Sorry smokers | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Sorry smokers

The need to take cigarette breaks has been compared to the need to take bathroom breaks. I think I've seen it all here :confused:

I have never smoked myself, but I have seen people who are addicted to tobacco who were as desperate as anyone I have seen rushing to a Men's room.

I have never smoked myself, but I have seen people who are addicted to tobacco who were as desperate as anyone I have seen rushing to a Men's room.

Right, but one is a craving that will have almost no physical effects on the body if it goes unfulfilled (except for possibly some minor withdrawal symptoms); the other is a necessary bodily function that needs to be taken care of on a regular basis, obviously.

Right, but one is a craving that will have almost no physical effects on the body if it goes unfulfilled (except for possibly some minor withdrawal symptoms); the other is a necessary bodily function that needs to be taken care of on a regular basis, obviously.

I get that when you have to go you better go.

But those "minor withdrawal symptoms" appear to be very uncomfortable.

Like I said, I never partook. But when I see groups of people outside of buildings standing around in the rain so they can smoke, I marvel at the lengths these people will go to satisfy that "need".

Back in the day when airlines had designated smoking rows, I used to chuckle at the smokers when the plane reached altitude and the "Fasten Seat Belt" light went out. You would hear all this sighing or near-moaning as they exhaled that first cloud of smoke out of their lungs.

I'm not talking about lighting up in the Dome or even near where non-smokers are. Every time I walked out of the Dome for a smoke at halftime, the only people around are smokers or people leaving the game entirely. I'm not condoning blowing it in peoples faces or lighting up in a crowd of people like a jerk. I'm talking about being able to use tobacco in a designated area outdoors at the very least.

You're more likely to get cancer from eating too much bologna then walking past a group of smokers outside. Should we ban booze, sodas, and fried foods too? Those are also poor life decisions.

Except in New Orleans and Las Vegas there are very few places where I'm allowed to drink outdoors in public.

I empathize with smokers on this, but on a personal level I'm more upset I can't go outside at halftime and get some fresh air (obviously not standing with the smokers, haha)!

Also on the list of things that makes cusetroop want to smoke... I was given a bigger office last week. Lady that had it before me had a bunch of plants that are now gone. There's freaking fruit flies everywhere. I can see them flying in front of my head right now. What the heck.

Nothing a little napalm can't fix

So SU wants more people in those claustrophobic hotbox corridors during halftime? No timeline for air conditioning, possible individual seating etc, yet they decide now is the time to literally enforce SS's motto - 'lock the doors' but for fans, before even committing to any future relief. Basketball is 2 hours , football is doubled the time spent in the dome. SU mentions other ACC venues - well which ones are held in a dome? There were only certain exits that allowed smoking anyways.

What's ironic is that anyone complaining would be the people actually leaving the game at half time. Can't tick them off, can we? - lol. As people say ' it is what it is' - uggh.

Except in New Orleans and Las Vegas there are very few places where I'm allowed to drink outdoors in public.
Humanity has only successfully enjoyed alcohol in public for a couple thousand years. But a couple thousand years of history isn't enough to convince the puritan cults in our society :/

Yes, Big Nanny needs to put an end to that as well, for the greater good.

Put the Federal Government in charge of healthcare and that sort of thing is a logical extension justified on the "cost savings".

So SU wants more people in those claustrophobic hotbox corridors during halftime? No timeline for air conditioning, possible individual seating etc, yet they decide now is the time to literally enforce SS's motto - 'lock the doors' but for fans, before even committing to any future relief. Basketball is 2 hours , football is doubled the time spent in the dome. SU mentions other ACC venues - well which ones are held in a dome? There were only certain exits that allowed smoking anyways.

What's ironic is that anyone complaining would be the people actually leaving the game at half time. Can't tick them off, can we? - lol. As people say ' it is what it is' - uggh.

"Claustrophobic hotbox corridors"? Ohhh, the horror!

A minor inconvenience restated as unbearable agony.

Just thought of this thread on my commute when I was behind some young girl smoking in her car.

I'm always kind of startled to see people smoking in the car (people still do that?), but this one jumped out because she had a big breast cancer ribbon hanging from her rear-view. Uh, you know what one of the top environmental causes of breast cancer is?

"Claustrophobic hotbox corridors"? Ohhh, the horror!

A minor inconvenience restated as unbearable agony.

I've been going to the Dome for 30 years now, and I have never once gone outside nor felt the need to go outside during a game. Is this a thing? Are thousands of people doing this during games?

I'm all for putting restriction on smoking (i.e. limiting it to isolated areas that are removed from non-smokers), but a 100% ban is a mistake.

I've been going to the Dome for 30 years now, and I have never once gone outside nor felt the need to go outside during a game. Is this a thing? Are thousands of people doing this during games?

Every time this subject of "stifling, unbearable heat" in the Dome comes up, I think back to "sunny" Archbold Stadium.

If these people can't stand the Dome on a hot Saturday, they could never have even survived many Saturdays in truly frigid Archbold. I can still recall just how frozen my buns were as I got up from after watching a November game with no feeling in my tush whatsoever.

In October, the rain clouds would drift around the Onondaga Valley in plain sight. They would eventually pass over the stadium getting everybody wet. And then the wind would pick up and the temperature would drop 15 degrees.

I guess we were made of sturdier stock in those days.

Every time this subject of "stifling, unbearable heat" in the Dome comes up, I think back to "sunny" Archbold Stadium.

If these people can't stand the Dome on a hot Saturday, they could never have even survived many Saturdays in truly frigid Archbold. I can still recall just how frozen my buns were as I got up from after watching a November game with no feeling in my tush whatsoever.

In October, the rain clouds would drift around the Onondaga Valley in plain sight. They would eventually pass over the stadium getting everybody wet. And then the wind would pick up and the temperature would drop 15 degrees.

I guess we were made of sturdier stock in those days.

No, you're old and have thin blood and the heat doesn't bother you, see geographical location known as Florida for further evidence of this phenomenon. I have a son in marching band and sit outside plenty a crappy saturday to watch his shows in the cold, rain, sleet, etc. You can add more clothes, you can add parkas, you can add hot chocolate. What you can't do is escape the heat from a Fri night steamer at the Carrier. I'm not overweight, in decent physical shape, and have sweat so bad in the dome my shirt was saturated. CNY'ers are accustomed to the wet and cold, we are not accustomed to bible belt levels of heat and humidity.

I can still recall just how frozen my buns were as I got up from after watching a November game with no feeling in my tush whatsoever.

Townie I'm not going to lie, if I had to predict which person would use the words "buns" and "tush" in the same post today, you wouldn't have been amongst my first 500 guesses.

A cup with something sugary in it like juice, and Saran Wrap with some small holes poked in it over the top of the cup, with a rubber band around it to keep it tight to the sides of the cup so they can't crawl out. The fruit flies can get in through the holes, but they have a lot of trouble getting out.

A couple years ago I went away for a week and forgot to take the garbage out before I left. Had a fruit fly problem when I got back, but was able to get rid of them quickly by doing the above a few times.

Google was good enough to give me exactly this advice 14yrs ago (I'll give you one guess why I remember the year).
Think I used apple cider vinegar. Worked great.

Townie I'm not going to lie, if I had to predict which person would use the words "buns" and "tush" in the same post today, you wouldn't have been amongst my first 500 guesses.
Sorry, I don't understand.

I was an enlisted man in the military. I spent a couple of years around grizzled vets who worked in profanity the way sculptors work in clay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom