Class of 2018 - SF Cole Swider (RI) Transferring from Villanova to Syracuse | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF Cole Swider (RI) Transferring from Villanova to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
I respect how the kid has handled the process. He was at Elite Camp last summer and we did not offer. He has made his visits, stayed very quiet, and acted like a grown up. He blew up and we offered as he was improving, not early, not late. This is the opposite approach we took with Q Green. Offered early, others waited, he blew up and UK was rewarded. I feel like the staff is working hard, trying to mix it up, using all types of approaches, and we are involved with quality kids to the very end. We will catch a break. Maybe not tomorrow, but it's coming.

For those that see Cole as coming from a close, tight knit, disciplined family that's created a high character kid...consider this...we are the closest school to his family geographically, and substantially so. That worked great for the Cooney family in terms of how many games they watched.

I have no clue where he's going, and hope it's Cuse as much as everyone else. I think we got this one right...did our homework, invited him to Elite Camp, went hard after him last 3-4 months, and were one of his 3 visits. If the kid prefers a different school, good luck to him. This isn't a dropped ball by the staff in any way in my opinion, especially with the transition the staff has gone through in the last 3 months.
Why did we not offer at the Elite camp? Which 2018 recruits did we offer then?

If he goes to the Xavier it means we need to stretch our nets and keep in contact with more kids earlier. Instead we have the feeling we can come in later because we are Syracuse. That needs to go away. We should be offering kids early and offering lots of elite talent saying we want you and will recruit you hard but we aren't going to just offer a few kids.

This kid is exactly what we need a wing shooter who is a multi year player in college basketball. As Cusefan0307 said since he is a skilled wing shooter of course we aren't getting him.

The narrative can't change from we lost to Duke and Kentucky to we lost because the other team was on him longer. This big boy business GMac needs to win these bigger recruits. When he does he will get praise till he does it's frustrating.

Last edited:
I guess you won't be giving Coach K and Jay Wright a pass either.
Great comment. As those coaches really have had a hard time getting their targets.

Coach K barely tried and took the target we spent all offseason on in Tucker.

This is a freaking results oriented business but of course create strawmans. It's good.

Great comment. As those coaches really have had a hard time getting their targets.

Coach K barely tried and took the target we spent all offseason on in Tucker.

This is a freaking results oriented business but of course create strawmans. It's good.
Does GMac need to show something...absolutely! But you cannot compare GMac recruiting a guy and Coach K barely trying. I'm pretty sure you and I, even being Cuse fans, could probably recruit a top notch talent to play at Duke under K. I don't imagine it would take much.

*This* "dude" was referring to someone saying that SU is "reverting back to the days of TRob recruiting," meaning we are taking a step back. I pointed out that Terrence Roberts was, in fact, a top 50 recruit from a legendary program. If we go back to getting guys ranked like that, sign me up. TRob didn't meet expectations but as a recruit, he was a great get on paper.
I meant the dude you were responding to...

Does GMac need to show something...absolutely! But you cannot compare GMac recruiting a guy and Coach K barely trying. I'm pretty sure you and I, even being Cuse fans, could probably recruit a top notch talent to play at Duke under K. I don't imagine it would take much.
I wasn't comparing GMac to K.
We had a state TV comment basically saying K and Wright should be graded on as tough a curve as GMac.

K and Wright have won lots of recent recruiting battles for top recruits. Our last top recruiting win was Tyus Battle. We have gotten other kids but Battle is our last big time win.

GMac hasn't won our last 2 kids and while the narrative that Kentucky and Duke are bigger can work it can't change to Xavier was on him earlier.

This is a results oriented business.

If he goes to the Xavier it means we need to stretch our nets and keep in contact with more kids earlier. Instead we have the feeling we can come in later because we are Syracuse. That needs to go away. We should be offering kids early and offering lots of elite talent saying we want you and will recruit you hard but we aren't going to just offer a few kids.

This kid is exactly what we need a wing shooter who is a multi year player in college basketball. As Cusefan0307 said since he is a skilled wing shooter of course we aren't getting him.

The narrative can't change from we lost to Duke and Kentucky to we lost because the other team was on him longer. This big boy business GMac needs to win these bigger recruits. When he does he will get praise till he does it's frustrating.

FWIW, while Swider has another year and can move further up, Moyer was rated just as high.

And we have expanded recruiting and have a lot of offers out to '18 kids.

FWIW, while Swider has another year and can move further up, Moyer was rated just as high.

And we have expanded recruiting and have a lot of offers out to '18 kids.

Yeah all our other offers are to athletes and not scorers. That's why I really want this kid. He's an offensive difference maker. Bazley is similar to the forwards we already have.

We had a state TV comment basically saying K and Wright should be graded on as tough a curve as GMac.

K and Wright have won lots of recent recruiting battles for top recruits. Our last top recruiting win was Tyus Battle. We have gotten other kids but Battle is our last big time win.

GMac hasn't won our last 2 kids and while the narrative that Kentucky and Duke are bigger can work it can't change to Xavier was on him earlier.

I'm with ya on that, and I hope we all know the "they/we were on him earlier" line is a bunch of bull. We all saw how that played out with QG (sorry hate to bring it up!)

Agree 100% about being late on prospects. That's the disadvantage to be working so hard on the previous class right down to the wire -- it cuts into your time to cultivate relationships with the next year's class [and the next].

To your last sentence: it IS results oriented. But the outcome is important. Swider is a helluva player, so this isn't me rationalizing, but if we land a Bazley instead of Swider, then losing Swider won't matter.

I agree with this completely and its why I am a bit fearful. Losing at the last moment to K is one thing. Losing to Xavier after we have built a solid relationship with the recruit, albeit for a shorter period of time, is scary. Puts us on a much lower level than the teams we are directly trying to compete with. Xavier doesn't have to play an ACC schedule, we do. We need to win against them and get better players than they do.

Swider is a helluva player, so this isn't me rationalizing, but if we land a Bazley instead of Swider, then losing Swider won't matter.

My concern is that line of thinking has gotten us into trouble. Swider is really important, and missing out on him would make Bazley a necessity. I like closing the deal early. It sets a tone, and makes it easier for the other dominoes to fall into place. It gives confidence to other recruits. We NEED Swider! Go 'Cuse!

Agree 100% about being late on prospects. That's the disadvantage to be working so hard on the previous class right down to the wire -- it cuts into your time to cultivate relationships with the next year's class [and the next].

To your last sentence: it IS results oriented. But the outcome is important. Swider is a helluva player, so this isn't me rationalizing, but if we land a Bazley instead of Swider, then losing Swider won't matter.
I will say small forward power forward isn't our most critical need anyways. That said Swider is a great player... but Bazley is a level beyond. If I could pick only one, it would be Bazley.

Yeah all our other offers are to athletes and not scorers. That's why I really want this kid. He's an offensive difference maker. Bazley is similar to the forwards we already have.

Exact reason I want him. Shooting. Just pointing out though that we have lots of offers out. As to Bazley, IMO, he's better than any F we have and Swider. Others have said it, but he reminds me of D.C. Even the HS build and being left handed.

My concern is that line of thinking has gotten us into trouble. Swider is really important, and missing out on him would make Bazley a necessity. I like closing the deal early. It sets a tone, and makes it easier for the other dominoes to fall into place. It gives confidence to other recruits. We NEED Swider!

How does it get us into trouble? You can't land every prospect.

I want Swider because of the outside shooting. But the world doesn't end if we don't land him -- we loaded up on forwards last class. He'd be a terrific add because of what he can do.

FWIW, I don't expect to land Bazley either. So maybe we ARE in trouble!

Exact reason I want him. Shooting. Just pointing out though that we have lots of offers out. As to Bazley, IMO, he's better than any we have and Swider. Others have said it, but he reminds me of D.C. Even the HS build and being left handed.

I'm not sure Bazley is better than Swider. He might be more athletic. Even so he is similar to Oshae and Moyer. I don't see how signing him helps us diversify our offense. I wish we would go after more guys like Swider.

I'm not sure Bazley is better than Swider. He might be more athletic. Even so he is similar to Oshae and Moyer. I don't see how signing him helps us diversify our offense. I wish we would go after more guys like Swider.

Bazley is like Billy Owens lite in terms of versatility. There's more to it than just being "more athletic."

How does it get us into trouble? You can't land every prospect.

I want Swider because of the outside shooting. But the world doesn't end if we don't land him -- we loaded up on forwards last class. He'd be a terrific add because of what he can do.

FWIW, I don't expect to land Bazley either. So maybe we ARE in trouble!

I guess I just think landing a top recruit early in the game is really important. Heck it could be Carey or Duke, any top guy really. I said Swider because he's making his announcement tomorrow. This is really BIG in my opinion.:)

Bazley is like Billy Owens lite in terms of versatility. There's more to it than just being "more athletic."

Ehh. I followed him in EYBL. He's a solid passer and great finisher, but he can't shoot. He's a 4.

Ehh. I followed him in EYBL. He's a solid passer and great finisher, but he can't shoot. He's a 4.

So what? Like I said, Billy Owens lite [down to the inconsistent outside shot]. Kid can really put the ball on the floor and is a terrific rebounder. He would be an amazing "get" for this program.

So what? Like I said, Billy Owens lite [down to the inconsistent outside shot]. Kid can really put the ball on the floor and is a terrific rebounder. He would be an amazing "get" for this program.

That's fine, but at some point we need to sign guys who can consistently knock down shots. We didn't in 2017 and Swider is the only guy that fits that mold in 18. We've seen what happens when you construct teams that do most of their damage in the paint. (See 2013-2015).

That's fine, but at some point we need to sign guys who can consistently knock down shots. We didn't in 2017 and Swider is the only guy that fits that mold in 18. We've seen what happens when you construct teams that do most of their damage in the paint. (See 2013-2015).

Very important for guys like Brissett, Dolezaj, Hughes, and Washington to disprove that contention. No argument there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom