Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 80 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day2 said:
Re: Gillon

In 2003, we started McNamara and Duany in the backcourt, even though Edelin was the best pure PG on the team.

Edelin was not available at the start of that season, or that may have played out differently. I'm glad it didn't.

Edit: Oops, you beat me to it RF.

MikeG although we didn't play him there. If only we had had a ready experienced PG last year we would have seen this out of him. But yeah before him probably KrisJo. Wes could in open space but not so much in traffic. BillyO was the best at this IMO but Wallace did it a lot as a senior and Melo as a freshman.
I never considered Gbinije a true forward. Maybe I'm the only one but I always thought he was a guard through and through, despite being 6-7. Requisite quickness and foot speed, excellent ball-handling ability and very slight frame screams Boeheim guard to me.

Also because Edelin was suspended for the first 13 games or thereabouts.
Edelin was not available at the start of that season, or that may have played out differently. I'm glad it didn't.

Edit: Oops, you beat me to it RF.
I don't know about that. His issues went back to the previous season as well, so I think he was destined to come off the bench until he proved himself both on and off the court.

Still, he played plenty of PG when it mattered and that's what I expect with Gillon, whether he starts or comes off the bench.

Cipolla didn't fit the prototype for our system as a 2. He lacked footspeed and lateral mobility. He was an OK handler / passer [and in fact, was our backup point guard] but wasn't athletic / quick.

He started at 2 because the alternative was a younger, less experienced guy in Janulis. There wasn't anybody else, and we only played 7.

How is that relevant to this year? Because if White comes here, we don't have to play him at 2 because we'll have better backcourt options, unlike during the 1996 season.
Is it blasphemous to say Cippolla wouldn't earn a scholly at SU today? 20 years ago we could get away with such a slow-footed player (two with Sims) on the top of the zone. Today, teams are too sophisticated, imo.

I don't know about that. His issues went back to the previous season as well, so I think he was destined to come off the bench until he proved himself both on and off the court.

Still, he played plenty of PG when it mattered and that's what I expect with Gillon, whether he starts or comes off the bench.
The previous season was a totally different issue, and if memory serves, he was very likely to start at the point guard, as Gerry was an incoming freshman, no more proven that Edelin. It was probably going to be Edelin and Gerry starting in the backcourt.

I think we are just gonna platoon it this year
PG Gillon
SG Battle
SF White
PF Lydon
C Coleman

PG Howard
SG Moyer
SF Roberson
PF Thompson
C Chukwu

jk but these are fantastic "problems"

I never considered Gbinije a true forward. Maybe I'm the only one but I always thought he was a guard through and through, despite being 6-7. Requisite quickness and foot speed, excellent ball-handling ability and very slight frame screams Boeheim guard to me.

I always thought of him as a hybrid SG/SF that didn't really fit either position perfectly. Slower than most guards but quicker than most small forwards. Worse ball handling than most guards but better than most small forwards. etc.

White seems like a perfect 3 in SU's system. I don't really see him at the 2 much at all. He's not as erect and awkward of a runner/movement-wise as say Southerland though. His clip of beating the buzzer vs Northwestern proves this. I really hope we get him!

This years team is getting a lot of comparison to our national title team...

Very interesting. Now I'm the one hoping you guys are right!
so the coaches no longer expect him to commit?

Is it blasphemous to say Cippolla wouldn't earn a scholly at SU today? 20 years ago we could get away with such a slow-footed player (two with Sims) on the top of the zone. Today, teams are too sophisticated, imo.
Wasn't he on the 96' team with Wallace that went to the title game? I remember him as a 6'6 wing who played the 2/3. If I remember the game correctly (?), he played pretty well against Kentucky but during the season was not especially quick or accurate that year as a 3pt threat (31%). I think he transferred after his soph. year too.

Wasn't he on the 96' team with Wallace that went to the title game? I remember him as a 6'6 wing who played the 2/3. If I remember the game correctly (?), he played pretty well against Kentucky but during the season was not especially quick or accurate that year as a 3pt threat (31%). I think he transferred after his soph. year too.

He was a JC transfer. He played in 96 and 97.

He was the one who made the shot from the baseline off of the long inbounds pass from Wallace to send the Sweet Sixteen game against Georgia into overtime.

The previous season was a totally different issue, and if memory serves, he was very likely to start at the point guard, as Gerry was an incoming freshman, no more proven that Edelin. It was probably going to be Edelin and Gerry starting in the backcourt.
Over the senior Duany?

He was a JC transfer. He played in 96 and 97.
Good memory ... I looked up his 3pt avg in the 95-96 season but blew out on his transfer history. ;)

He was the one who made the shot from the baseline off of the long inbounds pass from Wallace to send the Sweet Sixteen game against Georgia into overtime.
... which John finished off himself with a 3 at the buzzer. One of the best tourney games ever. On a side note, Jason's biggest claim to fame was (is?) being married to Lorraine Bracco (Tony Soprano's therapist).

He also dates Lorraine Bracco...aka Dr. Melfie from the Sopranos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom