So we missed a couple recruits | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So we missed a couple recruits

I don't think people can argue that Jb has had a lot more success than Bray, but Nd didn't flame out last year, a 5 seed losing to a 4 is nothing to be ashamed of.
They lost in the round of 32. Some people were predicting a run by them. The round of 32 isn't a run. Pretty sure when we lose in the round of 32, it is considered a flame out no matter where we are seeded. And I think you meant to say that no one can argue that JB hasn't been more success than Brey.

They lost in the round of 32. Some people were predicting a run by them. The round of 32 isn't a run. Pretty sure when we lose in the round of 32, it is considered a flame out no matter where we are seeded. And I think you meant to say that no one can argue that JB hasn't been more success than Brey.

I think I had them in the Elite 8, people picked them because they had been to 2 straight elite 8's. The Nd/Wvu game was basically a pickem.

I think I had them in the Elite 8, people picked them because they had been to 2 straight elite 8's. The Nd/Wvu game was basically a pickem.
yeah, they lost. And they lost in the round of 32. Around here, that is a disappointment.

It could not do anything but help us if we could show recruits that we offer the best facilities, that we have the best fan following which means that we have all the money we need and we reinvest the money in the program because we want to win and expect to win. Recruiting comes down to, what can you do for me? It is a dirty business. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Our program is at risk. Doing nothing is not going to help. There are no guarantees but we need to take some risks. Risk taking has paid off in the past for us.

Understandably, there are competing uses for sports revenue. I prefer the long-term perspective. If the program crashes, there will be no more golden goose. When JB leaves our future will be even more precarious. The best way to help fund other needs is to protect the golden goose.

It could not do anything but help us if we could show recruits that we offer the best facilities, that we have the best fan following which means that we have all the money we need and we reinvest the money in the program because we want to win and expect to win. Recruiting comes down to, what can you do for me? It is a dirty business. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Our program is at risk. Doing nothing is not going to help. There are no guarantees but we need to take some risks. Risk taking has paid off in the past for us.

Understandably, there are competing uses for sports revenue. I prefer the long-term perspective. If the program crashes, there will be no more golden goose. When JB leaves our future will be even more precarious. The best way to help fund other programs is to protect the golden goose.
What are you talking about? What risks do you what the program to take?

What are you talking about? What risks do you what the program to take?
I think people just want to see us pouring cash into basketball and football.

The fact anyone worries about us upgrading facilities and paying Dino Babers in a CFB driven world is pure craziness yet the University hasn't proven yet that we shouldn't worry about that.

The fact Syracuse Basketball gives us tremendous notoriety and got us into the ACC yet it's universally accepted that we won't pony up the cash to pry away a proven top flight coach after JB is also reason for worry. The Melo Center and huge crowds isn't enough. There are ways to get creative with $$$ to do things recruits will be drawn to.

Bottom line is that we are milking the golden goose but it could run dry if we do not adequately nurture it.

The fact anyone worries about us upgrading facilities and paying Dino Babers in a CFB driven world is pure craziness yet the University hasn't proven yet that we shouldn't worry about that.

The fact Syracuse Basketball gives us tremendous notoriety and got us into the ACC yet it's universally accepted that we won't pony up the cash to pry away a proven top flight coach after JB is also reason for worry. The Melo Center and huge crowds isn't enough. There are ways to get creative with $$$ to do things recruits will be drawn to.

There are lots of wild leaps all over here. We have poured facilities moneys in both programs. This fall I bet you'll see more.

John Wildhack didn't leave ESPN to tank our sports programs.

The issues we have in hoop are a lot simpler.

There are lots of wild leaps all over here. We have poured facilities moneys in both programs. This fall I bet you'll see more.

John Wildhack didn't leave ESPN to tank our sports programs.

The issues we have in hoop are a lot simpler.
I hope so and I'm glad to hear you say that.

You can get a little jaded living in SEC country, in close proximity to Clemson and Tobacco Road.

I know we'll never be able to throw around Football money like a UGA or Clemson but one would hope we'll be able to stay on par with our peer teams in the Northeast and the tier below FSU/Miami/Clemson in the ACC.

Basketball worries me when it seems a done deal that we won't pay to bring in a big time coach after JB. If we're willing to bring in an up and comer while seriously improving facilities, I can live with that.

Wildhack doesn't get to decide.

We all know that if you can play defense you can play defense. But I have to say, after watching a lot of the draft when Lydon came into the discussion, the constant narrative was about NBA teams not knowing if he can play Defense because of playing exclusively zone. I truly believe this is starting to be the biggest tool to use against us in recruiting now, regardless if it is accurate. You combine that with the sanctions everything surrounding how long our coach will be around, it's really not hard to see us having a bit of a down cycle in recruiting. With all that, as usual winning cures all!

The Chancellor and board acts on his recommendations. He didn't come here blind.
'acts' can go both ways, up or down. Every program wants revenue and can make a good argument. Taking the long-term view means that there should be a temporary reallocation towards athletic reinvestment but I don't see it coming.

yeah, they lost. And they lost in the round of 32. Around here, that is a disappointment.

Its disappointment, its not a flame out, and expectations are much different in South Bend, they were coming off two straight elite 8's. This was a program that went like 12 years without seeing the 2nd weekend of the tournament.

'acts' can go both ways, up or down. Every program wants revenue and can make a good argument. Taking the long-term view means that there should be a temporary reallocation towards athletic reinvestment but I don't see it coming.

You don't see it coming based on what insight or knowledge? Or just being negative.

Even at a glance from we can see mistakes being corrected in regards to scheduling, training, starting to give Dino what he wants. Wildhack's public comments even on the Nike thing show a vision and more profitable than what's been going on there in the past.

He thinks we need to spend 10 mil on a Players Only Frat House/Dorm.
College basketball is anything but collegial. Recruiting is distasteful. Other programs are offering upgraded living facilities. We should do likewise. Boosters have helped finance some of those projects. We should use revenue from multiple sources.

Some people bought final four tickets and plane tickets for our team last year and we were lucky to have a winning record. I'll take NDs flame out over our season last year.

You're 100% right, nobody can make an argument over the careers of the two coaches which is why in saying the trend. Notre Dame stock would be going up and SU stock would be going down and I'm not sure that even is a debate.

Some people bought final four tickets and plane tickets for our team last year and we were lucky to have a winning record. I'll take NDs flame out over our season last year.

You're 100% right, nobody can make an argument over the careers of the two coaches which is why in saying the trend. Notre Dame stock would be going up and SU stock would be going down and I'm not sure that even is a debate.
Within the past 4 years , ND had a LOSING season. They had a couple of very good years and you are giving them all kinds of credit for it being a trend. Stick to your day job and don't try to become a portfolio manager. We have been on sanctions the last couple of years. They are winding down. When Brey can finish first or go to a final four, let me know.

Why is that universally accepted? I don't accept that. and I bet Wildhack doesn't either.

Within the past 4 years , ND had a LOSING season. They had a couple of very good years and you are giving them all kinds of credit for it being a trend. Stick to your day job and don't try to become a portfolio manager. We have been on sanctions the last couple of years. They are winding down. When Brey can finish first or go to a final four, let me know.

We were in the final four a couple of years ago and we didn't make the tournament last year and this year is in question. We're striking out on most of our main recruiting targets.

What way are we trending? Honestly.

It's frustrating to acknowledge, but I do think ND is trending up, and they've been winning some key recruiting battles this cycle. However, these things tend to be cyclical. JB has a proven track record. Over the years, he has brought Cuse back to the top again after a year or two of mediocrity, and I'm hopeful he can do it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JYCUSE12

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom