so this uconn team | Syracusefan.com

so this uconn team

JAB, “Without Frank, we aren’t a very good team.”

So SU fans might want to brace themselves for some unpleasant surprises until we get a more balanced offense with Frank at near 100%. I’m not saying we’ll lose, but there’s a higher possibility than I and others thought there was going to be after the first game and the exhibition games.

JAB, “Without Frank, we aren’t a very good team.”

So SU fans might want to brace themselves for some unpleasant surprises until we get a more balanced offense with Frank at near 100%. I’m not saying we’ll lose, but there’s a higher possibility than I and others thought there was going to be after the first game and the exhibition games.

The fluke timing of having all three point guards on the roster have injuries / impairment has been a massive detriment. It set back Carey's early development, and it has led to an offense that is susceptible to aggressive defensive pressure.

Carey needs to play better than he did against Morehead State's ball hawking lead guard [Hicks?]. Hopefully it was a learning experience for him. Ideally, Frank gets back this week, can contribute some, and doesn't take long to shake off the ring rust.

Is there a chance Frank returns for this game or is him not playing this week a given?

UConn has 2 terrific guards (Gilbert/Adams) and depth in the backcourt. Hurley will most likely amp up the pressure and try to bother our guards as much as possible. We really need Howard back for this one. I wouldn't be surprised if they press us all game, especially if the backcourt minutes are taken up by Battle/Buddy. UConn will want to speed us up as much as possible; if this is a half court game we should have no problem. Carey having a few days of practice should help. UConn's guards are smaller so if Tyus can use his size he should have an edge.

The frontcourt is where we can do damage. UConn doesn't have much size/skill at the C or F positions; Carlton is decent and Polley is average but other than those 2 there's nothing. Brisset should have a field day as well as Hughes. We should be able to do a lot of damage on the glass and bully them down low.

UConn's defense hasn't been great so far due to their lack of size.

Adams is a great player and can take over a game but as long as we don't let him in the lane we should be ok. I'd think I'd dare UConn to shoot 3s because I think they prefer when their guards penetrate. But again, other than an occasional game from Carlton, they don't get any offense from their forwards.

We have more a talented roster. We're bigger. We're more athletic. We're stronger. I think if you rank the players in this game, we probably have 4 of the top 6 or 7 guys. I'd go Battle, Adams, Brissett, Hughes, Frank, Gilbert.

However, the whole PG thing does have me worried. If this game was in another month I'd feel better but if we're able to dominate on the boards like we should and hit some 3's, we should be fine. This UConn roster right now would be at the bottom 3rd of the ACC
so we should be able to handle.

I will say - UConn is excited about Hurley. This is the most buzz that program has had in years and I think they will absolutely pumped to play us in MSG. Other than Villanova, I believe we are the highest ranked team they'll play all year. For us, we will get plenty of chances at marquee wins. I'm sure they feel like they owe us one from last year.

I think it will be closer than people think but I see us winning a 77-68 type of game.

It will be a close game. I would be shocked if it isn't. Remember the last two years? In fact, Frank was terrible in those games.

We will be favored by 10. They have zero size. Our front line should dominate.

Polley is 6’8. He looked pretty good against Morehead. Josh Carlton is 6’10-6’11. He looks on the heavier side this season. Not studs or anything but they have some size. Carlton will def be able to push guys around.. I don’t think Carlton played in the game last year. Polley is pretty good. Their backcourt and Gilbert could be a problem. Gilbert is going to be just like Hicks on Morehead.

Not really.

But they'll be jazzed to play us in NYC, so we'll need to play better than we did last game.

Syracuse doesn't look too good either. They struggle at point and can't shoot from the outside. Going to be closer than it should be.

Polley is 6’8. He looked pretty good against Morehead. Josh Carlton is 6’10-6’11. He looks on the heavier side this season. Not studs or anything but they have some size. Carlton will def be able to push guys around.. I don’t think Carlton played in the game last year. Polley is pretty good. Their backcourt and Gilbert could be a problem. Gilbert is going to be just like Hicks on Morehead.
Polley is ok but if UConn has to rely on him to score or make plays, that's a big plus for us. I don't think he'll he able to stay infront of Brisset defensively so we might be able to get him in foul trouble. Morehead didn't have any size. Polley will struggle with guys his size who are more athletic than him. Carlton does have some skill but he's kind of soft and I think once he gets blocked by PC once or twice he may shy away. Believe me, if UConn tries to beat us relying on Carlton to score in the post, they'll have no chance. Carlton clearly has ability but he's not someone to worry about yet.

Their bread and butter is their guards. If we can bother Adams/Gilbert they will have difficulty scoring. UConn hasn't seen a defense like this; especially if Frank plays

I think it is a blessing we played Morehead State, Carey got a taste of aggressive man to man defense and the whole team got a chance to experience some pressure and hand checking.

If UConn has a chance to win, I think they have to play really aggressively on defense and get points off turnovers. From watching parts of their first 2 games, it looks they ares playing a little better defense than in recent years, but I don't see the toughness. the bumping and physical play that characterized UConn basketball when Calhoun was still coaching them.

Polley is ok but if UConn has to rely on him to score or make plays, that's a big plus for us. I don't think he'll he able to stay infront of Brisset defensively so we might be able to get him in foul trouble. Morehead didn't have any size. Polley will struggle with guys his size who are more athletic than him. Carlton does have some skill but he's kind of soft and I think once he gets blocked by PC once or twice he may shy away. Believe me, if UConn tries to beat us relying on Carlton to score in the post, they'll have no chance. Carlton clearly has ability but he's not someone to worry about yet.

Their bread and butter is their guards. If we can bother Adams/Gilbert they will have difficulty scoring. UConn hasn't seen a defense like this; especially if Frank plays

Agreed I’m just saying they aren’t bums. Polley made two threes against UMKC. You forgot about Vital. He’s a pretty good guard too. Tarin Smith led them in scoring yesterday. Another guard.

Playing pressure defense with no rim protection means Tyus and Hughes get to the basket at will.

We’ll see about Tyus. He sometimes is able to do this. Not all the time. Sometimes it is an adventure. Brissett is the guy.

Tyus will need to watch those push offs and make the pass if there is a help defender waiting for him. Can’t be barreling into the help at this stage of his career.

Last edited:
Very good chance that Hurley has UConn full court press from the opening minute. UConn has guard depth and can afford 1 or 2 guards getting into foul trouble, so they'll press and try to annoy Battle/Carey/Buddy/Hughes/Brissett bringing the ball up the court for as long as they can.

Playing pressure defense with no rim protection means Tyus and Hughes get to the basket at will.
Carlton is a decent shot blocker.

If UConn is able to harass the SU guards on offense enough to prevent them from running the half court offense, the big size and skill advantages Syracuse has at all positions can be largely negated. Syracuse is going to try and drive on the Huskies with their slashers and get them in foul trouble.

I think if this is a half court game, Syracuse wins easily. If it gets wide open and fast paced, UConn could win. Definitely concerned about our ability to run the half court offense with Battle or Carey at PG. Could Frank be ready to play on Thursday? How will the recovering PGs feel on Friday, playing on consecutive days?

It will be interesting to see what happens with full court pressure SU has tried every game so far on Thursday. After what happened against Morehead State, I suspect we won't see it at all.

Agreed I’m just saying they aren’t bums. Polley made two threes against UMKC. You forgot about Vital. He’s a pretty good guard too. Tarin Smith led them in scoring yesterday. Another guard.

That Smith guy seems like the kind of player that comes off the bench and hits like 5 3's against us. This Uconn team is definitely better then last year and better to start the season then I thought. Gilbert, Adams, and Smith give them 3 legit scoring options.

If this is a close one like others are predicting, it could come down to coaching.

I'll take JB's experience.

If UConn is able to harass the SU guards on offense enough to prevent them from running the half court offense, the big size and skill advantages Syracuse has at all positions can be largely negated. Syracuse is going to try and drive on the Huskies with their slashers and get them in foul trouble.

I think if this is a half court game, Syracuse wins easily. If it gets wide open and fast paced, UConn could win. Definitely concerned about our ability to run the half court offense with Battle or Carey at PG. Could Frank be ready to play on Thursday? How will the recovering PGs feel on Friday, playing on consecutive days?

It will be interesting to see what happens with full court pressure SU has tried every game so far on Thursday. After what happened against Morehead State, I suspect we won't see it at all.

dont want to press this UConn team. That would be doing them a huge favor and play to their strength. (pushing guards)

A half court game we win by 15. Especially if Dan Hurley attacks the zone like Bobby Hurley did last year.

Oshae and Chukwu should dominate the glass in this one against UConns lack of size.

Carlton is an ok shot locker, but he’s not your typical UConn rim protector.

Also we are going to make 3 pointers eventually.

dont want to press this UConn team. That would be doing them a huge favor and play to their strength. (pushing guards)

we;ve applied 2 different versions. The agressive version with a man on the in bounder that brought us back against UVA.

But we've also done (im including exhibitions here) basically a 2/2/1 with little pressure but just to take some time off the shot clock.

My guess is we go with the 2/2/1 vs Uconn.

As long as they finish. Can't afford to have a bunch a missed bunnies inside like OB did on Saturday night.

That’s the wild card. How good will they be attacking the zone. Morehead was excellent at times. We’ll try the press and see what happens. Gilbert is the reincarnation of Flynn. Same size/speed/style. Obviously not the same player but I bet people will see the similarites. He may be able to shred the press (Buddy did us no favors here) himself like Hicks or even Walker did. Collectively Morehead’s guards are faster than UConn. Walker and Hicks are as quick and bouncy as they get in college ball. Then again UConn’s guards didn’t struggle as much as ours did. They weren’t getting stripped and made to look like Kaleb. Morehead disrupted things a bit for them generally. Chukwu has to start dunking these balls. Hughes should have an advantage as well. He’ll probably have a guard on him.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom