Southerland? Good news? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Southerland? Good news?

IMO, no Roger Waters, no Pink Floyd. That was the Division Bell tour. I love Fearless too. Final Cut is depressing but great lyrics. The songs are underrated..."The Final Cut," "The Gunner's Dream," "The Fletcher Memorial Home"...

the final cut feels forced to me...the war narrative was broached by roger and then continued on his first solo effort.....all of their work can be summed by this one lyric "quiet desperation is the english way"....those words painted a picture of post war england and to this day still resonate

Final Cut is intense, but definitely depressing as it is based on his dad's WWII days. Just watching the Wall, as good as it is, really strikes a chord.

I'm a huge fan of Soundtrack from the Film More (green is the colour, cymbaline, nile song).

The last time I went to the Carrier Dome was with a few college friends, one of which was from Syracuse to see Floyd (guessing around 1994-95).
As for favorite song, Fearless is right up there.

i think meddle is a great album...my top 5, currently are (which can change at anytime)

1. animals
2. the wall
3. meddle
4. dark side
5. ummagumma

the final cut feels forced to me...the war narrative was broached by roger and then continued on his first solo effort.....all of their work can be summed by this one lyric "quiet desperation is the english way"....those words painted a picture of post war england and to this day still resonate
The Final Cut is Roger's most emotional work. I think it's brilliant, though obviously depressing. "I held the blade in trembling hands, prepared to make it but... Just then the phone rang, I never had the nerve to make the final cut."

1) The Final Cut
2) The Wall
3) WYWH
4) Animals
5) Dark Side

1) The Wall
2) Animals
3) More
4) WYWH
5) Dark Side

I think...but I don't know. So tough a decision.

I'm surprised this Floyd discussion didn't move on to Syd Barrett. I'm not a huge Syd fan but most Floyd fans are. To me, Flkoyd didn't really take off until Meddle.

The Final Cut is Roger's most emotional work. I think it's brilliant, though obviously depressing. "I held the blade in trembling hands, prepared to make it but... Just then the phone rang, I never had the nerve to make the final cut."

and i would counter with "i've got nicotine stains on my fingers...i've got a silver spoon on a chain. I've got a grand piano to prop up my mortal remains. I've got wild staring eyes. I've got a strong urge to fly. But I've got nowhere to fly to"

the theme recurred post the wall which to me felt forced....especially since the topic of his father was so heavily ingrained in the make up of the wall

this probably isn't the board/thread for this but i love the musical discussion

1) The Final Cut
2) The Wall
3) WYWH
4) Animals
5) Dark Side

1. The Wall
2. The Final Cut
3. Animals
4. WYWH
5. Dark Side
6. A Momentary Lapse of Reason

I had to add a spot because the first post Roger album really is a great album. To my way of thinking, if you count The Final Cut as Floyd even though it is 95% a Roger solo album, then you have to be fair to Gilmour and count his first one.

I'm surprised this Floyd discussion didn't move on to Syd Barrett. I'm not a huge Syd fan but most Floyd fans are. To me, Flkoyd didn't really take off until Meddle.

syd was the catalyst and those who know something about chemistry know that the catalyst expires well before the final product is reached

1. The Wall
2. The Final Cut
3. Animals
4. WYWH
5. Dark Side
6. A Momentary Lapse of Reason

I had to add a spot because the first post Roger album really is a great album. To my way of thinking, if you count The Final Cut as Floyd even though it is 95% a Roger solo album, then you have to be fair to Gilmour and count his first one.

the wall was pretty much a solo album with david, richard, and nick as session musicians

and i would counter with "i've got nicotine stains on my fingers...i've got a silver spoon on a chain. I've got a grand piano to prop up my mortal remains. I've got wild staring eyes. I've got a strong urge to fly. But I've got nowhere to fly to"

the theme recurred post the wall which to me felt forced....especially since the topic of his father was so heavily ingrained in the make up of the wall

this probably isn't the board/thread for this but i love the musical discussion
true, there was some recycling of ideas on The Final Cut but he did change things up by referencing the Falklands and modern elements and the Post-War-Dream in England and how that was not realized. Some of the songs were leftovers from The Wall, ie: The Gunner's Dream...and the suicidal character I referenced above was clearly Pink. I just love The Final Cut, the production, the sound, the emotions, etc.

Maybe BoyzIIMen pics can become our rallying cry, like JLH two years ago?

Boyz-II-Men-Youre-The-Reason-Lyrics.jpeg

Nah..doesnt have the same effect

JLH started last year, right?

the wall was pretty much a sole album with david, richard, and nick as session musicians

I disagree. Roger could never get away with treating David like a session musician and Gilmour's influence and input is all over The Wall.

Animals is the most underrated Floyd product by far. Agree above on the absence of Roger. I've seen roger three times solo and I've seen Floyd twice without roger and I prefer the later.

Roger is the most important creative force in the band, but nothing beats Gilmore on stage IMHO.

I love the turn this thread has taken.

I disagree. Roger could never get away with treating David like a session musician and Gilmour's influence and input is all over The Wall.

while i agree to an extent (re: gilmour's influence) the material was exclusivley written by roger and presented to the band...david was afforded the opportunity to put his signature on certain guitar parts/solos but in the end it was pretty much all roger

Well, Roger certainly tried to do so. And he did during the recording of The Final Cut. During The Final Cut sessions, Roger actually left intructions behind for David regarding his solos. On The Wall, it wasn't much of a collaboration. Other people actually played drums on a few of the tracks. David didn't play the classical guitar on Is There Anybody Out There, etc.

Animals is the most underrated Floyd product by far. Agree above on the absence of Roger. I've seen roger three times solo and I've seen Floyd twice without roger and I prefer the later.

Roger is the most important creative force in the band, but nothing beats Gilmore on stage IMHO.

I love the turn this thread has taken.

it's the concept album's concept album

One other Floyd note...re: Momentary Lapse. It really was basically a David solo album. In fact, Mason didn't play a note. He was in charge of sound effects, like in Learning To Fly. One of the drummers was Carmine Appice. Two other underrated Floyd-related works are Roger's Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking and Amused to Death (I am a huge Roger fan, as you can tell).

while i agree to an extent (re: gilmour's influence) the material was exclusivley written by roger and presented to the band...david was afforded the opportunity to put his signature on certain guitar parts/solos but in the end it was pretty much all roger

David had a large impact not only through his guitar playing but also by changing and rewriting portions of the album that didn't quite work they way Roger wanted them. Roger admits now, that songs like "Run Like Hell" and especially "Comfortably Numb" were better songs because of David's inputs. Dave's vocals are also incredibly important to The Wall.

I'm a huge Syd fan. He passed a few years ago, but had a really rough time coping when the buzz about them started growing. Either that or the Acid.

David had a large impact not only through his guitar playing but also by changing and rewriting portions of the album that didn't quite work they way Roger wanted them. Roger admits now, that songs like "Run Like Hell" and especially "Comfortably Numb" were better songs because of David's inputs. Dave's vocals are also incredibly important to The Wall.

That being said, I love the abum's demos...you can find them on piratebay and elsewhere as The Wall Under Construction. Roger refuses to release his original demos but pieces of them are on The Wall Immersion box set that came out a year or 2 ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom