Class of 2018 - SF Louis King (NJ) to Oregon | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF Louis King (NJ) to Oregon

Exactly! I would have to think that with kings situation and naming us in the top 8 that we would pursue him very hard now that we don't have to worry about where or who gets a scholarship. I'll admit I've been getting way ahead of myself and far too excited about certain possibilities for the 18 class and who it could end up being but I'm not sure how as a cuse fan you wouldn't be excited at the idea of bazley/carey/king coming in together and from a outsider with zero inside knowledge it "seems" as if we have a chance at it! But when I see certain posters so confidently posting we will NOT land king or have no chance etc etc I have to ask why?

We potentially have a huge logjam of bodies at the 3-ish position. We have a gazillion tweeners.
King would be the best true 3 out of any of them, but it's still a potential issue for our chances of landing him - with these guys all currently projected to be part of the 2018 roster (assumes Tyus goes Pro after this season):
Hughes 2/3
Buddy B - 2/3
Marek - 2/3
OSB - 4/3
Matty Nice 4/3
DBaze 4/3

It's not a function of our program vs/ those other 7, but the opportunity for immediate PT at his position.
It's possible, and rather likely, that he'll have a much clearer path to PT at one of those others. That's all.

We potentially have a huge logjam of bodies at the 3-ish position. We have a gazillion tweeners.
King would be the best true 3 out of any of them, but it's still a potential issue for our chances of landing him - with these guys all currently projected to be part of the 2018 roster (assumes Tyus goes Pro after this season):
Hughes 2/3
Buddy B - 2/3
Marek - 2/3
OSB - 4/3
Matty Nice 4/3
DBaze 4/3

It's not a function of our program vs/ those other 7, but the opportunity for immediate PT at his position.
It's possible, and rather likely, that he'll have a much clearer path to PT at one of those others. That's all.
Don't forget Hughes, could be biggest block to landing this kid...

Don't forget the very first guy I listed? I'll try not to. :p
D'oh...
D'oh.jpg

If he can't earn playing time against those players, he won't be playing in the NBA.

Dion couldn't earn much PT his Frosh year - but made it to the NBA.
MCW couldn't earn much PT his Frost year - but made it to the NBA.

a LOT of players (I'd say the overwhelming majority) will look for situations that favor them, and getting PT.

Question - If you're Lou King, why would you go to a program with a huge logjam of dudes who might play your position?
When one or more of the others (which are just as good) might have a clear path to getting tons of run right away?

Answer - you probably wouldn't.

Hughes 2/3
Buddy B - 2/3
Marek - 2/3
OSB - 4/3
Matty Nice 4/3
DBaze 4/3

Good points and very true...i like to think of king used as a 2/3 in our system but even if they did use him like that we have hughes already and i tend to forget we have him in our stable already and will be unleashed next year...not sure if buddy and marek would scare king away but I guess it all just depends on where the staff sees all of these guys playing...its kinda hard to figure it out because like u said we do have a bunch of tweener type guys that could fill spots but don't really fit them the best. The progression of brissett would certainly come into play as he and marek will probably be our best options at the 3 for now and will they still be around after this year?(I would like to think so) King would absolutely be a perfect 3 for us! But does that mean bazley will be used at the 4? (Moyer eventually the odd man out? Unless he ends up being much better then expected for us?) I'll admit I don't know much about the rosters of the other teams in play and he may have a much more clear path to PT with little to no competition. I miss the days when we were so deep and talented that we had guys like mcw and waiters coming off the bench! Would be great to get back to that type of depth/talent someday!

a LOT of players (I'd say the overwhelming majority) will look for situations that favor them, and getting PT.

Question - If you're Lou King, why would you go to a program with a huge logjam of dudes who might play your position?
When one or more of the others (which are just as good) might have a clear path to getting tons of run right away?

Current roster is definitely a consideration, but only one of many factors I would use to choose a school. The kid is a top 15 player, as much as we like and have talked up MM, OB and MD, none of them sniffed the top 20. I would be shocked if every other school on his list didn't have about the same number of guys on their rosters at the position(s) he would play. The top programs have talent behind talent, it is up to our coaches to sell our program.

Did it stop Baze? No? So it wouldn't stop King because again we're talking about a top 15 prospect, whom aren't afraid players who aren't in the top 50 or in Oshaes case barely. If we're the school he likes then he'll come here.

Current roster is definitely a consideration, but only one of many factors I would use to choose a school. The kid is a top 15 player, as much as we like and have talked up MM, OB and MD, none of them sniffed the top 20. I would be shocked if every other school on his list didn't have about the same number of guys on their rosters at the position(s) he would play. The top programs have talent behind talent, it is up to our coaches to sell our program.
OB and MD weren't in the rankings because they were playing out of the country. They might or might not have been in the top 20. Probably not but I can hope they would have been.

OB and MD weren't in the rankings because they were playing out of the country. They might or might not have been in the top 20. Probably not but I can hope they would have been.
I whole heartedly think they will play like top 20 players, but my point is, On paper, Louis King is looking at a bunch of no name players.

This thread highlights how important it will for us to secure a commitment from Carey after his visit next week.

Regardless of next year's team outlook, let's line up Baze / Carey to make this an attractive destination locale for a prospect like King.

This thread highlights how important it will for us to secure a commitment from Carey after his visit next week.

Regardless of next year's team outlook, let's line up Baze / Carey to make this an attractive destination locale for a prospect like King.

It's possible but I don't think Carey is in any rush to make a decision.

I feel like we talk about kids committing on/after visits and it just never happens.

I'm prepared to have to wait out all his visits.

I feel like we talk about kids committing on/after visits and it just never happens.

I'm prepared to have to wait out all his visits.

I think I worded it funny. I didn't mean that he'd commit on his visit, just that we need to make a good impression on him during his visit so we emerge as the front runners, to help elevate our stock with the rest of the class of 2018 prospects we're pursuing.

It's possible but I don't think Carey is in any rush to make a decision.
If he likes what he's sees as a final idicator then he could if big his timetable isn't that long either. He said he wants to commit before his high school season starts and that's right around the corner.

So I'm not sure how any of this king going in 17 even started because as far as I know I have never read or heard anywhere that that was ever even a option or on the table for Louis...besides that it's a little late for that anyways I would think...but I would really like to know why you are so sure that we won't or can't land king for 18? You seem to often post with such confidence like your in the "know" but u never elaborate on the topics much... always short n sweet or short and sour it seems...I certainly understand if you are in the "know" that sometimes there are things u can't say but was curious as to what makes u so sure king to cuse in 18 isn't a likely possibility? When I look at that list I like our chances IF our staff goes all out for him and makes him a priority. Would have to think the possible idea of teaming up with bazley and carey would intrigue any recruit? Carey and king also know each other pretty well I believe so that could help? We should always be in contention for some of the talented jersey/ny players...at least that's how I feel!

never sour, always happy, can't go into details, 100% not happening

Cuseky, you're a good poster so I want you to be aware that this King reclass stuff is MY fault, not dreaming's. I was the one that put up the post - and it's nothing more than wild speculation. I didn't mean to create any drama or unrealistic expectations. That's why I said, "tell me it's impossible". I was half-kidding and have ZERO knowledge that something like this is a possibility. Just clearing that up.

thanks REEDNY!

Can't details

Look at his final teams - top 20 kid missing the following schools we compete against on a yearly basis or have recruited notable players past few years - for example missing are Kentucky, Arizona, UCLA, Washington, Louisville, Miami, UNC, LSU, Texas, Duke, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Wake Forest, Nova, Missouri, Alabama, G Tech and so on

and - Kentucky, Arizona, Duke, Miami, etc. are almost always on the same kids as us or always in on top 25 - always

Maryland, Seton Hall & U Conn are both playing a different game these days from what i have seen

If Hop is not pushing for him (if he was he would have been in final 8 ahead of Purdue)

Only wishing him the best and wishing SU the best

Can't details

Look at his final teams - top 20 kid missing the following schools we compete against on a yearly basis or have recruited notable players past few years - for example missing are Kentucky, Arizona, UCLA, Washington, Louisville, Miami, UNC, LSU, Texas, Duke, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Wake Forest, Nova, Missouri, Alabama, G Tech and so on

and - Kentucky, Arizona, Duke, Miami, etc. are almost always on the same kids as us or always in on top 25 - always

Maryland, Seton Hall & U Conn are both playing a different game these days from what i have seen

If Hop is not pushing for him (if he was he would have been in final 8 ahead of Purdue)

Only wishing him the best and wishing SU the best
What does this even mean???