Sports radio question | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Sports radio question

If having to have my temperature checked at the gate allows me to go in and enjoy SU Football or Basketball in person at the dome during these times. I'm willing to deal with it small inconvience. I'm sure many fans would feel the same.

BTW, When people buy their tickets have them sign a waiver saying admission subject to temperature check upon entering. Don't see the big deal.

The buying the ticket thing is buyer beware. Good luck proving you got sick at a game anyway.

The temperature thing will never fly, people that get turned away, after tailgating or just being obstinate at those gates, bad, bad, bad...maybe Syracuse is nice but it would be bad in many stadiums.

The buying the ticket thing is buyer beware. Good luck proving you got sick at a game anyway.

The temperature thing will never fly, people that get turned away, after tailgating or just being obstinate at those gates, bad, bad, bad...maybe Syracuse is nice but it would be bad in many stadiums.
I disagree. Yes, this is not going to be an easy thing to implement. But it can be done. I get temp checked everyday at work and while it is a small inconvenience, I like knowing my temperature is good and everyone else I work with does not have a fever.

I think temp checks will be required by the government in order to allow a large gathering to take place. The temp checks will be publicized beforehand. People will be told to check their temperature before going to the game and that they won’t be allowed in if they have a fever.

I also think having them will discourage people who are not feeling well from trying to go to games and will help encourage fans who are sitting on the fence to decide it is safe to go. It is not going to be easy to get convince fans to start attending sporting events again. These kinds of things have to get put in place or the games won’t get played.

People know they need to bring their ticket to go to games. They adjusted when metal detectors were added. They adjusted when the clear bag policy was implemented. Everyone adjusted when security was stepped up in airports. This will work and be fine.

In a 60 Minutes segment on Italy’s fight with the Coronavirus, they demonstrated how one soccer game (Atalanta vs Valencia) attended by 40k likely exploded the infection rate.

Other news sources have published stories on the same game and the impact it had on spreading the virus.

It’s one of the reasons I will likely skip large sporting events for the foreseeable future.

In fairness he's probably right. Once one goes down the rest tend to follow as they did in the spring.
I was referring to the 'live your life in a bubble' stuff, not the FB part.

I disagree. Yes, this is not going to be an easy thing to implement. But it can be done. I get temp checked everyday at work and while it is a small inconvenience, I like knowing my temperature is good and everyone else I work with does not have a fever.

I think temp checks will be required by the government in order to allow a large gathering to take place. The temp checks will be publicized beforehand. People will be told to check their temperature before going to the game and that they won’t be allowed in if they have a fever.

I also think having them will discourage people who are not feeling well from trying to go to games and will help encourage fans who are sitting on the fence to decide it is safe to go. It is not going to be easy to get convince fans to start attending sporting events again. These kinds of things have to get put in place or the games won’t get played.

People know they need to bring their ticket to go to games. They adjusted when metal detectors were added. They adjusted when the clear bag policy was implemented. Everyone adjusted when security was stepped up in airports. This will work and be fine.

You're a gentleman and a good person.

Tell some meathead with 5 beers in them who dropped 200 bucks for a ticket (who also thinks it's their God given right to let the whole section know their thoughts) that they clocked in one tenth of one degree too high, that they cannot be with their friends, kids, etc. I go to a lot of big events, people can be jerks and staff abrasive as is over something as stupid as a bobblehead doll.

if the use real equipment to do the temp check like the infrared stuff an ice bottle isnt gonna do the trick.

Tell some meathead with 5 beers in them who dropped 200 bucks for a ticket (who also thinks it's their God given right to let the whole section know their thoughts) that they clocked in one tenth of one degree too high, that they cannot be with their friends, kids, etc. I go to a lot of big events, people can be jerks and staff abrasive as is over something as stupid as a bobblehead doll.
I don’t want to minimize this. This pandemic is the biggest challenge our generation will face. It is our World War. Finding the path to normalcy is not going to be easy. There was rationing, chronic shortages and a lot of personal sacrifice when the country faced the world wars and our ancestors found their way though it.

I think our country will find a way through this too. From what I have read about the virus, if you are at a point where you have a high fever, it is unlikely you are going to want to attend a football game. Maybe this could be a problem in Alabama for diehard fans trying to get into the Iron Bowl.

I think people here that are not feeling well are going to decide it is better to watch a home game against Colgate, or Georgia Tech or whoever on TV rather than in person. I think the temp check is going to find few if any people and its purpose is more for making the people that go feel a little safer (and convincing people who do not feel great that it is not worth it to go to the game and get rejected at the gate).

At my company, we have been doing infrared team checks on every employee every day for close to 2 months now. Over 500 employees. So far, there have been no temp check fails. If I did my math right, that is around 0 for 20,000.

If we start opening things up and people start acting irresponsibly, and do things suggested in this thread, like taking their mandatory masks off inside the arena, or trying to force their way into games with fevers, all it will do is shut down the opening process and put us in a worse place. I think people will do the right thing and take this seriously. Yes, there will probably be a handful of idiots that will refuse to comply to some of the new rules. I think if nothing else, the public will self police these people and make sure things are okay.

I am a glass half full kind of guy. I am optimistic. The fact I am even thinking I will be attending games this fall shows that. Hopefully this generation will step up and do what is needed to make this thing go away. I think there will be some missteps, but it will happen. I sure hope so.

I don’t want to minimize this. This pandemic is the biggest challenge our generation will face. It is our World War. Finding the path to normalcy is not going to be easy. There was rationing, chronic shortages and a lot of personal sacrifice when the country faced the world wars and our ancestors found their way though it.

I think our country will find a way through this too. From what I have read about the virus, if you are at a point where you have a high fever, it is unlikely you are going to want to attend a football game. Maybe this could be a problem in Alabama for diehard fans trying to get into the Iron Bowl.

I think people here that are not feeling well are going to decide it is better to watch a home game against Colgate, or Georgia Tech or whoever on TV rather than in person. I think the temp check is going to find few if any people and its purpose is more for making the people that go feel a little safer (and convincing people who do not feel great that it is not worth it to go to the game and get rejected at the gate).

At my company, we have been doing infrared team checks on every employee every day for close to 2 months now. Over 500 employees. So far, there have been no temp check fails. If I did my math right, that is around 0 for 20,000.

If we start opening things up and people start acting irresponsibly, and do things suggested in this thread, like taking their mandatory masks off inside the arena, or trying to force their way into games with fevers, all it will do is shut down the opening process and put us in a worse place. I think people will do the right thing and take this seriously. Yes, there will probably be a handful of idiots that will refuse to comply to some of the new rules. I think if nothing else, the public will self police these people and make sure things are okay.

I am a glass half full kind of guy. I am optimistic. The fact I am even thinking I will be attending games this fall shows that. Hopefully this generation will step up and do what is needed to make this thing go away. I think there will be some missteps, but it will happen. I sure hope so.

Yes, if everyone is wearing a mask, you're right. That's not happening and places are having a hard time enforcing that mandate. Maybe SU would have more luck at the Dome than what I've seen.

I'm out in public everyday since I do home health care and have been my family's designated grocery person. As soon as restrictions started being relaxed, I saw fewer people wearing masks. A local newspaper reporter did an informal observation where he went to the mall, Gatlinburg, and a grocery store to see how many people were wearing masks. Out of 100 people he counted at each location he saw 12, 37, and 3 respectively, and the 3 in Gatlinburg were all part of the same group. Either people think the virus is gone because restrictions are being relaxed or they just don't care.

I would be curious to see what would happen at a large gathering like a sporting event, if people wore masks to get admitted but then began taking them off once inside. Would it look like that guy that was dragged off a bus a couple weeks ago when wasn't wearing one?

Our society really needs to work together in a way similar to what we had to do during WWII, if we're going to safely open things up again soon. I'm not sure our culture has the ability to be that selfless anymore.
Anyone not wearing a mask inside the dome should be put in a harness and strung out on a wire suspended over the field until the crowd leaves after the game at which time they can be brought back in, given a fine and sent home.
Maybe let a couple off early through a lottery during tv timeouts.

So lets say SU, PITT and BC don't bring kids back until September or January (no summer activity). Does Clemson and FSU just schedule SEC schools who are playing? I have said all along the southern schools are going to play because they don't care about the optic that says Universities exist to serve the football programs, not sure the northeast institutions and their government leaders are ready to so obviously acknowledge that.

Has anyone seen anything on how transfers would be treated in that scenario?

If say BC or SU don’t have football but other schools in the conference do, can any of the players from BC or SU transfer to a school that’s playing without sitting out a year? That could crush a roster.

I mean why wouldn’t they be able to if they want to play a sport that their current school isn’t offering anymore. Unless they tell schools not to accept transfers in a gentleman’s agreement to prevent that.

I don't disagree with a lot of this. I'd prefer we go about our business responsibly so we can get back to living.

However, I've just seen massive blowups at gates for trivial stuff. Incredibly long lines already for big events and a testy crowd. Does anyone that gets turned away get the money back? Doubtful. All it takes is a few to mess it up, that was my point.

I think its a big assumption that we have big crowds right now... I wouldnt be surprised that we dont have much more than kids/family and a limited number of fans to start if we start with crowds.

I'm thinking of the FSU game ago two years ago when I almost got into a fight because a) the two scumbags in front of me in the beer line called the SU kid serving them a "Hadji" and b) after I told them what I thought about that behavior and looked to the four guys standing behind me for a little support, they thought it was the funniest thing they'd seen all day.

I have no faith in the people who go to college football games to do the right thing or police the minority around them who aren't doing the right thing.

I have seen the version of "JOE FAN" you just described knock over women and children trying to catch a free crappy t-shirt they have the free help throw out a few times a game after a touchdown. So yeah, what you just described will 100% happen...lol

another thought, what happens if by September NY State (or SU on their own) says no gatherings at sporting events larger than 15,000 (just making up a number but in or around there, since that's the number Hard Rock Stadium is prepping for this year for NFL games, having a partial stadium) people or something like that to have social distancing at the game and not have people on top of each other. Let 15,000 in the building and everyone spread out.

How do they pick the 15,000?

-Students, faculty, and family only?
-Season Ticket holders by seniority of years you have had season tickets?
-Lottery draw?
-Split Season Ticket Holders into 2 groups, half get one group of games the other get the other group of games. And some individual game tickets people fill out the other half at all the games?

And do you throw out the Band in a year like this to give those seats/spots to fans who actually want to see the game?

went to one of the first rams games where clear hand bags are required. You’d think they called every woman who got denied the c word. People were going nuts

another thought, what happens if by September NY State (or SU on their own) says no gatherings at sporting events larger than 15,000 (just making up a number but in or around there, since that's the number Hard Rock Stadium is prepping for this year for NFL games, having a partial stadium) people or something like that to have social distancing at the game and not have people on top of each other. Let 15,000 in the building and everyone spread out.

-Lottery draw?
-Split Season Ticket Holders into 2 groups, half get one group of games the other get the other group of games. And some individual game tickets people fill out the other half at all the games?

And do you throw out the Band in a year like this to give those seats/spots to fans who actually want to see the game?

I propose only letting locals attend including su students and faculty. Season ticketholders are mostly locals and the rest of single game admission comes from the syracuse community CNY region as a whole maybe some surrounding regions.

Just for the fall football season. I suspect vaccine by early 2021. So may have to follow same for su basketball season.

I propose only letting locals attend including su students and faculty. Season ticketholders are mostly locals and the rest of single game admission comes from the syracuse community CNY region as a whole maybe some surrounding regions.

Just for the fall football season. I suspect vaccine by early 2021. So may have to follow same for su basketball season.
I agree with what your saying, but how do you do the cut-off of 15,000 (or whatever the number may be)?

I don't even know how many season ticket holders there are for SU football total, does anyone have that ballpark number?

Do you cap off the student section at like 500 or 1,000 only?

-Lottery draw?

I wonder if a crowd of 15,000 could generate enough revenue to justify opening and staffing the building for the day.

SU can survive without sports if the dont play any and dont hand out the scholies, otherwise they are millions in debt depending on tv money for sports that dont get played.
They have scholarships that need to be honored if school is in session.

that was my point, if the school is in session and they dont play then they owe 10-20 million in scholies. they dont make money if kids are not living on campus to cover all the other budget issues. Sports just add a huge extra cost to the deficit of being in virtual mode.

that was my point, if the school is in session and they dont play then they owe 10-20 million in scholies. they dont make money if kids are not living on campus to cover all the other budget issues. Sports just add a huge extra cost to the deficit of being in virtual mode.

exactly, student athletes aren’t “paid” but they are certainly on the books at a university. And in order for the university to get its “pay back” it needs the students to compete in sports to make money for the university, which is why, universities give scholarships.

They don’t give them to the athlete because they want to help the athlete...they do it because they want to win and with winning brings them money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom