Stanford Attendance | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Stanford Attendance

Tried the Chicken sandwich, the 1st week,
took one bite and threw it away, ate the fries. The 2nd game got a couple hot dogs, could have been cooked more. Think I will try the pizza this week.
At the GT game I took my first bite of the pizza and all the cheese slid off. Definitely agree with the sentiment of improving food quality. The soft pretzels are like hardtack.

I attended UTSA @ Texas this past weekend at Memorial Stadium in Austin. I mean this in the most respectful way, but our Athletic Department and Game Day Ops staff are NOTHING compared to UT.

I know Texas is a major state school with all the resources in the world at their disposal, but the entertainment value there, compared to the Dome is laughable.

Pregame entertainment included an entire street blocked off with a carnival and bunch of rides for kids.

Their commercial break entertainment consisted of Drone Shows, legitimate chants and songs led by the student section.

The AD Dept. really needs to figure out how they can make these games more entertaining for the people that aren’t remotely interested in being there for the football game. Have a 4 year old lead a disjointed “Let’s Go Orange” chant isn’t the answer

I attended UTSA @ Texas this past weekend at Memorial Stadium in Austin. I mean this in the most respectful way, but our Athletic Department and Game Day Ops staff are NOTHING compared to UT.

I know Texas is a major state school with all the resources in the world at their disposal, but the entertainment value there, compared to the Dome is laughable.

Pregame entertainment included an entire street blocked off with a carnival and bunch of rides for kids.

Their commercial break entertainment consisted of Drone Shows, legitimate chants and songs led by the student section.

The AD Dept. really needs to figure out how they can make these games more entertaining for the people that aren’t remotely interested in being there for the football game. Have a 4 year old lead a disjointed “Let’s Go Orange” chant isn’t the answer

This x100000

Our game day feels like a minor league baseball game. Which makes sense given the background of the people running things.

The AD Dept. really needs to figure out how they can make these games more entertaining for the people that aren’t remotely interested in being there for the football game.
Just speaking for myself here, but I would prefer that "people who aren't remotely interested in being there for a football game" just stay home. At the end of the day, it's a college football game, not Six Flags.

We simultaneously have posts about the price of a hot dog and a LaBatts verses the production quality of an event on par with a major music stadium act with an absolutely fanatical fan base...

We simultaneously have posts about the price of a hot dog and a LaBatts verses the production quality of an event on par with a major music stadium act with an absolutely fanatical fan base...
It's essential to the Syracuse football fan experience that we have Bruce Springsteen and Snoop Dogg performing in the Quad, a live petting zoo with exotic endangered animals, a full sized roller coaster in the Fine Mess lot, and an indoor ski slope like they have in Dubai. We don't fans who look like this getting bored.

Screenshot 2024-09-17 120136.jpg

It's essential to the Syracuse football fan experience that we have Bruce Springsteen and Snoop Dogg performing in the Quad, a live petting zoo with exotic endangered animals, a full sized roller coaster in the Fine Mess lot, and an indoor ski slope like they have in Dubai. We don't fans who look like this getting bored.

View attachment 244966

This is already happening at skytop! Look what you’re missing

Just speaking for myself here, but I would prefer that "people who aren't remotely interested in being there for a football game" just stay home. At the end of the day, it's a college football game, not Six Flags.

IMO with the reduction in capacity, there needs to be a shift from catering to the once a year fans to those people who consistently show up. Before, SU needed to find a way to bring in 10k extra people and keep them happy. Now they only need to bring in 2500. So it is ok for the draw to actually be college football.

There has been a clear shift in how game days are run the last few years. It is not like SU is lacking in effort. However, IMO it has been in the wrong direction. If I were not addicted to SU FB, I would stop going because of it. IMO it is that bad.

They have gone the minor league baseball route, not even the pro sport route (which still is a bad idea IMO). They went top down, this is what they do elsewhere so let's try it. When they should be doing something more organic. IMO they need to create more of a socceresque atmosphere, not corporate.

Use Otto, the cheerleaders, dance team, band, student section, etc. The last few years they have all been completely minimized during breaks in action. That is all what makes CFB unique. Instead anything that is organic from the crowd gets drowned out by music.

How much money do you all want to spend just to sell an additional 3-4,000 tickets? Because that's how far away we are from a sellout.

If people want to go to a carnival, then why don't they just go to a carnival?

As for the chants, that's never been an SU thing. Unfortunate, but over the years it just hasn't been something that our crowd gets into. At those big schools they've been doing them since their grandparents were fans or alums.

How much money do you all want to spend just to sell an additional 3-4,000 tickets? Because that's how far away we are from a sellout.

As for the chants, that's never been an SU thing. Unfortunate, but over the years it just hasn't been something that our crowd gets into. At those big schools they've been doing them since their grandparents were fans or alums.

It wasn't too long ago that we had several LGOs, Go SUs, Hey Songs (which I understand being banned), and (unfortunately) Waves during each game. Now we get one non organic LGO that is cut off by music after the 2nd time through. Heck at one point we used to have a contest for loudest section.

Edit

Also the band playing on the kickoffs. Like the Hey Song I totally get not using that beat, but in both cases SU and the Students/Band should have worked together to find a quality replacement to each. Those were both part of the atmosphere that were taken away.

Last edited:
If they’re trying to make this more appealing to bring kids, someone should tell them to have more than 1 ice cream stand in the whole building. ONE. I emailed SUAD about this situation; what the obstacles are etc. No reply.
technically two, but they're both in awful locations and the lines are always ridic at the times you'd expect folks to want it (second half). They should have prepared and stuff ready to sell and they'd make more money (ice cream sandwiches, etc.).

What SUAD is hoping for is this:

The team keeps playing well and winning. Crowds continue to grow.

The VT, UConn (yes even UConn) and Miami games are complete sellouts.

They probably wouldn't have been in previous years but cutting capacity by close to 15% makes a significant impact.

A signficant number of bandwagon fans cannot get in to watch the team. And are very unhappy.

A significant number of fans start believing in SU football and want to see them play. A significant number of fans buy season tickets for 2025. The $99 tickets sell out and all other season ticket sales rise in a big way.

I think any year the team has a good season, we are going to see a sellout or two. For a really good season, we might have 3 or 4. If we get to where we were in the 1990s, we might get to the point where you have to buy a season ticket to get into games.

We are not that far from this happening.
Great post, as I stated before being bad for so long, there are people who believe that is all we have ever been. 1 good season in 23 years isn't going to change that perspective.
Even if Fran has a great year this year, it's going to take another good couple of years after that to change people's thinking.

Great post, as I stated before being bad for so long, there are people who believe that is all we have ever been. 1 good season in 23 years isn't going to change that perspective.
Even if Fran has a great year this year, it's going to take another good couple of years after that to change people's thinking.
It would be awesome to get to the point where we start missing the 7K seats we lost in the renovation. Hopefully it happens in the next few years.

What SUAD is hoping for is this:

The team keeps playing well and winning. Crowds continue to grow.

The VT, UConn (yes even UConn) and Miami games are complete sellouts.

They probably wouldn't have been in previous years but cutting capacity by close to 15% makes a significant impact.

A signficant number of bandwagon fans cannot get in to watch the team. And are very unhappy.

A significant number of fans start believing in SU football and want to see them play. A significant number of fans buy season tickets for 2025. The $99 tickets sell out and all other season ticket sales rise in a big way.

I think any year the team has a good season, we are going to see a sellout or two. For a really good season, we might have 3 or 4. If we get to where we were in the 1990s, we might get to the point where you have to buy a season ticket to get into games.

We are not that far from this happening.
Totally agree that this might be the philosophy. If you keep the individual game tickets high, you almost force people in to season tickets. For the price of one game, you can buy the entire season which leads to other income (parking and concessions).

It does seem strange that traditions can't catch on at Syracuse. I'm sure some of it is the university, as some have said it's more like a minor league pro atmosphere. But at the same time, I've also read several posts on here over the years that talk about traditions at other schools and there's some comments about them being stupid. Even when we have an orange out, there are some complaints about not getting free shirts, when that type of thing doesn't seem that hard with other fanbases. To our fans credit, we do a good job eventually on the orange outs. Just seems strange to me. Sometimes I feel like if we had a road game at Iowa, some of us would boo the kids in the hospital for delaying the game with the wave. I'm just kidding about that :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom