Class of 2018 - SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland

We've missed the NCAA's twice in the last 3 years and we were lucky to get in last year. He wants to get into the NCAA Tournament, why is that not valid?

You're right returning to PSA won't develop him like 'Cuse would in 2017. But if he's more focused on Kansas, UK, etc who want him for 2018, he would wait.

I feel it's somewhat disrespectful to the program to judge us on a couple NITs. We've also been to 2 final fours in the last 5 years. That gets conveniently left out. Syracuse has also had more first round draft picks then basically everyone not named Kentucky in the last 10 years. I understand kids taking their time and not rushing into decisions. It's smart. But at the end of the day I want kids that want to be in Syracuse. Judging the program because of 2 NITs is shortsighted.

Don't see the downside in 2017 for him = unless he doesn't think he's physically ready.

Our roster is a tournament team. Add in Ayala and Tucker and it is a no doubt tournament team. We aren't BC.

ummm...our current roster prior to adding Ayala or Tucker is about 5 games worse than this years I'd imagine. So hopefully it wasn't the NCAA tournament you are referring to.

Keep in mind, we're not seeing Axe's questions, only Ayala's answers.

I feel it's somewhat disrespectful to the program to judge us on a couple NITs. We've also been to 2 final fours in the last 5 years. That gets conveniently left out. Syracuse has also had more first round draft picks then basically everyone not named Kentucky in the last 10 years. I understand kids taking their time and not rushing into decisions. It's smart. But at the end of the day I want kids that want to be in Syracuse. Judging the program because of 2 NITs is shortsighted.

To us, yes, but to a kid who only plans to stay 1 or 2 years it is not. He has one shot to get this right. He has two goals: get drafted and play in the NCAA tournament (mainly in service of goal #1). If he selects wrong, and his school misses the NCAA Tournament 1 or 2 of his years, that is a major missed opportunity for him. So I understand him being concerned about it. That said, even UK missed the tournament a couple years ago. And picking a school where there is gobs of playing time is sort of at odds with this desire to have bulletproof NCAA tourney access, because the very fact of having those minutes available means a team has lost a lot. We are a perfect example. If we had the roster we'd normally have, we'd be a lock for the tourney but also not necessarily have all the PT he wants. It's a big decision for him, we'll see what he does. If I am playing the percentages, I think Syracuse is a pretty safe bet among schools who are willing to give monster minutes.

If he really is going to drag this out (which he has every right to do) then it will be interesting to see how the grad school market plays out, I know Gillon and White made late decisions last year but with the PG it would be nice to be a tad selective and find someone who is on the taller side of the PG spectrum and will fit into the defensive system right away rather then having to adjust as we go. If we can sure things up defensively and the PG plays consistently and within his skill set then I'm confident we will be in the tournament again. It would be a real shame if Ayala plays us and we haven't been talking to anyone on the 5th year market.

Yeah I don't think he's goin to Syracuse this year unless we're telling him he's getting the keys from day 1, which I don't believe we are,based on article he seems he's goin to wait imo

ummm...our current roster prior to adding Ayala or Tucker is about 5 games worse than this years I'd imagine. So hopefully it wasn't the NCAA tournament you are referring to.
Yeah i'm probably a little too optimistic. But I think Battle and TT will take massive steps forwards this year. I like Brissett a lot, I think Moyer/Sidbie will be solid contirbutors as well. I haven't given up on Frank Howard yet.

I know, I'm an idiot lol

Yeah i'm probably a little too optimistic. But I think Battle and TT will take massive steps forwards this year. I like Brissett a lot, I think Moyer/Sidbie will be solid contirbutors as well. I haven't given up on Frank Howard yet.

I know, I'm an idiot lol

Optimism is very much out of style right now, but you are not an idiot. I haven't given up on PC yet. How's that for pollyanna stupid?

To us, yes, but to a kid who only plans to stay 1 or 2 years it is not. He has one shot to get this right. He has two goals: get drafted and play in the NCAA tournament (mainly in service of goal #1). If he selects wrong, and his school misses the NCAA Tournament 1 or 2 of his years, that is a major missed opportunity for him. So I understand him being concerned about it. That said, even UK missed the tournament a couple years ago. And picking a school where there is gobs of playing time is sort of at odds with this desire to have bulletproof NCAA tourney access, because the very fact of having those minutes available means a team has lost a lot. We are a perfect example. If we had the roster we'd normally have, we'd be a lock for the tourney but also not necessarily have all the PT he wants. It's a big decision for him, we'll see what he does. If I am playing the percentages, I think Syracuse is a pretty safe bet among schools who are willing to give monster minutes.

Definitely in agreement here for the most part. Just think he's being a diva. He wants everything to be perfect. Well guess what kid. Nothing is perfect in this life. All his concerns could be voiced about any of the top programs in ththe country. College bball is a slippery slope. He seems to want a lot for a kid who's barely top 50 in 18'. When you're a top 15 player I get it. Ayala isn't even close to that at this point. Seems like another Q Green situation where he's too Hollywood for Syracuse.

Definitely in agreement here for the most part. Just think he's being a diva. He wants everything to be perfect. Well guess what kid. Nothing is perfect in this life. All his concerns could be voiced about any of the top programs in ththe country. College bball is a slippery slope. He seems to want a lot for a kid who's barely top 50 in 18'. When you're a top 15 player I get it. Ayala isn't even close to that at this point. Seems like another Q Green situation where he's too Hollywood for Syracuse.
This is why athletes are taught to speak in cliches and give terrible interviews.

cool, you gonna drop wisdom like you did during the Q.Green aftermath?

We have a better chance of landing Tucker right now. As far as PG's, the 2018 class is a lot weaker than the 2016 & 2017 class. I would have liked to see the staff go hard on Immanuel Quickley who is the #1 PG in the 2018 class. He's from Maryland so I would think he could have been a reasonable get. Darius Garland or Jonathan Kabongo would have been 2 other kids that I would have liked them to go after as well. At this point I think our best hope in the 2018 class is to try and somehow land Quinerly. But at this point I think the higher and higher his stock rises the less of a chance we have to get him. I would like to see the staff land Andrew Nembhard from Montverde. The Canadian kid who reminds me a bit of Tyler Ennis. He's in the 2019 class. The trick to recruiting is to build a relationship with these kids as early as possible. Even then things can change in the bat of an eye.

We have a better chance of landing Tucker right now. As far as PG's, the 2018 class is a lot weaker than the 2016 & 2017 class. I would have liked to see the staff go hard on Immanuel Quickley who is the #1 PG in the 2018 class. He's from Maryland so I would think he could have been a reasonable get. Darius Garland or Jonathan Kabongo would have been 2 other kids that I would have liked them to go after as well. At this point I think our best hope in the 2018 class is to try and somehow land Quinerly. But at this point I think the higher and higher his stock rises the less of a chance we have to get him. I would like to see the staff land Andrew Nembhard from Montverde. The Canadian kid who reminds me a bit of Tyler Ennis. He's in the 2019 class. The trick to recruiting is to build a relationship with these kids as early as possible. Even then things can change in the bat of an eye.
We do not have a better chance of landing Tucker than Ayala. Just not true. I hope we get both. Something really strange would have to happen for us not to get Ayala.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom