Sorry smokers | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Sorry smokers

"How can we get even less people to come to the Dome"

Let alone the fact that I hate that smokers are discriminated against. Giving them a separate area to smoke is one thing. Not letting them smoke at all is another.

Also, not letting people leave and come back in. That is grade A stupidity. Get ready for more empty seats, particularly in the second half of games.

How about a smoking room- preferably one with windows where you can see the field?

Note: I've never smoked. I ate a cigarette butt when I was four years old because of the commercials bragging about their 'great flavor' but found I could not agree. But my Dad smoked all his life and I recognize it's an addiction and I hate seeing smokers treated like lepers. Yes, it might encourage them to quit but it's tough to go cold turkey. I agree it's going to reduce attendance further. Die hard SU fans who are addicted will decide that they can't make it through a game without a smoke and stay home.

Even more reason why they won't make the same mistake twice and I can keep drinking.

I like when we're all on the same page.

From what I read no one stopped drinking during prohibition. The distribution channel just changed over to Organized Crime. Same thing would happen to doughnuts under a zany Government plan to prevent obesity.

ASU has in/out. They know people wouldn't come if this didn't apply.

So does Indiana University - a big tradition at IU Football is games is for fans to leave and tailgate at halftime.

So does Indiana University - a big tradition at IU Football is games is for fans to leave and tailgate at halftime.

That seems so ridiculous. Halftime is 15 minutes long. Most tailgate lots at the Dome will take you 15 minutes roundtrip just to walk to. Not to mention all the lots that you have to take a shuttle to. It's 3 hours indoors in a giant open structure. People act like it's the same as being trapped in an elevator for 8 hours.

If halftime is 20 minutes long, is it really worth it? How much tailgating can you do in just a few minutes? If someone is going through alcohol withdrawal, just bring a flask into the stadium.

From what I read no one stopped drinking during prohibition. The distribution channel just changed over to Organized Crime. Same thing would happen to doughnuts under a zany Government plan to prevent obesity.

You should watch Boardwalk Empire on HBO. All about this, I have no clue how historically accurate it is. First season is very entertaining. I think it all sorta went downhill from there.

That seems so ridiculous. Halftime is 15 minutes long. Most tailgate lots at the Dome will take you 15 minutes roundtrip just to walk to. Not to mention all the lots that you have to take a shuttle to. It's 3 hours indoors in a giant open structure. People act like it's the same as being trapped in an elevator for 8 hours.

Granted, I've only been to one football game at the Dome, but I'm at a loss as to what you can do in 15 minutes to make a tailgate run worthwhile - or even how you can do it in 15 minutes. Especially with our offense now - you really want to chance missing something?

Granted, I've only been to one football game at the Dome, but I'm at a loss as to what you can do in 15 minutes to make a tailgate run worthwhile - or even how you can do it in 15 minutes. Especially with our offense now - you really want to chance missing something?

Sprint to your car, shotgun a beer and eat a raw hamburger?

You should watch Boardwalk Empire on HBO. All about this, I have no clue how historically accurate it is. First season is very entertaining. I think it all sorta went downhill from there.

I watched it. I thought the atmospherics were better than the plot. And I'm a Steve Buscemi fan (e.g. Trees Lounge)

Being a native New Jerseyan I know a little about all of that era and the history of NJ. AC has always been corrupt and always will be.

In Princeton, my home town, my father told me that The Annex bar, which is located on the main street of town, had been a speakeasy. In the 1930's the town had like 15,000 people and the business district was maybe 4 blocks long.

I told him that that was ridiculous. The Annex is smack in the middle of the town pretty much right across from the main PU building. Everybody would have have to have known about it.

He just looked at me waiting for me to "get it" which I finally did.

I've been going to the Dome for 30 years now, and I have never once gone outside nor felt the need to go outside during a game. Is this a thing? Are thousands of people doing this during games?
i go out for the fresh air, and to cool off. the dome is oppressive .

If halftime is 20 minutes long, is it really worth it? How much tailgating can you do in just a few minutes? If someone is going through alcohol withdrawal, just bring a flask into the stadium.
if we r wining no ones walks back to tailgate

Except in New Orleans and Las Vegas there are very few places where I'm allowed to drink outdoors in public.

Humanity has only successfully enjoyed alcohol in public for a couple thousand years. But a couple thousand years of history isn't enough to convince the puritan cults in our society :/
and Savannah, GA

Alcohol too.

I know, let's forbid the manufacture of alcoholic spirits. We can call it "Prohibition".

As an alcoholic, who is probably going to die in the next few years, we can agree on this. Unless I'm reading this wrong, but tangent coming.

Definitely read it wrong, but oh well. My point remains.

I hate the glorification of alcohol. More power to those that can drink occasionally, and drink some beers at a game, or socially.

Drinking beers in HS, turned into almost 15 years of drinking daily, and alcoholism. Throwing up in the morning trying to choke down booze, while shaking, and praying not to have a seizure.

Yet, cigarettes have negative commercials now. Alcohol commercials are all beaches, beautiful women, and fun. They never show the person who can barely walk to the bathroom after they wake up from hallucinations, and shaking.

Really hate the glorification of it, when it kills so many, and will kill me. It's my own fault, but would love for kids to know the dangers of it. Instead of just a 'drink responsibly' thrown in after a commercial showing the good life.

Last edited:
Tax sodas?
Tax cookies?
Tax cake?
Tax pizza?

Good plan!
Yes we're talking taxes I can live with it. Taxes were initially meant to be a form of persuasion for the greater good.

Yes we're talking taxes I can live with it. Taxes were initially meant to be a form of persuasion for the greater good.

No, taxes were not meant as a "persuasion for the greater good". They were how the legitimate roles of government (e.g., providing for the common defense") were funded.

This idea that we are going to use taxes as a way of discouraging behavior some don't like (i.e., "sin taxes" on alcohol and cigarettes) is a recent idea.

This kind of Nanny state use of the taxing power of Government is at odds with American history and tradition.

But if we are to go down that route, I am convinced that continuous smartphone usage is creating a whole generation of American who are stupider than they would be without them. Hours wasted staring at tiny screens and texting sharing their trivia of their lives would be better used reading, actually talking to some one or observing the world around them.

Clearly we need a $500 a month tax on these phones. That would also address the "distracted driving" issue that is claiming hundreds of lives each year.

if we r wining no ones walks back to tailgate

I kind of agree with this. Part of the reason I wanna go back to the tailgate at the half is to pound some cheap liquor and forget about the beat down I'm watching happen to my favorite sports team in an empty stadium. If we were winning, I'd be more inclined to stay in and bite the bullet for a 10 dollar beer. I'm ok with missing 5 minutes of the second half for a cheap drink and a smoke if we're getting pummeled anyways. It's been torture to watch sober for the majority of my lifetime.

A guy in his mid to late 30's who sits in front of me, leaves right before halftime each and every game - close or not, winning or losing. He rotates friends each game to fill the second seat. After watching what I thought seemed extremely strange for 2 years, I asked him why he and his friends left every game before halftime. He said he leaves to meet other friends to return to their tailgate or when the weather is bad, to go to a bar for the 2nd half. Some people's priorities are just very different. Never realized people did this. He said many of his friends do this.

But if we are to go down that route, I am convinced that continuous smartphone usage is creating a whole generation of American who are stupider than they would be without them. Hours wasted staring at tiny screens

You've posted on on internet message board almost 4,000 times in the past few years. Why is your time on the internet more meaningful than someone else doing whatever it is that entertains them?

You've posted on on internet message board almost 4,000 times in the past few years. Why is your time on the internet more meaningful than someone else doing whatever it is that entertains them?

Let's do the math.
3800 posts / 6 years = 633 posts per year
633 posts x 5 mins each = 3165 mins per year or 55 hrs a year.

That's about an hour a week. And you seriously want to compare that to typical smartphone usage where people are glued to their phones continually.

The studies I have seen suggest this is rotting their brains.

Clearly we need a $500 a month tax on these phones. That would also address the "distracted driving" issue that is claiming hundreds of lives each year.
it would have to be much higher than that to have any impact. This world has sold its soul to the smart phone. People would rather sell their home than part ways with this tech stuff. Incredibly sad.

First season was the best, but it stayed watchable through the whole thing to me.

First season was the best, but it stayed watchable through the whole thing to me.

Agree, I watched it all. I wished they kept Jimmy around a little longer. I mean, how often do you get to see a mother and son get drunk and then have sex with each other?

Agree, I watched it all. I wished they kept Jimmy around a little longer. I mean, how often do you get to see a mother and son get drunk and then have s e x with each other?

That was beyond messed up, but Jimmy was a great character. I liked when they started using Chalky White more in the later seasons. And I liked the 2nd incarnation of Van Alden a lot more than the one that was so prominent in season 1. The story got kinda weak at times and it would drag when they heavily featured characters I didn't care about, but all the seasons had their moments.

Let's do the math.
3800 posts / 6 years = 633 posts per year
633 posts x 5 mins each = 3165 mins per year or 55 hrs a year.

That's about an hour a week. And you seriously want to compare that to typical smartphone usage where people are glued to their phones continually.

The studies I have seen suggest this is rotting their brains.

You're only accounting for the posts you make, not the posts you read. On average, I'd say I spend a solid hour on here everyday reading and/or posting. I'm guessing a lot of the regulars do as well.

But I do agree with you that the vast majority of the population spends far too much time on their phone (me included).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom