Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 169 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking White would get token minutes at the 2. Maybe start at the 2 with Battle at the 1. And then Gillon would come in at the 1, Battle shifts to the 2, and White shifts to the 3, Lydon plays the 4. Roberson starts at the 4 but comes out when Gillon comes in. A rebounding lineup would be Roberson at the 4 and Lydon at the 5. Whatever happens, this is the kind of problems we should like to have. Coleman starts. Chukwu plays the most minutes at the 5. Of course, do not roast me. This is all speculation. Whatever happens this season I already like this team a whole lot more than the beginning of the 2015-16 season.

Makes sense on offense where the 2 and 3 are pretty interchangeable. But on defense it means he has to learn (and master if he wants to stay on the floor) assignments for both the top and backline of the 2-3. VERY different responsibilities and a difficult thing for a newbie to learn. Kueth Duany is the ONLY player I can think of who has excelled at both and that was in his fifth year in the program.

Okay, here are a few things I've heard tonight:
  • It appears that there are two minor things holding things up a bit:
  1. AW hasn't gotten 100% assurances of his position and role, which includes if he will start or not if he comes here. He was told what his role would be at MSU, and he rejected it. This fits 100% with what Orangeman13 said about MSU, and why he didn't want to go there.
  2. The Olympics are slowing down communication a bit. Not a major issue, not an oversight on JB's part, just making things a bit more difficult, since JB is occupied for the duration of the Olympics. That accounts for the delay.
  • AW has apparently told the staff that he fully intends to come to SU, his family just wants a bit more clarification from the coaching staff about what his role will be. They're comfortable patiently waiting for JB to become available again because coming here is their top choice. The "radio silence" is from JB being gone, not AW going "dark" and incommunicado.
At this point, I'm pretty comfortable believing the information that Orangeman13 has shared. It all checks out / aligns--with some of the finer details intentionally left out to protect his "source."

While this seems very valid, it would also mean we aren't hearing anything soon I would think.

Does JB have time to even get back to Syracuse before the Olympics? The schedule is very tight.

What is White waiting for ? Unless he is considering another school or not playing college hoops next year , neither of which I am suggesting , I don't understand the reason for the ongoing delay. I doubt he is taking three weeks or whatever debating between us and MSU.

Don't know that he IS waiting. It's not like he has to sign a LOI. He may have already told the coaches he is coming. Coaches can't say anything until he is enrolled or signs financial aid papers with no LOI and the kid is not a creature of social media. Today's day and age is so immediate and transparent that scenarios that don't fit the norm - post on Facebook how I had my eggs this morning - seem to be anomalies. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the best. Strip out all the unnecessary conjecture and what you're left with is a player who perfectly fits with an elite team, some outstanding educational opportunities for a grad student and secondary connections to the program that seem confident he is coming. That Occam guy may have been on to something.

Without AW, Lydon would be playing 38 minutes a game, splitting time between the 3 and 4. With AW, Lydon should play almost exclusively at the 4 which is a better fit for his skill set. It's almost pointless to speculate who will be giving up the most minutes. This will be by committee because we don't have a true '3' on the current roster. Even if JB has a preconceived idea right now, actual game situations will vary.

Don't know that he IS waiting. It's not like he has to sign a LOI. He may have already told the coaches he is coming. Coaches can't say anything until he is enrolled or signs financial aid papers with no LOI and the kid is not a creature of social media. Today's day and age is so immediate and transparent that scenarios that don't fit the norm - post on Facebook how I had my eggs this morning - seem to be anomalies. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the best. Strip out all the unnecessary conjecture and what you're left with is a player who perfectly fits with an elite team, some outstanding educational opportunities for a grad student and secondary connections to the program that seem confident he is coming. That Occam guy may have been on to something.
Occam guy?

I take 24 hours off from this thread and it's gone way down hill... Which is something given where it started.

I really need someplace with a little more civility. A place where people are treated with respect. I'm going back to the OT board.

I take 24 hours off from this thread and it's gone way down hill... Which is something given where it started.

I really need someplace with a little more civility. A place where people are treated with respect. I'm going back to the OT board.

Where women instinctively flock like the salmon of capistrano.

Let me say this. Someone is going to have to be a team player so AW comes here and the word is someone is willing not to start. And my understanding is that Battle starts and Lydon comes off the bench playing significant minutes.

This team understands a chance at a national title is on the line.

There is no way that's possible...Lydon is our best player.

Thats me being sarcastic as I and others have called Lydon off the bench and some people just couldnt grasp it...because JB has NEVER had "token" senior starters.

There is no way that's possible...Lydon is our best player.

Thats me being sarcastic as I and others have called Lydon off the bench and some people just couldnt grasp it...because JB has NEVER had "token" senior starters.

I could see it. I just don't see it being the best option. If White will only come if he's promised a starting role, we don't need that kind of drama, imo. If that's the case, he can go elsewhere; he's not Jesus. However, if the coaches do get him on board, I think Roberson absolutely starts at PF and I would rather have Lydon start at SF than White at SF. Battle has to start at SG with Gillon/Howard at point, so White becomes the dude off the bench. Some people don't see Lydon as a SF, though. In response, I don't see White as a capable defender at SF in our zone.

Lol at this thread. Guys and girls- no reason to get all worked up at each other and cause other people not to post or get mad at one another. Andrew White will either come or he will not. Time will tell. If not, this roster is fine the way it is. If he comes, great. This is all gravy.

The day started out pretty good. I thought page 209 was pretty much on topic. And then it degraded after that. Especially with the every other post talking about how terrible this thread is and that it's off topic and every one is bunch of low quality posts by the "wrong" people. Maybe if we stop all the meta-commentary we can get back to AW3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom