Sports radio question | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Sports radio question

how bout the players on teams that might not play in certain conferences with pro aspirations who might get drafted ?

But if one conference plays all teams and players should be allowed to play. Let's think of the ramifications on players future professional football careers and their ability to make money and provide for their familys (alot of them who come from low income families and environments)

C73CC2F2-9F8C-4A07-964F-2B18C665E159.jpeg

I will not be going to any games in 2020. And I will re-evaluate in 2021 and see where things are in the world are at that point in regards to the virus.

From what I read and hear from the medical experts this is gonna be a few years until things get back to the "normal" we are used to. There is no quick fix or 1 year fix here.

The other issue, is parking at the Dome isn't ideal and for those that park at SkyTop and take the bus over, the days of cramming those busses filled with people and everyone is on top of each other are over. I'm not spending money on a parking pass, so unless they change the way SkyTop operates how I get to the Dome is a big deal on if/when I return. And it will be that way for a lot of people too.

If I feel safe, I will go.

What would make me feel safe?

Honestly, the way things are right now, with low rates of infection in Onondaga County, if I am wearing a mask, I feel safe. I think I would feel safer at the game than at the tailgate, where you have to take your mask off to eat or drink.

Where I sit, there are rarely others close by. There would be changes. No more high fiving, no more head butts, no more crowd surfing. I could survive those.

Currently cautiously optimistic.
Just know that if it's not a N95 mask, it's not doing much to keep you safe. All of the others are intended to keep the wearer from unknowingly spreading it. That's why it's so important for everyone to wear one public. It's too bad where I live people don't get that, and very few people are wearing them as restrictions are relaxed.

Just know that if it's not a N95 mask, it's not doing much to keep you safe. All of the others are intended to keep the wearer from unknowingly spreading it. That's why it's so important for everyone to wear one public. It's too bad where I live people don't get that, and very few people are wearing them as restrictions are relaxed.
It is true that N95 masks are a lot more effective protection for the wearer than surgical masks.
But if everyone in a large gathering is wearing surgical masks, the infection rate is low and the staff is doing temp checks (I think that is a given), I feel safe.

Particularly because I sit in a row one row from the highest row at the dome (I think it is better to to behind most of the crowd rather than in front of and below it), have a sealed coaches box next to me, control the 3 seats next to me and know there will be few people moving around anywhere close to me.

I am expecting that if they play games in the dome this year, the biggest crowd will be less than 25K. I do not see big issues in that kind of a setting. For me anyway.

Wear a mask and gloves
Take gloves off to use your phone if you have to and that’s about it .How else can you get it ? Right now out of a population of 330,000,000 not even a half of one percent got the virus and out of that half of 1% 7% have died of half of 1% the odds are extremely low to get it and die from it . Of course if you or someone you know is in that category it’s horrible but with mask and gloves that low percentage should drop a ton more so I would definitely go to anything.
I would feel more uncomfortable at a restaurant or bar without a mask than anything else . We have slowed this down , we are educated how to protect ourselves it’s time to get back to work . 1.25 million people a year die from car accidents we don’t stop driving
But those numbers are because of the restrictions that have been in place. The numbers will go up if people don't use safe practices as restrictions are lifted. Where I live I'm seeing just that. People are starting to go places without masks and are not trying to stay 6 feet apart. I'll be interested to see what happens to the numbers in a few weeks.

As I said in another post, most of the masks people are wearing do not protect the wearer (it has to be a N95 for that). They protect everyone around the wearer. That's why it's so important for everyone to comply. It is everyone's responsibility to protect everyone else, especially because you can go through the whole course of the virus and be asymptomatic. But in our egocentric world where most people care more about their rights than their responsibilities, that's not happening.

The car crash statistic you gave is misleading. That's a worldwide statistic. There are less than 40,000 motor vehicle deaths in the U.S. per year, and that's with nearly everyone "exposed" on a regular basis and sometimes multiple times per day. The highest it's ever been was 54,589 in 1972. So that number has come way down due to government mandated safety measures (something people are currently pushing back against with Covid-19). In two months Covid-19 has blown annual vehicle deaths out of the water and it's still going strong at 2,000 deaths per day.

It is true that N95 masks are a lot more effective protection for the wearer than surgical masks.
But if everyone in a large gathering is wearing surgical masks, the infection rate is low and the staff is doing temp checks (I think that is a given), I feel safe.

Particularly because I sit in a row one row from the highest row at the dome (I think it is better to to behind most of the crowd rather than in front of and below it), have a sealed coaches box next to me, control the 3 seats next to me and know there will be few people moving around anywhere close to me.

I am expecting that if they play games in the dome this year, the biggest crowd will be less than 25K. I do not see big issues in that kind of a setting. For me anyway.
Yes, if everyone is wearing a mask, you're right. That's not happening and places are having a hard time enforcing that mandate. Maybe SU would have more luck at the Dome than what I've seen.

I'm out in public everyday since I do home health care and have been my family's designated grocery person. As soon as restrictions started being relaxed, I saw fewer people wearing masks. A local newspaper reporter did an informal observation where he went to the mall, Gatlinburg, and a grocery store to see how many people were wearing masks. Out of 100 people he counted at each location he saw 12, 37, and 3 respectively, and the 3 in Gatlinburg were all part of the same group. Either people think the virus is gone because restrictions are being relaxed or they just don't care.

I would be curious to see what would happen at a large gathering like a sporting event, if people wore masks to get admitted but then began taking them off once inside. Would it look like that guy that was dragged off a bus a couple weeks ago when wasn't wearing one?

Our society really needs to work together in a way similar to what we had to do during WWII, if we're going to safely open things up again soon. I'm not sure our culture has the ability to be that selfless anymore.

So lets say SU, PITT and BC don't bring kids back until September or January (no summer activity). Does Clemson and FSU just schedule SEC schools who are playing? I have said all along the southern schools are going to play because they don't care about the optic that says Universities exist to serve the football programs, not sure the northeast institutions and their government leaders are ready to so obviously acknowledge that.

Based on what? There's so many labs and so many resources devoted to vaccine development right now.
We don't have a vaccine for AIDS, SARS, MRSA, etc. We don't even have a vaccine for the flu. You just get injected with the most recent strain, essentially, so that you build up some immunity for the next flu bug. yet tens of thousands in the US die from the flu each year.
So many things we can't get a vaccine for. Plus, this thing is mutating like crazy.

So lets say SU, PITT and BC don't bring kids back until September or January (no summer activity). Does Clemson and FSU just schedule SEC schools who are playing? I have said all along the southern schools are going to play because they don't care about the optic that says Universities exist to serve the football programs, not sure the northeast institutions and their government leaders are ready to so obviously acknowledge that.
So, what about Purdue, which has announced that is reopening, realizing that this is not a fatal illness for its population? SU has already said it is reopening. Unless a school is in NYC, LA, etc., I don't see a reason not to reopen. Kids will get sick. They will get better. Kids get sick every semester. Then they get better.

So, what about Purdue, which has announced that is reopening, realizing that this is not a fatal illness for its population? SU has already said it is reopening. Unless a school is in NYC, LA, etc., I don't see a reason not to reopen. Kids will get sick. They will get better. Kids get sick every semester. Then they get better.
SU has said what they had to say to get the May deposits - we plan to reopen unless we are told not to. The schools aren't making the decision.

But those numbers are because of the restrictions that have been in place. The numbers will go up if people don't use safe practices as restrictions are lifted. Where I live I'm seeing just that. People are starting to go places without masks and are not trying to stay 6 feet apart. I'll be interested to see what happens to the numbers in a few weeks.

As I said in another post, most of the masks people are wearing do not protect the wearer (it has to be a N95 for that). They protect everyone around the wearer. That's why it's so important for everyone to comply. It is everyone's responsibility to protect everyone else, especially because you can go through the whole course of the virus and be asymptomatic. But in our egocentric world where most people care more about their rights than their responsibilities, that's not happening.

The car crash statistic you gave is misleading. That's a worldwide statistic. There are less than 40,000 motor vehicle deaths in the U.S. per year, and that's with nearly everyone "exposed" on a regular basis and sometimes multiple times per day. The highest it's ever been was 54,589 in 1972. So that number has come way down due to government mandated safety measures (something people are currently pushing back against with Covid-19). In two months Covid-19 has blown annual vehicle deaths out of the water and it's still going strong at 2,000 deaths per day.

The numbers are fake because hospitals are incentivized you report deaths from Covid19. So even if someone dies of a car accident they’ll get labeled as dying from the virus. Plus Dr Fauci sent an email to Hillary Clinton once. People forget that.

The BC/SU game in early September is gonna have to be moved location or time wise. Newton isn't going to let that happen.

ND in Ireland hasnt been cancelled yet which is good news for those who are hopeful things start on time for private schools w northeastern students

My life’s dream is to hit the lottery and buy my own island ! It will be called common sense island! ! Commons sense rules no written law ! People protesting Costco because you have to wear a mask to shop there citing there rights ??? People are so stupid caring about rights when something so unprecedented as this happens! How hard is it to wear a mask ? People who don’t wear mask will probably get smacked around and learn the hard way

My life’s dream is to hit the lottery and buy my own island ! It will be called common sense island! ! Commons sense rules no written law ! People protesting Costco because you have to wear a mask to shop there citing there rights ??? People are so stupid caring about rights when something so unprecedented as this happens! How hard is it to wear a mask ? People who don’t wear mask will probably get smacked around and learn the hard way

Or shoot you if you ask them to wear one

If students don't return, but college athletes are back competing in college stadiums/arenas, then the whole phony construct of "student-athlete" will be dead forever. And then colleges will be conceding that their athletes are employees. Here comes disability/compensation coverage, unions, etc.

It's obscene. If SU does that, I've submitted my last season ticket payment.

Right now out of a population of 330,000,000 not even a half of one percent got the virus and out of that half of 1% 7% have died of half of 1% the odds are extremely low to get it and die from it .
We have to retrain the brain to know we don't know how many have gotten the virus and who have died from the virus. Parts of NY have antibodies close to 19 percent. A lot more than .5% have gotten the virus and more have died.

would you go to Football Game In September if there is no vaccine ?

For me I have missed 5 home games in 21 years and if I have to hesitate to answer then that means I would not attend. I’m not scared for myself, And I even think it’s getting to the point where we have to live our lives a little, but with 4 young kids and my parent creeping up on 60 just not worth it for a football game.
I have missed that many games in the last 40 years. I am 68. I have asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure and two years ago had an aortic anurysm and now have stents and implants to keep the blood flowing. Even if they come up with a vaccine, I am taking this season off. If I can't visit my grand children and daughter, why should I take my life in my hands and go to some stupid football game. Ask yourself, is it really worth it? Today was my wife and and my 67th day of lock down. It would be kind of nuts to just give up now.

I have missed that many games in the last 40 years. I am 68. I have asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure and two years ago had an aortic anurysm and now have stents and implants to keep the blood flowing. Even if they come up with a vaccine, I am taking this season off. If I can't visit my grand children and daughter, why should I take my life in my hands and go to some stupid football game. Ask yourself, is it really worth it? Today was my wife and and my 67th day of lock down. It would be kind of nuts to just give up now.

tough times make tough people, not stupid people. Good for you Bill. It's a football game played at a school i attended. I hope the school makes decisions based on their student body and not people who root for the teams. The NFL is a different animal because their businss is the sport. SU is a college w sports as an extracurricular. They can survive without sports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom