SOLD OUT! Dome Will Be Electric For 'Cuse vs Duke | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

SOLD OUT! Dome Will Be Electric For 'Cuse vs Duke

Funny thing after the Hughes block was there was some unexplained stoppage that the crowd really got into. Hughes's hustle is amazing. He's an interesting player.

Strange stoppage while the referee stood there with a towel polishing his ball. (Cue FrancoPizza )

Is Otto's Army still a thing?

Anyways, I'd like to see the court moved to the middle one of these days. If not, then stop selling tickets on the other side of the Dome.

Yea they are still active and actually unlike the past, the first couple rows of student seating has signs on the chairs saying ottos army only.

This would depend upon the fire marshals approval
We're way past that. Can you imagine a grease fire during halftime of the Duke game?
tumblr_n7bhoquRiP1s2mt7oo5_500.gif

This is why I have absolutely no concern about the appeal of this job after Boeheim retires. People underestimate how much coaches value the home crowd advantage. A large and loyal fan base makes winning consistently so much easier. And a great coach will get great recruits, snow or no snow.

This is why I have absolutely no concern about the appeal of this job after Boeheim retires. People underestimate how much coaches value the home crowd advantage. A large and loyal fan base makes winning consistently so much easier. And a great coach will get great recruits, snow or no snow.

Agree in principle but following a legend can be difficult. And being a Top 10 program doesn't necessarily mean getting a Top 10 coach. Assuming that Hop is totally out of the picture (which I do) and that we don't go the SU assistant coach elevated to head coach we likely pick someone in their 40s and who has had some success in the NCAAs over a few years (not an Andy Enfield, but more along the lines of a Chris Mack type).

Thankfully we don't have to worry about this for the next 3-5 years at least.

Cheers,
Neil

I thought we were playing Duke on the 23rd. The article says we are playing Louisville. Leave it to SU for fact checking. I guess as long as we spell it right?

February 20 Men's basketball vs. Louisville (7 p.m., Carrier Dome)
February 21 Women's basketball vs. Pittsburgh (7 p.m., Carrier Dome)
February 22 Ice hockey vs. Lindenwood (7 p.m., Tennity Ice Pavilion)
February 23 Ice hockey vs. Lindenwood (3 p.m., Tennity Ice Pavilion)
Men's basketball vs. Louisville (6 or 8 p.m., Carrier Dome)
February 24 Women's lacrosse vs. Northwestern (12 p.m., Carrier Dome)
Men's lacrosse vs. Army West Point (4 p.m., Carrier Dome)
February 25 Women's basketball vs. Notre Dame (7 p.m., Carrier Dome

Yup easy to mix up...actually University of Syracuse is playing at Louisville. Syracuse University is hosting Duke.

Agree in principle but following a legend can be difficult. And being a Top 10 program doesn't necessarily mean getting a Top 10 coach. Assuming that Hop is totally out of the picture (which I do) and that we don't go the SU assistant coach elevated to head coach we likely pick someone in their 40s and who has had some success in the NCAAs over a few years (not an Andy Enfield, but more along the lines of a Chris Mack type).

Cheers,
Neil

If we can’t get Hop, I’d think about Thad Matta.

Just this season? It's been bad for some time, but it is noticeable more than ever this year. I'm placing a lot of the blame on the current batch of students. It's almost as if they're too cool to make noise or be active during the game.

And yet, the last few games that I have watched on TV it seems like there have been a ton of unfilled orange seat backs in the 100 level directly opposite the cameras? There is plenty of blame to go around including that it is hard to get excited watching a rock fight, until one of the rocks hits home and draws blood.

Last edited:
I feel like the Pitt game and GTown games were the only ones where the crowd seemed lively.

And I agree on the students. Very underwhelming performance by them. We had a great thing going there in the early part of this decade...they were loud and creative with the big heads, etc. It added a lot of fun to the building atmosphere. It’s too bad that momentum somehow stalled out.

Hopefully the team’s recent strong play continues and the fans step it up in the next month leading up to the Duke game. The Duke game is always an awesome crowd. We need a strong showing for the rest of the games.

Maybe the athletic department should consider granting some scholarships to kids who could do a better job leading the Student Section.

Cheers,
Neil

It's kind of a good thing that Chris Mack wound up at Louisville. It serves as a wonderful object lesson for Wildhack. Mack was also replacing a legend. Wildhack can see now that this is a template to follow.

Yeah I don’t understand the fire marshall concern. In the eighties there was a big screen, about 50 tables, and a local band on a stage for all Big East games. Wasn’t an issue then.

There was that dude who was in his mid twenties I think during the 2010-12 era who pretty much organized everything for the student section and had it going really well with all the signs/big heads etc . Espn had a story on him during gameday vs nova I recall
You're probably thinking about Gumby, but there were a lot of people who made Otto's Army what it was in that time period. We had a great group of students and the top 5 ranked teams every year helped.

You're probably thinking about Gumby, but there were a lot of people who made Otto's Army what it was in that time period. We had a great group of students and the top 5 ranked teams every year helped.

2006-07 and 2007-08 didn't have top ranked teams and we were pretty raucous.

2006-07 and 2007-08 didn't have top ranked teams and we were pretty raucous.
Was only speaking about the time period that PP quoted that I was on campus for.

And yet, the last few games that I have watched on TV it seems like there have been a ton of unfilled orange seat backs in the 100 level directly opposite the cameras? There is plenty of blame to go around including that it is hard to get excited watching a rock fight, until one of the rocks hits home and draws blood.
Yeah, and anecdotally it seems we've had more no shows than usual due to a) crazy weather on Saturday and b) a late tip last night. I can't blame season ticket holders for that. The last thing I want to do is leave home at 8 during the work week. Of course, I'm glad I did. That was the most fun I've had at an SU hoops game in months.

Yeah, and anecdotally it seems we've had more no shows than usual due to a) crazy weather on Saturday and b) a late tip last night. I can't blame season ticket holders for that. The last thing I want to do is leave home at 8 during the work week. Of course, I'm glad I did. That was the most fun I've had at an SU hoops game in months.

Good points. 8 PM starts probably significantly cut down on the attendance from fans who live an hour or so away who otherwise might make a 7 PM game.

I’m about an hour and a half away. That hour later start is huge. I’m not getting home at almost midnight on a workday.

Can we get Ottos Army an internship with Atlanta United? Their fan-made hype squad is unreal.

Can we get Ottos Army an internship with Atlanta United? Their fan-made hype squad is unreal.
They just stole all their chants from other MLS teams. If they didn't buy their way to the top of MLS people would be singing a different tune. Wait until they fall back to earth this year. Their fans will treat them just like the Falcons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom