Sorry, I've been traveling, but one quick point... | Syracusefan.com

Sorry, I've been traveling, but one quick point...

Rocco

Watching you.
I know that this may seem aggressive to some, but I really think SU should just lock up Babers with an extension. I fully realize that he just signed a 5-6 year deal, but when looking at the bigger picture, will SU ever be able to land a better coach? In all seriousness, I doubt it.

Dino's offensive system will eventually get fans back in the seats and we've already seen signs of it. We looked like a legit team during parts of that game against ND. Once the talent gap starts to close, we will only get better.

Dungey is improving and so is the offense.

I think we really landed a gem here, but time to be serious and make sure this guy knows he's not going anywhere. Again, I realize it's unlikely this happens, but as a die-hard fan, we'd be blessed to have this guy for the next 10-15 years.

All hail, Dino.

I know that this may seem aggressive to some, but I really think SU should just lock up Babers with an extension. I fully realize that he just signed a 5-6 year deal, but when looking at the bigger picture, will SU ever be able to land a better coach? In all seriousness, I doubt it.

Dino's offensive system will eventually get fans back in the seats and we've already seen signs of it. We looked like a legit team during parts of that game against ND. Once the talent gap starts to close, we will only get better.

I think we really landed a gem here, but time to be serious and make sure this guy knows he's not going anywhere. Again, I realize it's unlikely this happens, but as a die-hard fan, we'd be blessed to have this guy for the next 10-15 years.

All hail, Dino.

could not agree more.

I'm all chips in on Dino, but has one of those super early in the tenure extensions ever worked out? I'm thinking Weiss at Notre Dame.

Agreed, however my approach would be this - Compensate his assistants fairly, renovate the Dome ASAP and do whatever it takes to fix this $h1tty, $h1tty fan base. Give him the support he deserves and listen to what his needs are and you make it very difficult for him to leave.

Most importantly, if he feels that he can win here, he will stay IMO.

Last edited:
Babers would be dumb to sign an extension. He is better off waiting until after he starts winning. Syracuse, some other program, or an NFL team will be forced to pay him major money.

Babers would be dumb to sign an extension. He is better off waiting until after he starts winning. Syracuse, some other program, or an NFL team will be forced to pay him major money.

The NFL hates this system. Won't happen.

But agreed on some other college to an extent.

Really depends on how much he likes it here and how much he he thinks he can get done.

agree 100% here, if Dino can't fix this mess I am not sure anybody that Syracuse could actually obtain will be able too, I would be willing to push all chips in as well, we need a long term solution and I think we have found it, he may need to tweak his defensive staff a bit but I would be fine with locking him up, his offense, his presence and the way he carried himself and represents the program are good enough for me, like I said if he doesn't turn it around we are in trouble

Really depends on how much he likes it here and how much he he thinks he can get done.

Yep, last line means everything. Dino may love it here, which is great he may not. Dino may think he can right the ship or he may be thinking this is too big a rebuild given the limitations that the program faces. Then again, he and Wildhack might be thinking big, which is great

How much he likes it here is irrelevant. It makes no sense for a rising star to commit to ten years when he will be worth far more in the future. If I was his agent, I would advise him "hell no!"

How much he likes it here is irrelevant. It makes no sense for a rising star to commit to ten years when he will be worth far more in the future. If I was his agent, I would advise him "hell no!"

Well, sure. But that's different than your original post. I'd say the numbers and details in the contract would be important too.

I'm all chips in on Dino, but has one of those super early in the tenure extensions ever worked out? I'm thinking Weiss at Notre Dame.
new england vs baylor

this is going to work. this year is a big ol' whatever. the defense stinks. it was going to stink with any coach in the world. we don't need the defense to be that good, we just need it to be kinda bad.

Well, sure. But that's different than your original post.
What is different about it? The point is the same. He could potentially be worth far more in a few years, so it would be dumb to sign an extension right now.

What is different about it? The point is the same. He could potentially be worth far more in a few years, so it would be dumb to sign an extension right now.

Throw out the NFL stuff. If he likes it here - does matter - he may favor stability over money.

If you're Wildhack, you offer.
If you're Babers agent, you say wait.
If you're Babers? Don't know.

I don't think any extension will prevent him from going after his dream job scenario if A) it opened and B) showed interest in him. I have no idea what job that is but i'm 100% sure Syracuse isn't his dream job and he would move after this year if said job opened up. That dream job would buy him out.

Of course this is all very speculative and unlikely but it goes to my first point: an extension does nothing to prevent Dino from leaving. I assume saying all this he isn't Tom O'Brien looking to merely jump a few steps up the football staircase and will take any better job.

All hail, Dino.

A six year deal is fine.

I would not extend.

I love the guy - I enjoy his press conferences. He inspires confidence and seems to have a plan.

It seems that the players like him.

I am hopeful that he will recruit well.

But, I am always hesitant to hail the next great coach after a very short experience.

Throw out the NFL stuff. If he likes it here - does matter - he may favor stability over money.
Whether or not the NFL is bidding for his services does not change the point. Also, I'm not as convinced as you that the NFL isn't a possibility. The NFL seems to be evolving much faster that it used to. If Babers values stability, he will have the opportunity to stay in a few years. There is no incentive for him to commit now. I can't believe any0ne could even challenge that notion.

Whether or not the NFL is bidding for his services does not change the point. Also, I'm not as convinced as you that the NFL isn't a possibility. The NFL seems to be evolving much faster that it used to. If Babers values stability, he will have the opportunity to stay in a few years. There is no incentive for him to commit now. I can't believe any0ne could even challenge that notion.

The fact that Chip Kelly was immediately scooped up by San Fran tells us that the NFL isn't ditching the philosophy any time soon.

The fact that Chip Kelly was immediately scooped up by San Fran tells us that the NFL isn't ditching the philosophy any time soon.

The fans in Philadelphia remain utterly perplexed by the 49ers' decision to hire Chip.

He is viewed here as an abject failure - as both a coach and GM.

On the other hand, he did win 20 games in his first two years after inheriting a 4 win team.

A six year deal is fine.

I would not extend.

I love the guy - I enjoy his press conferences. He inspires confidence and seems to have a plan.

It seems that the players like him.

I am hopeful that he will recruit well.

But, I am always hesitant to hail the next great coach after a very short experience.

Plus, not to mention, i'd like to see one game where we beat a team that we're a legit underdog. Even Marrone year 1 beat that 9-4 Rutgers team in the final game of the year. As Parcells once said, "let's not put him in Canton just yet". Again i love the guy but let's see how this plays out after year one.

The fans in Philadelphia remain utterly perplexed by the 49ers' decision to hire Chip.

He is viewed here as an abject failure - as both a coach and GM.

On the other hand, he did win 20 games in his first two years after inheriting a 4 win team.

Yep same fans that booed DNabb over R Williams ... the average Philadelphia fan is a moron and I'll leave it at that.

Yep same fans that booed DNabb over R Williams ... the average Philadelphia fan is a moron and I'll leave it at that.

Actually, the "fans booing McNabb" was really nothing more than a radio stunt perpetrated by longtime WIP Sports Radio morning man, Angelo Cataldi.

It was Angelo who insisted that the Birds draft Williams.

He led a small contingency up to NYC to boo the pick.

So, I don't think you can say that the Philadelphia fans booed Donovan - that' s not accurate.

And it is not only a number of fans who feel that Chip was a failure - most of the local media, including knowledgeable/fair journalists such as Hall of Fame writer Ray Didinger, agree that Chip's approach was flawed.

Much of the criticism that Didinger and others had was the impact Chip's tempo had on the Eagles defense. Just today, there was discussion over how the 2016 defense has been allowed to play far fewer snaps than the 2015 defense. The conventional wisdom here is that the Chip tempo really hurt the Eagles defense.

Last edited:
The same fans that accepted Michael Vick with open arms.

And that is not accurate either.

Many fans in the area refused to accept Vick as an Eagles player.

I know many who boycotted the team until Vick was released.

Reactions: FAL
And that is not accurate either.

Many fans in the area refused to accept Vick as an Eagles player.

I know many who boycotted the team until Vick was released.
Well that's great to hear.

I followed the Eagles because of McNabb but completely washed my hands of them when they signed Vick. I have friends in S. Jersey that were 15 year season ticket holders that gave them up because of his signing,

Reactions: FAL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom