So we missed a couple recruits | Syracusefan.com

So we missed a couple recruits

That last sentence should never be uttered about Syracuse Basketball. Yet here we are...again.

I actually think this team could be pretty good but this whole "scramble mode" recruiting after missing out on top targets is getting old.

Brissett's criminally underrated. Don't expect him to average double figures but people need to stop looking at star and top 100 rankings and watch game tape.

We have a solid team going into this year, and the future looks bright despite some recruitment misses. I love the class we have coming in and domino's will fall for '18, the years still young.

People who are doom n gloomin with limited to no evidence are as good as bandwagon fans to me. I certainly see why many die hards are skeptical and justifiably worried, but I also see a lot of good that a lot of people are allowing to be overshadowed.

We aren't Kansas, Duke, UK, UNC, UA, UCLA or whatever blue blood. WE NEVER HAVE BEEN. Missing out on recruits early in the process isn't the end of the world.

That last sentence should never be uttered about Syracuse Basketball. Yet here we are...again.

I actually think this team could be pretty good but this whole "scramble mode" recruiting after missing out on top targets is getting old.

We used to argue about being a top 10 team or not. Now we argue about if we're going to make the tournament. Oy

We still have a collection of pretty good talent for next year. Ill remain optimistic and I think we will be pretty good next year. Definitely a tournament team if the chemistry is right.
Ahh, more than a couple... We've been batting well below the Mendoza line lately; in jeopardy of being sent down to Triple-A...

Brissett's criminally underrated. Don't expect him to average double figures but people need to stop looking at star and top 100 rankings and watch game tape.

We have a solid team going into this year, and the future looks bright despite some recruitment misses. I love the class we have coming in and domino's will fall for '18, the years still young.

People who are doom n gloomin with limited to no evidence are as good as bandwagon fans to me. I certainly see why many die hards are skeptical and justifiably worried, but I also see a lot of good that a lot of people are allowing to be overshadowed.

We aren't Kansas, Duke, UK, UNC, UA, UCLA or whatever blue blood. WE NEVER HAVE BEEN. Missing out on recruits early in the process isn't the end of the world.
We have NO proven PG.
College BBall is about guards.

The gap was pretty small but now its growing. We used to easily out recruit Nova.
Just move on, nothing to see here?

We've never been Arizona? Please.

If we're saying we can't compete with Zona now we seriously need to make a change.

If we're saying we can't compete with Zona now we seriously need to make a change.

Do you have faith in Boeheim and this staff going against Sean Miller/Book R? I mean historical relevance is one thing and they aren't that far behind us in that department, but, a few more bubble seasons and this is nothing compared to how bad the meltdown will be. The recent F4s have done nothing in terms of our recruiting and play on the court. What recruit right now (east or west coast) is going to pick Syracuse over Arizona? It's a painful dose of reality many fans here (not you) fail to accept.

Talking purely recruitment. We've outperformed ucla and u of a on the court for the majority of the 21st century.

Before yes, but right now I don't think we can compete with them. At this point as long as Breys at Notre Dame they could pass us real soon. Sky falling? I don't know, but it doesn't look good.

Before yes, but right now I don't think we can compete with them. At this point as long as Breys at Notre Dame they could pass us real soon. Sky falling? I don't know, but it doesn't look good.
As long as Brey stays at ND? Really? He has been there a long time. And he hasn't been all that successful. I called their flame out last year. Sorry, things aren't as bad as you think they are. In the last 16 years, Brey has no first place finishes and no final fours. I shudder to think what you would be saying about him if he coached your team.

As long as Brey stays at ND? Really? he has been there a long time. And he hasn't been all that successful. I called their flame out last year. Sorry, things aren't as bad as you think they are.

They seem to be trending in a better direction than we are, I think the records show that. They're also getting some really good recruits while we're banking on a lot of unknowns. I don't think it's that hard to see.

They seem to be trending in a better direction than we are, I think the records show that. They're also getting some really good recruits while we're banking on a lot of unknowns. I don't think it's that hard to see.
16 years and zero first place finishes. No final fours. Just a few years ago, they had a losing record.

I just think it's funny that if we got Quade, Randolph, and Swider all would be well. The recruits we did get are just chopped liver, and unknowns though.

No respect, I tell ya.

Im more optimistic than most. Im not sure how we will be this comin year but we need a bounce back year. However, its very hard to say at this point.

We had a lot of adversity with sanctions and now hop leaving. We need to let this ride out a bit more.

Too early to say one way or another how kuch decline or trouble the program is in. Were definitely in a valley, which happens, but are we headed for an ascent or further decline. That remains to be seen.

As long as Brey stays at ND? Really? He has been there a long time. And he hasn't been all that successful. I called their flame out last year. Sorry, things aren't as bad as you think they are. In the last 16 years, Brey has no first place finishes and no final fours. I shudder to think what you would be saying about him if he coached your team.

What flame out? They were a 5 seed, and they lost to a 4 seed.

What flame out? They were a 5 seed, and they lost to a 4 seed.

Regardless, Brey has made two Elite 8s, and one Sweet 16.

They barely beat Princeton then got smoked by WVU as a similar seed.

People freak out here, but JB has juuuuust a little bit more success than Brey.

It's sad to think that probably some here would take him over JB.

The issue is that they can miss out on some top guys as long as the core 4-year players develop well. Unfortunately Roberson, Johnson, Patterson, K. Joseph, Obokoh all didn't work out for various reasons.

Plus Grant, Ennis, Mali leaving earlier than expected. It was a combo of events that has lead to the current status. If they can back to developing the good program guys (Fair, Triche, Rak, Scoop, Southerland) they will be fine again.

I don't think many people here would take Brey for JB straight up in a vacuum, but when compared to JB now, with his insistence on playing only zone and nobody knowing how long he's here for...might take Brey in that scenario.

I don't think many people here would take Brey for JB straight up in a vacuum, but when compared to JB now, with his insistence on playing only zone and nobody knowing how long he's here for...might take Brey in that scenario.
We have been playing zone for 21 years. Anyone that takes Brey in any situation isn't paying close enough attention. That doesn't mean we don't have serious issues right now.

We have been playing zone for 21 years. Anyone that takes Brey in any situation isn't paying close enough attention. That doesn't mean we don't have serious issues right now.
I just want some stability as that is key in recruiting and we didn't always play zone 24/7... That 24/7 zone (no matter what) is also hurting recruiting.

I'm actually not as doom and gloom as I was a few months back. If we keep striking out on guys for '18 then I'll be back on the ledge, but I think we may have a good team on our hands this year.

If we bounce back this year, and coming off sanctions land a couple of our top choice guys...that cures a lot of ills.

I think Brey could do much better at Cuse and compared to what JB is doing right now... I think it's a fair discussion.

Do I want Breys career over JB's, hell no. Do I want Brey to take over after JB, nope. Is it a legitimate hypothetical discussion as to what's going on right now, sure.

Last edited:

I don't think people can argue that Jb has had a lot more success than Bray, but Nd didn't flame out last year, a 5 seed losing to a 4 is nothing to be ashamed of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom