Sports radio question | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Sports radio question

SU can survive without sports if the dont play any and dont hand out the scholies, otherwise they are millions in debt depending on tv money for sports that dont get played.

We don't have a vaccine for AIDS, SARS, MRSA, etc. We don't even have a vaccine for the flu. You just get injected with the most recent strain, essentially, so that you build up some immunity for the next flu bug. yet tens of thousands in the US die from the flu each year.
So many things we can't get a vaccine for. Plus, this thing is mutating like crazy.
It's foolish to compare this virus to any other virus and there is some much that is inaccurate in this post.

AIDS is nowhere near as communicable as this and it attacks the immune system itself.

SARS, although more lethal, burned out much faster and affected far fewer people. Initial vaccines had problems, but because it burned out so fast the resources were never put forth to fix it. Contact tracing was also much easier because all cases became symptomatic quickly, unlike Covid-19.

MRSA is another infection that is not nearly as communicable. You can't get it by simply sitting next to an infected person.

The reasoning you give for the flu vaccine is wrong. Each year they try to predict which strains will be prevelant by looking at other countries that typically get hit before us. Some years they're better at guessing than others which is one reason why the effectiveness varies. There is thought that even during a poor prediction year the vaccine may help prime the immune system for other strains, but that is not the primary reason behind getting it.

Dr. Fauci has been pretty up front with the information about this. He said in January it would take 12-18 months to get a vaccine and recently said he is confident we will have it by next January, given the developments up to this point.

I do not believe Syracuse would do this. I am sure Duke wouldn't, pretty sure Wake as well.

Now the SEC? That is a different ballgame.

The PR disaster that would happen if students were not allowed on campus but the players were and a few got COVID would be enormous. The optics are awful.

Schools have been insisting for years that players can't unionize because they are students, not employees. If schools do this, any pretense of for that goes out the window.

Only the SEC might be dumb enough/desperate enough to do this.

Our society really needs to work together in a way similar to what we had to do during WWII, if we're going to safely open things up again soon. I'm not sure our culture has the ability to be that selfless anymore.

Most people are selfish and most people think they’re smarter than they actually are. Bunch of narcissistic malcontents out there.

but schools are already doing it now for things other than sports.. you cant do research without the kids either and thats starting to ramp up in most schools.

kids play sports before and after the school yr starts all the time.

Make sure you tell Josh Jacobs the 1.6 percentage doesn't matter. See what he says.

Im sorry. Is your point here that we should throw caution and public health concerns to the wind over a fraction of a fraction of NFL-caliber athletes or simply that Josh Jacobs could kick my a$$?

Im sorry. Is your point here that we should throw caution and public health concerns to the wind over a fraction of a fraction of NFL-caliber athletes or simply that Josh Jacobs could kick my a$$?

Im sure if all the fans in attendance just sign a waiver, everything will be cool.

No. Just saying we should all remember the peoples who lives careers jobs business etc in all walks of life that are affected by this.

Somebody mentioned high school kids and sports whether they will be allowed to play sports seasons next year. Think about all the high school athletes who are Juniors this year who might loose out on scholarships especially those who that might be their only shot of being able to go to college. Those who come from poverty stricken backgrounds and other low income families.

No. Just saying we should all remember the peoples who lives careers jobs business etc in all walks of life that are affected by this.

Somebody mentioned high school kids and sports whether they will be allowed to play sports seasons next year. Think about all the high school athletes who are Juniors this year who might loose out on scholarships especially those who that might be their only shot of being able to go to college. Those who come from poverty stricken backgrounds and other low income families.
Yep that sucks ! There are countless ways people are affected and so many people who aren’t now will be soon in ways they didn’t see coming. This sucks no way to sugar coat it

Those who come from poverty stricken backgrounds and other low income families.

But from a big picture net-gain/net-loss perspective, the number of low income families who will suffer due to this virus continuing to spread is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of low income families who will not be enriched by their family member missing out on one year of pro football.

I have missed that many games in the last 40 years. I am 68. I have asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure and two years ago had an aortic anurysm and now have stents and implants to keep the blood flowing. Even if they come up with a vaccine, I am taking this season off. If I can't visit my grand children and daughter, why should I take my life in my hands and go to some stupid football game. Ask yourself, is it really worth it? Today was my wife and and my 67th day of lock down. It would be kind of nuts to just give up now.
I hear ya, and agree!

Last edited by a moderator:
No point in it. Same people still not getting as terrible this thing is I understand and feel terrible for the people and families affected. There are also people losing their business homes etc. In this point prospective players are having their careers and futures in jeopardy of going to the NFL. Think about the other side when u argue economy pro sports college sports in this case and the lives and futures that will be impacted.

They all play or not at all. So if the SEC or ACC BIG 12 etc one decides to play all teams in conference and division one play.

I will be there this fall if they let fans in I suspect many of you on this board will too. Your not gonna live rest your lifes in a bubble.

Your not gonna live rest your lifes in a bubble.
tenor.gif

They all play or not at all. So if the SEC or ACC BIG 12 etc one decides to play all teams in conference and division one play.

I will be there this fall if they let fans in I suspect many of you on this board will too. Your not gonna live rest your lifes in a bubble.
Just because you keep saying the same thing over and over and over doesn't make it any more likely to be true.

Just because you keep saying the same thing over and over and over doesn't make it any more likely to be true.
The deity has arrived. Mount Olympus quakes ! Wise one we trust your judgement on thy thread! We stand witness to your lock powers!

It is true that N95 masks are a lot more effective protection for the wearer than surgical masks.
But if everyone in a large gathering is wearing surgical masks, the infection rate is low and the staff is doing temp checks (I think that is a given), I feel safe.

The temperature check is an interesting point you bring up. What happens if "JOE FAN" goes and pays to park at SkyTop, gets to the Dome wearing his N95 mask, at the gate, they take his temperature and it's too high and they won't let him in the Dome. Does he get a ride back to SkyTop immediately? Does he get a refund on his parking when he returns at SkyTop so he can leave and go home? Because he has a high temperature does the bus he just rode on now have to be sanitized before it can be used to take the next batch of people up? Should they do the temperature checks at SkyTop itself before the fans even arrive at the Dome to know that everyone on the bus is "good to go" so when they arrive you can let them just in?

There are so many questions and so many "situations" like this that have to be thought of and a plan be in place for that I do not envy the people at the University who have to come up with a plan and multiple plans for this season IF they even let fans into games.

In fairness he's probably right. Once one goes down the rest tend to follow as they did in the spring.

The temperature check is an interesting point you bring up. What happens if "JOE FAN" goes and pays to park at SkyTop, gets to the Dome wearing his N95 mask, at the gate, they take his temperature and it's too high and they won't let him in the Dome. Does he get a ride back to SkyTop immediately? Does he get a refund on his parking when he returns at SkyTop so he can leave and go home? Because he has a high temperature does the bus he just rode on now have to be sanitized before it can be used to take the next batch of people up? Should they do the temperature checks at SkyTop itself before the fans even arrive at the Dome to know that everyone on the bus is "good to go" so when they arrive you can let them just in?

There are so many questions and so many "situations" like this that have to be thought of and a plan be in place for that I do not envy the people at the University who have to come up with a plan and multiple plans for this season IF they even let fans into games.

The temperature at the gate thing is never going to fly. Not enough money to pay someone to turn away people and the reactions that'll incur.

No point in it. Same people still not getting as terrible this thing is I understand and feel terrible for the people and families affected. There are also people losing their business homes etc. In this point prospective players are having their careers and futures in jeopardy of going to the NFL. Think about the other side when u argue economy pro sports college sports in this case and the lives and futures that will be impacted.
I think the point made above is that many more lives and futures will be impacted by the continued spread of the virus than by a few elite athletes missing a year in the NFL.

I think the point made above is that many more lives and futures will be impacted by the continued spread of the virus than by a few elite athletes missing a year in the NFL.

With the fans maybe. With the players - well these colleges have them practice on plastic fields in 100 plus degree weather loaded down with equipment. So the schools aren't exactly noble.

The temperature at the gate thing is never going to fly. Not enough money to pay someone to turn away people and the reactions that'll incur.

If having to have my temperature checked at the gate allows me to go in and enjoy SU Football or Basketball in person at the dome during these times. I'm willing to deal with it small inconvience. I'm sure many fans would feel the same.

BTW, When people buy their tickets have them sign a waiver saying admission subject to temperature check upon entering. Don't see the big deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom