Class of 2018 - SF Cole Swider (RI) Transferring from Villanova to Syracuse | Page 45 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF Cole Swider (RI) Transferring from Villanova to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with most of your post -- very disturbing trend -- with the exception of the part about not being the leader for any main targets. That might not be true--will be interesting to see what happens with Bazley, and I've heard that we might be out front with an "old" name people aren't talking about that would be an enormous bounce back from losing Swider. What happens next is going to determine if the trend continues, or losing Swider is unfortunate but not a huge deal.

Like you, I'm not sure how things will unfold for 2018.

I'm gonna get my hopes up again. One of these times it will pay off. Hopefully, Cal isn't paying him off now. On? Not sure the wording there. Anyway.

That would be huge. Just to even get back in the mix. He could take over here from day one.

We have guards, and guards on the way. I'm done talking to the collective brick wall here that think it's doomsday for SU basketball, and JB.

As we are in 2017, talking about 2018 recruits. Rinse, and repeat here.

Meltdown, resume. Aaaaand go.
Swider is not a guard, but he is capable of handling the ball and shooting, which we lack at the three. I am not a brick wall, I love the POTENTIAL of our team, particularly our forwards, but I don't understand why people try to justify our recruiting losses by throwing out players who haven't played a second of D1 basketball and are huge question marks. These aren't consensus top 25 recruits here.

All this team is right now is potential, and there is no basis for the over the top optimism you are displaying. Howard Washington is underrated for example, how do you know that? Have you seen him play against ACC caliber competition or at all for that matter? When's the last time you saw Marek play? These guys are so unknown at the moment, yet you want to jump down other's throats for pointing out the fact we have been picking up the scraps the past two years or relying on grad transfers. I am not saying they won't be great, but we don't know that.

As a fan of the team and a realist, I look at what we currently have as PROVEN players. I can really only think of one guy who has played well for us, Tyus Battle. Taurean Thompson played the worst defense I have ever seen last season and even though he is great on offense, he needs to improve tremendously on D or it doesn't make a difference. Thorpe will likely be solid, but again it's an unknown as he played on a terrible team and had a free run at whatever he wanted. Our entire team is basically a project, and missing out on guys who can contribute immediately as scorers is tough. How long are we supposed to let this go on before we begin to worry?

Swider is not a guard, but he is capable of handling the ball and shooting, which we lack at the three. I am not a brick wall, I love the POTENTIAL of our team, particularly our forwards, but I don't understand why people try to justify our recruiting losses by throwing out players who haven't played a second of D1 basketball and are huge question marks. These aren't consensus top 25 recruits here. All this team is right now is potential, and there is no basis for the over the top optimism you are displaying. Howard Washington is underrated for example, how do you know that? Have you seen him play against ACC caliber competition or at all for that matter? When's the last time you saw Marek play? These guys are so unknown at the moment, yet you want to jump down other's throats for pointing out the fact we have been picking up the scraps the past two years or relying on grad transfers. I am not saying they won't be great, but we don't know that. As a fan of the team and a realist, I look at what we currently have as PROVEN players. I can really only think of one guy who has played well for us, Tyus Battle. Taurean Thompson played the worst defense I have ever seen last season and even though he is great on offense, he needs to improve tremendously on D or it doesn't make a difference. Thorpe will likely be solid, but again it's an unknown as he played on a terrible team and had a free run at whatever he wanted. Our entire team is basically a project, and missing out on guys who can contribute immediately as scorers is tough. How long are we supposed to let this go on before we begin to worry?

You lost me with the essay, but Swider is no more proven than any of our incoming players. So, not sure your point. He would be another piece to the so-called project.

Ironic. I say guys can contribute immediately, and they aren't proven. Yet, you say Swider could contribute immediately like it's proven.

You lost me with the essay, but Swider is no more proven than any of our incoming players. So, not sure your point. He would be another piece to the so-called project.

Ironic. I say guys can contribute immediately, and they aren't proven. Yet, you say Swider could contribute immediately like it's proven.
Swider is a better shooter than anyone we have currently, that is proven.

How an engaged fan that follows recruiting cannot be concerned about the bball program right know does not compute in my brain. I have been concerned since the last year of the NCAA investigation and its only been growing since then. I'm not saying its all doom and gloom or that we will become BC in the next five years just that I am very concerned. This is a pivotal recruiting cycle! Its not over but as a program we are getting sort of desperate to make a big splash in recruiting.

Sure thing. Geno shot almost 38% in College, but it's a fact that Cole would do better because some AAU stats. Gotcha.

Also, HW shot at a level near Cole but isn't proven. Makes sense.
He shot 37.5% and the 2 seasons before that he shot 30%, come on. Cole was the best 3 point shooter in the best high school league in the nation.

If you are talking about who I think you are that would be a shocking development and even so leading for him now may be meaningless as things draw out. Obviously I hope you are correct.
The funny thing is if it's the same guy we all think then it sucks. He likes us, thinks he fits well with us, actuallly likes the zone and is in close proximity. However he's waiting for that Kentucky offere. If he doesn't get it during the U19 stuff will he ever get it? I dont know but it would be tough to wait and see.

How an engaged fan that follows recruiting cannot be concerned about the bball program right know does not compute in my brain. I have been concerned since the last year of the NCAA investigation and its only been growing since then. I'm not saying its all doom and gloom or that we will become BC in the next five years just that I am very concerned. This is a pivotal recruiting cycle! Its not over but as a program we are getting sort of desperate to make a big splash in recruiting.
The thing that stands out to me are the comments of many current recruits. The teams grabbing them( outside the elites) are offering early and seriously courting them by showing love (constant contact) and appearing to really caring about them and their successful futures. Their moms, for the most part, have influence regarding their decisions and what them to go where they will be revered and looked after. Hop was good at this. Boeheim seems to have a sense of entitlement and doesn't appear( and I don't know for sure) to show the love and attention they require My opinion

Ok, I missed a few pages in the last 24 hours, but how did he go from a Duke lock, to a Xavier sure thing, to a Nova commit. Sounds like around 3:30 he'll be a Cuse done deal!

Let's clear up something. Boeheim is never leaving on his own accord. Wildhack punted the tough decision down the road. I believe that was a horrible decision but who knows who it will all turn out. I do know it's hard to win without really good players.

If you mean JB will leave on his terms, I'm with you. He will do it without fanfare or a farewell tour. He will just step down. Complete guess based on nothing - JB and Wildhack have an understanding of what that will look like and approximately when it will happen.

The funny thing is if it's the same guy we all think then it sucks. He likes us, thinks he fits well with us, actuallly likes the zone and is in close proximity. However he's waiting for that Kentucky offere. If he doesn't get it during the U19 stuff will he ever get it? I dont know but it would be tough to wait and see.
I think you're talking King, right? Can I hope to God RF is talking about Killa?

If you mean JB will leave on his terms, I'm with you. He will do it without fanfare or a farewell tour. He will just step down. Complete guess based on nothing - JB and Wildhack have an understanding of what that will look like and approximately when it will happen.

I think he's saying the opposite.

I think you're talking King, right? Can I hope to God RF is talking about Killa?

Why not both?

I took it as Killa, myself.

But, that was wishful thinking so must be King.

I think he's saying the opposite.

You're probably right, SBC. As an aside, I have always respected Mason's take. He has been "here" for as long as I can remember (pre Julius Hodge days). On this one, my instinct is that JB and Wildhack have a mutual understanding of how this will go down.

That video actually makes me kind of sad. To see the kind of offense we use to play. Or as the video puts it "all out offense" "basketball the way it was meant to be played" "high speed assault" "wide open game"

All of the things that made the dome and the 'Cuse so great. Just night and day from the style we play now.

Last edited:
You're probably right, SBC. As an aside, I have always respected Mason's take. He has been "here" for as long as I can remember (pre Julius Hodge days). On this one, my instinct is that JB and Wildhack have a mutual understanding of how this will go down.

I agree. I think Wildhack is too astute to walk into the extension without agreeing on the ending. I will be surprised if JB plays out the whole length of the contract.

Also, I think Wildhack will then be buying a "name" coach. He will want his "mark" on the program, and who he chooses will determine what his legacy will be. I sure hope he turns out to be good at choosing coaches.

That video actually makes me kind of sad. To see the kind of offense we use to play. Or as the video puts it "all out offense" "basketball the way it was meant to be played" "high speed assault" "wide open game"

All of the things that made the dome and the' Cuse so great. Just night and day from the style we play now.

And Boeheim pointing out that we'd had the All Big East Point Guard for 6 straight seasons, at that point.

Agree with most of your post -- very disturbing trend -- with the exception of the part about not being the leader for any main targets. That might not be true--will be interesting to see what happens with Bazley, and I've heard that we might be out front with an "old" name people aren't talking about that would be an enormous bounce back from losing Swider. What happens next is going to determine if the trend continues, or losing Swider is unfortunate but not a huge deal.

Like you, I'm not sure how things will unfold for 2018.
Sam Perkins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors