Southwest is coming to SYR | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Southwest is coming to SYR

Long story. The grandparents my fiance parents dont like to book online they prefer the person to person booking.
OK, fair.

But if SW has a great rate, you could book online for them. Might save everyone some money.

hopefully they up the non stop game for some of these flights. non stop from buff/alb to FLL but not from syr or roc

I've never ever ever flown Southwest. I hate that they wont let me choose a seat like every other airline. And honestly out of NJ I find that they rarely go where I need without a stopover. Its worth a little more money for me to get a nonstop flight in the seat I want.

SWA is tops with me. No baggage charge for 2 bags under 50lbs. They fly only 737 (easier to maintain one model). No bullsheet nickel for overhead bin use or dime for a better seat. Yes you can pay to board early - big deal. Maybe you get the exit row. It's not premiere service, but I find them consistent, friendly and egalitarian (whatever the hell "egalitarian" means).
Also I usually fly for free by using my SWA Rewards card.
J*sus Chr*st I sound like an advertisement.

Service starts mid-Nov. I look forward to booking them from Reno back to the 'Cuse for games. Maybe the Pitt game 11/27

SWA is tops with me. No baggage charge for 2 bags under 50lbs. They fly only 737 (easier to maintain one model). No bullsheet nickel for overhead bin use or dime for a better seat. Yes you can pay to board early - big deal. Maybe you get the exit row. It's not premiere service, but I find them consistent, friendly and egalitarian (whatever the hell "egalitarian" means).

Service starts mid-Nov. I look forward to booking them from Reno back to the 'Cuse for games. Maybe the Pitt game 11/27
since i usaally know when i am flying way ahead and I pay the $20 fee I have almost always boarded in the first 20-50 people and have pretty much picked my seat every time.but other than flying out west the flights are all pretty short anyway so I really dont care where i sit.

i just dont get why i cant pay a $20 fee like I do on every other airline for the actual seat, rather than $20 for the chance of a seat. I'm glad the other airlines never jumped on this model.

If it flew where I wanted to go and it was dramatically cheaper I would likely suck it up. But out of Newark NJ the routes tend to be limited, so its not worth the hassle.

Agree. Love Southwest. It's so much easier in my wheelchair to get on board first and get to pick any seat that works best for me.

While it's great that SW is finally in town, Anyone find it odd that they would bring service and then just start with flights to BWI? The slot pairs that would be profitable seem many... Austin, Dallas, St. Louis, Denver, Midway, San Juan, Nashville, Atlanta... I dunno seems short sighted to me.

Last edited:
Finally……love Southwest and the ability to change flights at any time with no fees….

While it's great that SW is finally in town, Anyone find it odd that they would bring service and then just start with flights to BWI? The slot pairs that would be profitable seem many... Austin, Dallas, St. Louis, Denver, Midway, San Juan, Nashville, Atlanta... I dunno seems short sighted to me.
BWI is a SW hub. You can get most places from there. I live in PA about an hour from BWI and am friends with a number of SW pilots who like living a little farther (and cheaper) from the airport

BWI is a SW hub. You can get most places from there. I live in PA about an hour from BWI and am friends with a number of SW pilots who like living a little farther (and cheaper) from the airport
while it is true that BWI is a hub of sorts (more like a focus city if you ask me), it is still just 1 connection point, with limited routes/times. Also let's not pretend BWI is akin to JetBlue's Boston or NY hub either... It is great to get any service from SW, and hopefully this is just the start.

When me and my family travel we book through a travel company and most travel company's do not book southwest allegiant spirit frontier etc the low cost carriers.
Unless you are fly business or first class all domestic airlines are very similar. If you are flying coach book to save money, save connections and get a convenient schedule.

Last edited:
while it is true that BWI is a hub of sorts (more like a focus city if you ask me), it is still just 1 connection point, with limited routes/times. Also let's not pretend BWI is akin to JetBlue's Boston or NY hub either... It is great to get any service from SW, and hopefully this is just the start.
Yes a start...but it gives you 2 checked bags too for free. It is another option and will capture more business from ROC and ALB travelers

They actually could fly once a day to LI Macarthur and probably do well. I'd pay $118 Rdtp for a wanna get away fare.

Initially, it will operate three daily flights to BWI. In addition, the airline will launch nonstop service on select Saturdays during peak fall and winter holiday periods to Orlando, Florida, starting Saturday, Nov. 20.

Initially, it will operate three daily flights to BWI. In addition, the airline will launch nonstop service on select Saturdays during peak fall and winter holiday periods to Orlando, Florida, starting Saturday, Nov. 20.

We booked 2 for Thanksgiving. Very cheap.

The other 2 of us will drive. Gives flexibility on going to the Pitt game Saturday since the time is TBD, but might not want to wait around until a Sunday flight if it's a nooner.

S
We booked 2 for Thanksgiving. Very cheap.

The other 2 of us will drive. Gives flexibility on going to the Pitt game Saturday since the time is TBD, but might not want to wait around until a Sunday flight if it's a nooner.
Southwest is like crack or In and Out. Once you start you don’t stop. They are just the best run airline.

Really hope we get good load factors for SW. IT would be great for them to add a more westerly route for added flexibility as BWI can be somewhat of a factor when connecting.

Flew Southwest for the first time yesterday. Quick flight from Salt Lake to Vegas. No frills, or booze, but seems like a well organized operation. Will fly with them more!

Flew Southwest for the first time yesterday. Quick flight from Salt Lake to Vegas. No frills, or booze, but seems like a well organized operation. Will fly with them more!

Biggest key is remembering to check in exactly 24 hours before the flight (or pay for the $20 early check in).

Otherwise, you get relegated to C, which stands for cattle, or commoner. Pick your favorite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom