Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 78 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 of the 5 who play the most are Gillon, Battle, White, Lydon. The fifth will change depending on how the other guys are paying and the matchups needed on the court IMO.
Thats how i see it with Roberson or Pascal getting 5th most mins. But who knows , Howard could blow up this yr

Lydon brings scoring punch off the bench, which is always good to have... The other 3 haven't really proven to be able to do this yet... Also, Lydon has never started @ SU, so not starting this year will not look like a demotion...eg- TR, DC2...

So since Lydon is better than these other guys, specifically at scoring he will not start? Scoring off the bench is great but not when it means your starting lineup is handcuffed on offense. Not starting Lydon means Roberson and Coleman start because I don't think you can start Chukwu/Roberson due to offensive issues. Lydon is a better center than Coleman and a better power forward than Roberson. You sacrifice two positions by sitting Lydon who can actually play three positions for us. Again I am trying to understand but my brain fails to compute any scenario where Lydon does not start. I could be wrong I am just unable to envision it at all when I look at the other guys skill sets.

So since Lydon is better than these other guys, specifically at scoring he will not start? Scoring off the bench is great but not when it means your starting lineup is handcuffed on offense. Not starting Lydon means Roberson and Coleman start because I don't think you can start Chukwu/Roberson due to offensive issues. Lydon is a better center than Coleman and a better power forward than Roberson. You sacrifice two positions by sitting Lydon who can actually play three positions for us. Again I am trying to understand but my brain fails to compute any scenario where Lydon does not start. I could be wrong I am just unable to envision it at all when I look at the other guys skill sets.
I totally agree with you... But, how many times has JB benched a career starter in his senior year? I'm guessing never...

Why does Roberson have to start? He probably would have lost his starting spot at some point last year had Bryant or Diagne come here. And he never would have been the starter had McCullough stayed.

Senior or not, he's an elite rebounder who does very little else and JB has a love/hate relationship with him. If Chukwu and Lydon can hit the glass (big "if"), there's no reason to put Roberson in the game other than as a sub. Now don't get me wrong, I think he's great for what he does and it's exciting when he's on. But JB played him last year because he didn't have a choice. That's not the case this year. Plenty of other options.

I think it comes down to Gillon and Roberson for the last starting spot. One of them will have to be content with a Vinnie Johnson or Dennis Rodman role.

Last edited:
The Andrew White thread has now reached half the length of the semi-epic Taurean Thompson thread. It took the TT thread 9 months and 8 days to reach post #1945. It took the Andrew White thread about 2 and 1/2 weeksPopcorn. The Andrew White thread is making moves, coming hard for the TT thread's somewhat legendary status on the board... llleeehhhhggooo

Last edited:
So you are going to start two players that Lydon is far superior to on offense and if not better than them on defense he is at least their equal? My brain cannot process this.

Lydon, Chukwu, Coleman, Roberson

Only 2 of these start and one is not Lydon!!! Look at those 4 names again!

Totally see your point as far as skill set. I don't really want to start Lydon out of position at center though so in place of Roberson makes the most sense to me. I just wonder how Roberson handles that mentally after he did so well in the NCAA. Will he consider it a demotion and we lose him mentally or will he go into a "I'll show JB for not starting me" mode or "I'll do whatever I can to help the team" mode and be productive in that role? Of course, he still came back and had the strong NCAA after what JB said in the press conference. So maybe he's strong enough mentally that starting won't matter to him and he can handle whatever happens.

All flights of fancy aside, JB tends to start 4 year seniors...
Pg- Gillon
Sg- Battle
Sf- White
Pf- Roberson
C- DC2
Lydon/Pikachu @ the 17-18 min mark...
Howard @ the first tv to...

Winner winner...chicken dinner. But we really cannot lose either way. Dudes are gonna play and we will play 8 deep with meaningful minutes.

So you are going to start two players that Lydon is far superior to on offense and if not better than them on defense he is at least their equal? My brain cannot process this.

Lydon, Chukwu, Coleman, Roberson

Only 2 of these start and one is not Lydon!!! Look at those 4 names again!

I think you are getting to wrapped up in who starts a game, and who plays more minutes. Its classic JB...how is it so difficult to get? Not singling you out really...this is just the one I replied to.

There shouldnt be any discussion on whether Lydon starts. Because he will start.

Nothing else makes sense.

Totally see your point as far as skill set. I don't really want to start Lydon out of position at center though so in place of Roberson makes the most sense to me. I just wonder how Roberson handles that mentally after he did so well in the NCAA. Will he consider it a demotion and we lose him mentally or will he go into a "I'll show JB for not starting me" mode or "I'll do whatever I can to help the team" mode and be productive in that role? Of course, he still came back and had the strong NCAA after what JB said in the press conference. So maybe he's strong enough mentally that starting won't matter to him and he can handle whatever happens.

I agree that Lydon should start at the 4 not the 5. If Roberson cannot handle coming off the bench mentally then I don't know what to say. He's a big boy and its big time P5 hoops. Play your best whenever you play and that was Roberson's issue for most of the season as he seemed to either play great or disappear.

I think you are getting to wrapped up in who starts a game, and who plays more minutes. Its classic JB...how is it so difficult to get? Not singling you out really...this is just the one I replied to.

Not really I am having a hard time picturing not starting one of our best players, particularly when I look at who would be starting in his place. I get that sometimes a bench player is better than a starter and due to roles/team makeup it works well. But Lydon is our best offensive frontcourt player, he is likely our best and most versatile defensive frontcourt player as well as being a good rebounder. If Chukwu was not eligible to play this season he would also be our best shot blocker.

Why does Roberson have to start? He probably would have lost his starting spot at some point last year had Bryant or Diagne come here. And he never would have been the starter had McCullough stayed.

Senior or not, he's an elite rebounder who does very little else and JB has a love/hate relationship with him. If Chukwu and Lydon can hit the glass (big "if"), there's no reason to put Roberson in the game other than as a sub. Now don't get me wrong, I think he's great for what he does and it's exciting when he's on. But JB played him last year because he didn't have a choice. That's not the case this year. Plenty of other options.

I think it comes down to Gillon and Roberson for the last starting spot. One of them will have to be content with a Vinnie Johnson or Dennis Rodman role.

I as well cannot understand why many are automatically penciling Roberson in as a starter. He's going to play and play a lot anyways.

I as well cannot understand why many are automatically penciling Roberson in as a starter. He's going to play and play a lot anyways.

You've convinced me. Lydon in for Roberson. I'm very easily influenced :) I'm going with Gillon, Battle, White, Lydon and Coleman as the starters.

Here is the thing about Roberson; he is an elite rebounder when he is engaged and his motor is revving. Unfortunately, that isn't alway the case. This is also why JB has a problem with him because motor is about effort, engagement/concentration and is completely within his control. If he brought the supreme level of effort to every minute he was on the floor, he would be on the floor 32+ minutes per game every game. If he doesn't bring that level of effort he is at best an average piece of the puzzle (with other pieces that may fit better also on the roster) and at worst a negative because of the other thing he doesn't do.

My guess is that Roberson is going to have a pretty thin line to walk this season. Last year he was able to play through periods of disengagement because we didn't have good alternatives......that isn't the case this year.

Folks here went bench, in some way shape or form, the 2 starters and best player from a final four team.
Brilliant.
DC - has earned it, and will be far better than last year.
Roby- best rebounder in the league, and JB wants to run.
Lydon - best player. Will get all-
ACC consideration.

Some of you honestly think these guys won't start. Mind boggling.

Can Battle run the point?

If so, I'd love to see a big lineup from time to time:

PG - Battle
SG - White
SF - Lydon
PF - Roberson
C - Chukwu

That would be one hell of a big lineup!

Folks here went bench, in some way shape or form, the 2 starters and best player from a final four team.
Brilliant.
DC - has earned it, and will be far better than last year.
Roby- best rebounder in the league, and JB wants to run.
Lydon - best player. Will get all-
ACC consideration.

Some of you honestly think these guys won't start. Mind boggling.
OK, who starts in the backcourt then?

PLATOON

grenade.png

A lineup with Battle / White in the backcourt and Lydon / Roberson at forward, with either Coleman / Chukwu in the pivot, would potentially be the worst ball handling and passing team we've ever fielded. Not saying that for exaggerated effect, either.

Is White's ballhandling really THAT bad? Battle handles the ball very well (better than anybody on last year's team), so I assume he's not factoring in. And I think Lydon is at least as serviceable a ballhandler as we typically have at SF.

All flights of fancy aside, JB tends to start 4 year seniors...
Pg- Gillon
Sg- Battle
Sf- White
Pf- Roberson
C- DC2
Lydon/Pikachu @ the 17-18 min mark...
Howard @ the first tv to...

No chance Frank sees minutes that early. JB isn't bringing in 3 subs in the first 4-5 minutes of the game.

Lydon will play all the minutes he can handle. If Battle is ready, he will see 25-30, at least. Gillon should see at least that, and probably more as the main PG. White would also see minutes in that range. The remaining minutes will go to Robey, Chukwu and maybe Frank. I don't think DC plays much, which is unfortunate for him.

How many times has Boeheim taken a 2 year starter and sat him on the bench for his senior year?

Is White's ballhandling really THAT bad? Battle handles the ball very well (better than anybody on last year's team), so I assume he's not factoring in. And I think Lydon is at least as serviceable a ballhandler as we typically have at SF.
I haven't watched any film, so I can't speak for White's ball handling per se, but I remember seeing a stat on his assists and they are extremely low. He's a good rebounder, however.

From clips, he doesn't put the ball on the floor much. He lacks a dribble drive game, and seems to be a spot up catch and shoot guy. He averaged 0.6 assists last year.

There's more than just dribbling to being a guard. I agree that Battle is a good ball handler. He's more of a combo than a lead guard, though. So couple that with White, and we've got a fairly limited backcourt in terms of playmaking.

Keep in mind that Paul Harris handled the ball very well, too--didn't make him a point guard. There's more to it than just dribbling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom