Class of 2020 - SG Justin Powell / Transfer from Auburn to Tennessee | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 SG Justin Powell / Transfer from Auburn to Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d like this kid as our starting pg which joe and symir as our backup guards.

I’d like this kid as our starting pg which joe and symir as our backup guards.
Who wouldn't? I read where kentucky says they are out. That is good news. Give me Powell at the 1, Buddy at the 2, Benny at the 3, Swider at the 4 and Edwards at the 5, and I don't care who we lost. Throw Joe and Jimmy and Symir as back ups. We won't be on the bubble with that team.

That can also shoot 40% from 3. To go along with Buddy. To go along with Swider. To go along with Benny. And a 7 footer at center. Please. Please. But I doubt it.

Dasher, as you know we've been friends on this forum for years. 99.9% of the time, we're on the same page with viewpoints.

But not on this. If I have a team of shooters, with even more shooters coming off the bench, what the lineup needs is a guard who can:
  • Penetrate
  • Draw defenders
  • Dish
  • Find open shooters
  • Make defenses adjust due to his ability to attack the basket, and then get his teammates open looks
...not a 5th guy who's a shooter.

We had the former in Kadary, a lead guard who excelled attacking the basket, and had superior court vision. And [for the record] didn't appear to be a bad shooter himself, especially when he got into the lane and was elevating over defenders from mid-range.

Dasher, as you know we've been friends on this forum for years. 99.9% of the time, we're on the same page with viewpoints.

But not on this. If I have a team of shooters, with even more shooters coming off the bench, what the lineup needs is a guard who can:
  • Penetrate
  • Draw defenders
  • Dish
  • Find open shooters
  • Make defenses adjust due to his ability to attack the basket, and then get his teammates open looks
...not a 5th guy who's a shooter.

We had the former in Kadary, a lead guard who excelled attacking the basket, and had superior court vision. And [for the record] didn't appear to be a bad shooter himself, especially when he got into the lane and was elevating over defenders from mid-range.
You can disagree. But a team with a bunch of guys that shoot 40% from 3 is fine by me. We can screen and scheme to get guys open. I don't see us getting Powell because that would take an effort that I don't foresee us giving. But if the moon is in the southern stars and he does commit here, I will be thrilled. Plus RF, as your friend, I don't mind you being wrong once in a while.

You can disagree. But a team with a bunch of guys that shoot 40% from 3 is fine by me. We can screen and scheme to get guys open. I don't see us getting Powell because that would take an effort that I don't foresee us giving. But if the moon is in the southern stars and he does commit here, I will be thrilled. Plus RF, as your friend, I don't mind you being wrong once in a while.
Need to get this kid!!!!

If Jesse can become an offensive low post presence
Agree, and if Jesse can develop in the low post, kick outs are in the mix. Many choices.

Here's what we know:

We already have a guy playing "point guard" who is ostensibly a shooter. Problem is, when he's not hitting shots, he's generally not contributing much otherwise. And we had a guy who was a true lead guard -- our first since Ennis -- who was the same size as Powell, and provided a lot more defensively than Girard. Given my choice between the two with a lineup of four other shooters, I'd prefer the true lead guard.

We also know that after Kadary's departure, the staff quickly pivoted and brought in a transfer PG. As you state, I don't see the staff going out to actively bring in another guard, especially one that will have lots of other suitors. JB just doesn't seem to have the energy / willingness to recruit when those are the circumstances.

We also know that JB is loyal to the incumbent, despite the performance lacking at times. Which again makes it unlikely that he'd go out and seek to recruit over him. So while it WOULD be nice to add Powell, I don't see it happening.

Last point I'll make: sometimes the bird in the hand is better than one in the bush. Would love to be wrong about JB recruiting Powell, but I don't think I am. When the chips are down, and Powell has lots of high major programs in pursuit, JB won't play.

Here's what we know:

We already have a guy playing "point guard" who is ostensibly a shooter. Problem is, when he's not hitting shots, he's generally not contributing much otherwise. And we had a guy who was a true lead guard -- our first since Ennis -- who was the same size as Powell, and provided a lot more defensively than Girard. Given my choice between the two with a lineup of four other shooters, I'd prefer the true lead guard.

We also know that after Kadary's departure, the staff quickly pivoted and brought in a transfer PG. As you state, I don't see the staff going out to actively bring in another guard, especially one that will have lots of other suitors. JB just doesn't seem to have the energy / willingness to recruit when those are the circumstances.

We also know that JB is loyal to the incumbent, despite the performance lacking at times. Which again makes it unlikely that he'd go out and seek to recruit over him. So while it WOULD be nice to add Powell, I don't see it happening.
It just blows my mind that JB seems content to only have 3 guards on the whole roster.

Who wouldn't? I read where kentucky says they are out. That is good news. Give me Powell at the 1, Buddy at the 2, Benny at the 3, Swider at the 4 and Edwards at the 5, and I don't care who we lost. Throw Joe and Jimmy and Symir as back ups. We won't be on the bubble with that team.
Agreed this would be a fantastic team!!!

Here's what we know:

Last point I'll make: sometimes the bird in the hand is better than one in the bush. Would love to be wrong about JB recruiting Powell, but I don't think I am. When the chips are down, and Powell has lots of high major programs in pursuit, JB won't play.
I have said the same about us not playing in the Powell playpen. Having said that, Powell is 6'6 not 6'0. He also shoots at 40% from 3. Not 32%. I would love to have Powell at the 1. That isn't a shot at Kadary. But there are more than one way to skin a cat. And more than one way to win. The team I put out there, would win.

Last edited:
Only way we get serious about Powell is if Swider says no. That’s when I could see us going after him as a point forward type. JB is married to Joe in the backcourt whether we like it or not.

It just blows my mind that JB seems content to only have 3 guards on the whole roster.
I think most schools are going to have issues going forward finding a fourth guard. Kids would rather play at mid majors than ride the pine at a power 5. Howard Washington grew up a diehard Syracuse fan and didn’t even want to do that here.

We could have 9 guards on the roster - JB will only play 3 no matter what lol
True but injuries happen. Need to have 4th guard in case. We were lucky this year.

I have said the same about us not playing in the Powell playpen. Having said that, Powell is 6'6 not 6'0. He also shoots at 40% from 3. Not 32%. I would love to have Powell at the 1. That isn't a shot at Kadary. But there are more than one way to skin a cat. And more than one way to win. The team I put out there, would win.

I think we can both agree that it is better to add as many talented players as we can. And if you recruit over someone? Come what may. But the objective is to win, and the best way to make that happen is to amass the top talent you can.

Not sure why JB doesn't view it through that same lens., or play guys more The season changed and our team became a LOT more formidable over the last 1/3 of the season when suddenly our rotation expanded to 8 guys. Oh well...

Have a great weekend, Dash!

Only way we get serious about Powell is if Swider says no. That’s when I could see us going after him as a point forward type. JB is married to Joe in the backcourt whether we like it or not.
I don’t think he’s married to Joe. I think it’s possible he started Joe because he was experienced and Kadary was not.

JB has a short leash with guys who make the same mistakes or who don’t try to fix what he’s trying to get right.

I think it’s likely Joe starts. I don’t think it’s 100%

I don’t think he’s married to Joe. I think it’s possible he started Joe because he was experienced and Kadary was not.

JB has a short leash with guys who make the same mistakes or who don’t try to fix what he’s trying to get right.

I think it’s likely Joe starts. I don’t think it’s 100%

It's not 100%. It's 1000%.

Barring injury.

If we got this kid along with Swider we would be a top 15 next season.

Powell is the perfect PG for us but I highly doubt we are going to get him.
Wouldn't it be expected that Powell would want a commitment from his new coach that he's the man at his position? The starter? Playing 30 mpg? Has the keys to the Ferrari? That's not the case here. So I can't see him coming here or even any real effort on our part to sell him.

Wouldn't it be expected that Powell would want a commitment from his new coach that he's the man at his position? The starter? Playing 30 mpg? Has the keys to the Ferrari? That's not the case here. So I can't see him coming here or even any real effort on our part to sell him.

See I don’t think Powell necessarily needs to play point. He could play the 2 or 3 too and facilitate too, but it appears Swider is plan A and everyone knows Jimmy is coming as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom