Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 64 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not clear to me at all that JB promised him anything to do with the guards. We don't need a 4th guard as much as we need a scoring/shooter sf.

I think JB's pitch would be much more along the lines of Mal left early for the NBA and his spot/role is his. That's a powerful pitch.
Agreed on the Mali pitch. But he did have something "to do with the guards", i.e. AW will get the same "chance" at the 2 as Mali did.

He was sensational given his size and how he was not recruited for the position. No one thinks that he's the second coming of Etan Thomas, Fab Melo, or even Rak. Sabonis scored very well against him, despite constant double teams. On offense, yeah, he's probably our best center, but unless Chukwu is completely unready, I think Chukwu will likely be the better defensive option.

In fairness, Sabonis was one of the most skilled and physical bigs in the college game last year. You're being pretty tough on Lydon by using that as your sole benchmark.

I think the plan A will be Chukwu blocking shots in the middle against most teams with Coleman spelling him. If we need beef under there then Coleman is prime. But if we need offense, certainly I see a lineup with Lydon at center. Not saying it's the starting lineup or even that common, but down 8 with 3 minutes to go? Heck yes. Lydon is clearly a credible option at the 5 defensively and that allows JB some real flexibility to fit him onto the court for his excellent offense especially if White is here and you need more room for back line scorers.

Magic 8 ball says it's unclear.

8.jpg

In fairness, Sabonis was one of the most skilled and physical bigs in the college game last year. You're being pretty tough on Lydon by using that as your sole benchmark.

I think the plan A will be Chukwu blocking shots in the middle against most teams with Coleman spelling him. If we need beef under there then Coleman is prime. But if we need offense, certainly I see a lineup with Lydon at center. Not saying it's the starting lineup or even that common, but down 8 with 3 minutes to go? Heck yes. Lydon is clearly a credible option at the 5 defensively and that allows JB some real flexibility to fit him onto the court for his excellent offense especially if White is here and you need more room for back line scorers.

Totally agreed, I think Lydon at the 5 is a potent weapon, I just would prefer not to have him their most of the time, since our zone gets SO much better when we have a shot blocking 7+ foot center.

I mean, we have to know soon, right? Class starts in August.

One thing you have to keep in mind, if AW comes here, on Offense imo he will play a guard role, ie he will mostly be on the perimeter on O. But the question is, is he better suited for top or bottom of zone? Imo he is better suited for backside of zone. And i doubt he would have a big problem with that. We shall see
That's what I've been trying to say. Wish we could live stream practice. Midnight madness scrimmage should be interesting.

Lydon a
Totally agreed, I think Lydon at the 5 is a potent weapon, I just would prefer not to have him their most of the time, since our zone gets SO much better when we have a shot blocking 7+ foot center.

Sorry to take away from the AW3 discussion but....

Lydon at the 5 is a matchup nightmare offensively. Big lumbering centers guarding him M2M is almost unfair and the added benefit of pulling an opposing team's best rebounder to guard the three opens up more offensive rebounding opportunities for Roberson, DC and Chukster. Will be interesting to see how Lydon's game develops as a 3 with generally more mobile and athletic defenders guarding him. I wouldn't think we'd see him free on the perimeter as often and when he does hang at the 3 point line he should be able to shoot over many SFs, but I would think he'll get an opportunity to showcase his post up and mid-range game much more effectively. Going to be fun to watch.

McAllisters' actual post on the message board said " I heard that White will take another visit before deciding. White does not know which school and when though."

When another poster suggested he should recheck his source Mike replied, " I heard it from White himself".

That would seem to be a fairly reliable assessment of where things stand.

Wow. Have to admit I agree with none of this. Roberson will get 30 plus/ game this year and Lydon will see NO time whatsoever at the 5 unless there is an emergency. If white comes here and wants minutes, he better learn the top of the zone in a hurry.
Disagree with you

Because with the lack of offensive power from PC or DC and Franklin Howard, Roberson's offense needs to improve by leaps and bounds to be on the floor with Frank and a center

Wow. Have to admit I agree with none of this. Roberson will get 30 plus/ game this year and Lydon will see NO time whatsoever at the 5 unless there is an emergency. If white comes here and wants minutes, he better learn the top of the zone in a hurry.
I disagree with you. If White comes here, he plays a lot. So will Gillon. So will Battle and Lydon.

McAllisters' actual post on the message board said " I heard that White will take another visit before deciding. White does not know which school and when though."

When another poster suggested he should recheck his source Mike replied, " I heard it from White himself".

That would seem to be a fairly reliable assessment of where things stand.

Should we be worried?

Lydon a

Sorry to take away from the AW3 discussion but...

Lydon at the 5 is a matchup nightmare offensively. Big lumbering centers guarding him M2M is almost unfair and the added benefit of pulling an opposing team's best rebounder to guard the three opens up more offensive rebounding opportunities for Roberson, DC and Chukster. Will be interesting to see how Lydon's game develops as a 3 with generally more mobile and athletic defenders guarding him. I wouldn't think we'd see him free on the perimeter as often and when he does hang at the 3 point line he should be able to shoot over many SFs, but I would think he'll get an opportunity to showcase his post up and mid-range game much more effectively. Going to be fun to watch.

If Lydon is at the five, DC and Chukwu are on the bench

Flacusian said:
McAllisters' actual post on the message board said " I heard that White will take another visit before deciding. White does not know which school and when though." When another poster suggested he should recheck his source Mike replied, " I heard it from White himself". That would seem to be a fairly reliable assessment of where things stand.

He doesn't know which school he will visit? Sounds to me like a kid that just didn't want Mcallisters in his business. I'm with our boys Orangemen13 and Gilardino...it's a matter of time folks. Eat Popcorn.

Last edited:
I disagree with you. If White comes here, he plays a lot. So will Gillon. So will Battle and Lydon.
Its a togh call, soo many talented players. But you have to ask yourself: if its based on all around skill (ie ballhandling, passing, shooting, defense, rebounding, shotblocking, etc) is TR really a better all around player than Gillon, Battle, White, Lydon, etc ?? Or is it based on being a role player, not all around ball skills? Will be interesting...

Will JB be comfortable with both Lydon and Roberson at forward? Ie they both seem more like 4s to me. Otoh White seems like an ideal 3 for the zone.

How much were Lydon and TRob out there together last season as FORWARDS? ? My recollection not a tremendous amount- Mal took up a ton of mins at the 3. And i see AW as the prototypical replacement for Mal. But thats just me

re: McAlister on White visting another school

lol that's such a bizarre thing to say - he's going to visit another school, but he doesn't know which school or when he will? This is eerily similar to when TT said he "had to go another visit before I commit", then he went to MSU, even though it sounded like he didn't really want to.

My hope/thought is White feels good about us, but feels like he needs to do his due diligence just in case. The fact that (if McAlister is right) White doesn't even know which school he wants to visit essentially means he has no #2, he's just doing it to do it. I actually feel more confident now if those were White's actual words. I feel like the chances of him randomly pikcing one of UConn/VCU/Miami/etc and being blown away by them is fairly low. Sounds like whichever school he visits will have a lot of ground to make up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom