Slick Rick | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Slick Rick

You don’t think recruits were getting women hooked up with them on every recruiting trip on any campus every visit?
It's kind of sweet how naive people are about college sports, isn't it? RP was hired to coach men, not teach them about family values. Many of us have had professional mentors that have made huge mistakes in their personal lives, and it has no impact whatsoever on what we are actually there to learn/do.

That’s a tale as old as recruiting. They used to be called “hostesses.”
Christian Bale Oooo GIF

I guess there’s some “Syracuse“ fans pretty salty St. John’s didn’t get in. What a world to live in.

I’m glad Rick got screwed or at least didn’t get into the tournament after he threw his own players under the bus and pretended doing so was genius. What a fraud.

A restaurant quickly hardly makes her a mistress and “Paid her off” is a bit sexist. Her body her choice. She would have received much more in child support.
Was likely a planned (by her) pregnancy for a shake down. No one actually knows if it was his child.
And she’s a felon. https://amp.kentucky.com/news/local/crime/article130976449.html
So Rick sleeps with felons, got it!

Glad he got left out just wish UVA could have joined.

Was looking through the betting lines holy mountain west does that conference have a lot of teams. It’s been so bad in the dance too but I guess San Diego state last year made all their blowout losses forgotten.

Was Cragg a leader or a follower in pursuing Pitino?

Follower. The university president Rev. Brian J. Shanley led the effort to land Rick Pitino.

Sounds like St Johns wants him out since he’s not Slick’s guy (and he’s a fall guy for a likely arbitration payout to Mike Anderson). He wants out because he’s not Rick’s guy and sees the handwriting on the wall for the overall direction of the athletic department (mostly Rick gets whatever the heck he wants, period). None of my St Johns contacts were surprised.

Something to keep in mind with St Johns - their dropoff as a program matches with when the university built dorms (first one completed in 1999). Prior to that, they were effectively able to pay basketball players through housing stipends - once that ended they couldn't recruit local talent as easily. Its part of why Jarvis made an elite eight his first year, then steadily dropped off from that point until he was let go during a 6 win season in 2003-04. NIL gives St John's a chance to get back in the game - expect Rick to take NIL as far as he possibly can (and likely beyond that) in an effort to recruit better talent.

Pitino is 71 and already in the basketball hall of fame, its not like if he gets caught pushing NIL too far there's really any personal consequence. He just leaves a mess at St John's for someone else to clean up. Any AD who takes that job just has to hope Pitino doesn't do anything where he or she ends up being the fall guy. Based on Pitino's track record, I wouldn't have a lot of hope for that. Also, the rumor is Slick Rick wants his son to take over for him at St John's when he'd done - so even if the new AD survives Slick's tenure, he's also going to have to survive that political battle down the road.

If I was Cragg, I'd be happily beating feet out of New York with whatever buyout I got. And I would advise anyone looking at that job to choose wisely, it has a high probability of being a career limiting decision to take the AD job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom