Dorrell years.

With the Lewis situation an assistant role needed to be opened up in order to bring Shurmur up from analyst to OC and to help coach the O-Line since they have been a turnstyle with O'Boyle. Since O'Boyle was Lewis' guy it has been speculated that Lewis took that demotion instead probably with the idea he'd be on to something else after this year anyway. The offensive line did look much better against Arizona, but regressed against Wazzu. Awful look for Sanders nonetheless with the change during the season when the offense wasn't really the problem.

I dislike the showboating, ego, early season attention and hype, and I also loathed Sanders as a player. That said I am also patient to see what he can do going forward. I think he now sees what he is involved with and he needs to adjust. He wasn't going to flip everything in year one no matter how many players he turned over, and realistic people knew that. He has made in-game mistakes that depth and talent would probably overcome, but he still needs to learn from them. He has staff changes to make on both sides of the ball. I like Lewis' offense but I don't think the personnel fit with it unless some major changes were made. Defense needs a complete overhaul.
Interesting regarding Lewis

He probably took this year "step back" to gamble on himself and parlay it into a bigger HC gig than Kent State

He must have an idea of where he wants to go

He’s going to be fine if he stays. He will get the recruits. But coaching in the P5 is much different than HBCU. This year, they were the Super Bowl. You had clout if you beat them because of all the love they were getting. They had a target on there back. But last night he looked pretty defeated on the sidelines. Wasn’t into it at all, no emotion. Been a long year for him.

A big boy will be coming soon though, and he will have a decision to make. Although this wasn’t the results he wanted, there was progress. He brought in a ton of new talent. They increased the win output and they were better than they have been in a couple years. He will continue to build on that and build a great program. The problem is if he is going to hire coaches and fire coaches on a whim, other coaches are not going to want to work for him. He is a great motivator and great recruiter. But he is not an offensive or defensive coordinator. He is going to have to hire top coordinators for both sides of the ball, and that will prove difficult if your firing them in half a year even when they are extremely successful.
I think he's an empty suit. I don't see him as the answer long term at CU.

I think he's an empty suit. I don't see him as the answer long term at CU.
Probably not, but if he can be a bit of a life preserver while new school president Saliman and TBD new chancellor try to get out of the anti-athletics hole dug the last 20 years by the school admin then I'll take him for a few years until a true Xs and Os person can be found. Right now they need players.

my money is on it having more to do with losing your QB coach and OC.

I think if the move worked for Colorado and they won games then I think he stays on board with the new OC. But with Lewis getting scapegoated and it blowing up in Deion's face it was a perfect storm. Winning usually cures all.

Unless Fran has a past with Sean or Wildhack makes a "suggestion" I don't see Lewis in Orange in the fall,

Pete Thamel / Sources: San Diego State has targeted Colorado OC Sean Lewis as the school's next coach, with a deal expected to come together soon. Lewis was a successful head coach at Kent State, where he led the school to its first-ever bowl win and had consistently high-end offenses.