Stanford Attendance | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Stanford Attendance

It does seem strange that traditions can't catch on at Syracuse. I'm sure some of it is the university, as some have said it's more like a minor league pro atmosphere. But at the same time, I've also read several posts on here over the years that talk about traditions at other schools and there's some comments about them being stupid. Even when we have an orange out, there are some complaints about not getting free shirts, when that type of thing doesn't seem that hard with other fanbases. To our fans credit, we do a good job eventually on the orange outs. Just seems strange to me. Sometimes I feel like if we had a road game at Iowa, some of us would boo the kids in the hospital for delaying the game with the wave. I'm just kidding about that :)

It's just never been a part of the culture. I don't know why.

I've told this story a zillion times, but the year is 2003, the gameday was Notre Dame. (we're approaching the date where people born this day can drink, sigh). At this point in the evening, we're at Kitty Hoynes. It's packed, everyone wearing orange or green. Irish singer does a slow rendition of the ND fight song.

When he's done, our fans start getting on him to do the SU fight song. He doesn't know the words. Asks if anyone in the bar knows it. No one does, everyone looking around at everyone else. I was on the other side of the bar, didn't really hear what was going on. But someone said he wants to find someone who knows the SU fight song.

So courageous on a dozen or more beers, I get up and sing it. All the fans suddenly start clapping along and cheer wildly when I'm done (my voice is amazing...ly terrible). Then I lead them into a frenzied LGO chant. They all knew how the song went but none knew the words.

Because it's not in our culture.

Last edited:
what REALLY doesn't help -- is next year's home schedule. P effin U

IMO with the reduction in capacity, there needs to be a shift from catering to the once a year fans to those people who consistently show up. Before, SU needed to find a way to bring in 10k extra people and keep them happy. Now they only need to bring in 2500. So it is ok for the draw to actually be college football.

There has been a clear shift in how game days are run the last few years. It is not like SU is lacking in effort. However, IMO it has been in the wrong direction. If I were not addicted to SU FB, I would stop going because of it. IMO it is that bad.

They have gone the minor league baseball route, not even the pro sport route (which still is a bad idea IMO). They went top down, this is what they do elsewhere so let's try it. When they should be doing something more organic. IMO they need to create more of a socceresque atmosphere, not corporate.

Use Otto, the cheerleaders, dance team, band, student section, etc. The last few years they have all been completely minimized during breaks in action. That is all what makes CFB unique. Instead anything that is organic from the crowd gets drowned out by music.
I agree the football is what it should be about. Most of these young fans now coming to the games won't end up being lifelong fans. That's because they won't develope an appreciation for the game itself. If parents are going to bring children teach them what the game is about, or just stay home.
My dad and uncle took me and made sure that we went to watch the game.

It does seem strange that traditions can't catch on at Syracuse. I'm sure some of it is the university, as some have said it's more like a minor league pro atmosphere. But at the same time, I've also read several posts on here over the years that talk about traditions at other schools and there's some comments about them being stupid. Even when we have an orange out, there are some complaints about not getting free shirts, when that type of thing doesn't seem that hard with other fanbases. To our fans credit, we do a good job eventually on the orange outs. Just seems strange to me. Sometimes I feel like if we had a road game at Iowa, some of us would boo the kids in the hospital for delaying the game with the wave. I'm just kidding about that :)

I agree that our fanbase is not very good at these things. But last game there was a LGO started during a TO and music killed it. That happens often.

Really chants should start via the Student Section anyway. Every other section is mainly random people. It isn't as organized or communal. The Student Section is setup to be like your Bleacher Creatures or Soccer Ultras. They just need to keep it clean. We can't have them saying Knock Knock, Who's There, Kyle McCord, Kyle McCord likes to attend the... dah dah dah dah.

Do they still have the fan council? There are 10 sections/levels within the Dome. It shouldn't be hard to have one STH from each section and work with them to make things better. Having one STH from A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, Club, and 44 will give a wide range of view points. And that gives more specific feedback than those poorly constructed surveys they currently send.

I agree that our fanbase is not very good at these things. But last game there was a LGO started during a TO and music killed it. That happens often.

Really chants should start via the Student Section anyway. Every other section is mainly random people. It isn't as organized or communal. The Student Section is setup to be like your Bleacher Creatures or Soccer Ultras. They just need to keep it clean. We can't have them saying Knock Knock, Who's There, Kyle McCord, Kyle McCord likes to attend the... dah dah dah dah.

Do they still have the fan council? There are 10 sections/levels within the Dome. It shouldn't be hard to have one STH from each section and work with them to make things better. Having one STH from A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, Club, and 44 will give a wide range of view points. And that gives more specific feedback than those poorly constructed surveys they currently send.
You bring up a lot of really good points. As I mentioned, some of it is definitely things the university can do better.

Look I showed one of the reasons, and I've been a fan since the 50's. And it surprised me. From the bowl game in 2001 to the 9th game of 2018 we weren't ever in either of the Polls in any week.
My friend gave me a dislike, but that shows how bad we had been.
That's why the fans don't come all the time. If we get good again the fans will come. One good year in 23 you have young people who don't remember when we were good.
It's not the fans fault, the program has been mediocre for a long time.
I expect dislikes, but it astonished me to see that.
I will say one thing… in decades past, it would take years for a program to change public perception. Teams would have to string together several good to very good seasons before the national CFB fan base would credit them with a turnaround.

Today, in the era of instant publicity and social media, people are more likely to believe a team is for real after just one or two seasons. People have shorter memories now.

I attended UTSA @ Texas this past weekend at Memorial Stadium in Austin. I mean this in the most respectful way, but our Athletic Department and Game Day Ops staff are NOTHING compared to UT.

I know Texas is a major state school with all the resources in the world at their disposal, but the entertainment value there, compared to the Dome is laughable.

Pregame entertainment included an entire street blocked off with a carnival and bunch of rides for kids.

Their commercial break entertainment consisted of Drone Shows, legitimate chants and songs led by the student section.

The AD Dept. really needs to figure out how they can make these games more entertaining for the people that aren’t remotely interested in being there for the football game. Have a 4 year old lead a disjointed “Let’s Go Orange” chant isn’t the answer
No they don't. Its a football game not the fair. I think they do a great job and is plenty entertaining as it is

No they don't. It’s a football game not the fair. I think they do a great job and is plenty entertaining as it is
Perfect, clearly everyone feels the same way that’s why no one shows up.

Listen, I’m a massive sports guy. I don’t give a about the entertainment, but a lot of times families buying tickets do. They want their kid to sit still and be engaged. I don’t think the AD dept. does a good job with that stuff.

Perfect, clearly everyone feels the same way that’s why no one shows up.

Listen, I’m a massive sports guy. I don’t give a about the entertainment, but a lot of times families buying tickets do. They want their kid to sit still and be engaged. I don’t think the AD dept. does a good job with that stuff.

Honestly these games last forever. Little ones and college football don't go all that great.

It's just never been a part of the culture. I don't know why.

I've told this story a zillion years, but the year is 2003, the gameday was Notre Dame. (we're approaching the date where people born this day can drink, sigh). At this point in the evening, we're at Kitty Hoynes. It's packed, everyone wearing orange or green. Irish singer does a slow rendition of the ND fight song.

When he's done, our fans start getting on him to do the SU fight song. He doesn't know the words. Asks if anyone in the bar knows it. No one does, everyone looking around at everyone else. I was on the other side of the bar, didn't really hear what was going on. But someone said he wants to find someone who knows the SU fight song.

So courageous on a dozen or more beers, I get up and sing it. All the fans suddenly start clapping along and cheer wildly when I'm done (my voice is amazing...ly terrible). Then I lead them into a frenzied LGO chant. They all knew how the song went but none knew the words.

Because it's not in our culture.
The SU Fight Song is the ringtone on my cellphone. If someone I'm with wants to hear it I tell them to call me. Every SU football fan should have it as their ringtone.

I just looked at next years schedule. That road slate is malpractice horrible

I would not be surprised if things are changed. Army going to the AAC might not happen. I bet the Notre Dame ACC games get changed with the addition of the 3 new schools. So if instead of Army we get an FCS and instead of at Notre Dame we have a home G5, the overall schedule is manageable. Still way too hard away, but we could easily win all 7 at home.

How much money do you all want to spend just to sell an additional 3-4,000 tickets? Because that's how far away we are from a sellout.

If people want to go to a carnival, then why don't they just go to a carnival?

As for the chants, that's never been an SU thing. Unfortunate, but over the years it just hasn't been something that our crowd gets into. At those big schools they've been doing them since their grandparents were fans or alums.
I’ll never forget going to a few uva games the year they won the championship how much the fans get into when their chants start. It’s like a big cult lol.

I would not be surprised if things are changed. Army going to the AAC might not happen. I bet the Notre Dame ACC games get changed with the addition of the 3 new schools. So if instead of Army we get an FCS and instead of at Notre Dame we have a home G5, the overall schedule is manageable. Still way too hard away, but we could easily win all 7 at home.
Looks like Colgate is already on the schedule so no other FCS game

RIT hockey does a version of the Hey song. Can’t remember exactly how it goes but it’s a little more kid friendly than the one Syracuse had.

Yikes, that's bad. And 2026...only 5 home games? Big yikes

Yeah but remember (2025 home as well) we're going to lose @ Army so hopefully in 2026 we replace with a home game.

Again the schedule is just 1 of... 50? things you account for as an AD for attendance. Theres a reason Holy Cross is going to be our 2nd highest if not highest (season depending) attended game this year and it has 0% to do with opponent lol

Traditions? You guys really like the FSU fans doing a war chant and chopping motion? How Fing lame is that?

Imagine being an SU fan within a couple hours drive and not being at this game?!

44 years to the day of the first game in the Dome.

First time ever playing Stanford.

Possibly the best throwing QB to ever wear orange.

Breaking top 25 on the line.

This is an event.
My son's team plays @Whitesboro 6:30. It's his first year of Varsity. He's bottom of the depth chart. He hasn't played snap all season. I'm still not missing his game and potentially his first every varsity snap. I'm that fan. I won't be at the game. It's a bummer but I've seen my share of amazing times in the dome, he only plays Varsity for 2 years and then he's gone. No-brainer. Have fun all. Yell a little extra for me!

PS. I didn't get to go to GT either.

I had heard (somewhere) that ND's rotating schedules will be changed to incorporate the 3 new teams, but that it won't impact the 2025 season.

I attended UTSA @ Texas this past weekend at Memorial Stadium in Austin. I mean this in the most respectful way, but our Athletic Department and Game Day Ops staff are NOTHING compared to UT.

I know Texas is a major state school with all the resources in the world at their disposal, but the entertainment value there, compared to the Dome is laughable.

Pregame entertainment included an entire street blocked off with a carnival and bunch of rides for kids.

Their commercial break entertainment consisted of Drone Shows, legitimate chants and songs led by the student section.

The AD Dept. really needs to figure out how they can make these games more entertaining for the people that aren’t remotely interested in being there for the football game. Have a 4 year old lead a disjointed “Let’s Go Orange” chant isn’t the answer
A story about SU and Texas...

When I was at SU I was in the Sour Sitrus Society pep band. The best "Syracuse" crowd I ever played for was at our game against Arkansas in the '94 NCAA Tournament. The Moten TO game.

That game was played in Austin. And let me tell you... in 1994 Longhorn fans absolutely, completely and totally HATED Arkansas. The Razorbacks abandoning the SWC had a lot to do with that.

The loudest "Let's Go Orange" chants I ever heard were Texas fans rooting for SU in that game. I was conducting the band that day and people were asking me what the lyrics to the fight song were, so they could sing along.

Which is all to say that SU fans, as much as I love 'em, are terrible when it comes to anything participatory. They don't chant, they don't sing, they don't dance. Best you can get them to do is go nuts for a t-shirt toss.

So yeah, if Snoop Dogg himself guest hosted the in game activities at the Dome I still think most SU fans would sit on their hands. The too-cool-for-school attitude is deeply ingrained.

A story about SU and Texas...

When I was at SU I was in the Sour Sitrus Society pep band. The best "Syracuse" crowd I ever played for was at our game against Arkansas in the '94 NCAA Tournament. The Moten TO game.

That game was played in Austin. And let me tell you... in 1994 Longhorn fans absolutely, completely and totally HATED Arkansas. The Razorbacks abandoning the SWC had a lot to do with that.

The loudest "Let's Go Orange" chants I ever heard were Texas fans rooting for SU in that game. I was conducting the band that day and people were asking me what the lyrics to the fight song were, so they could sing along.

Which is all to say that SU fans, as much as I love 'em, are terrible when it comes to anything participatory. They don't chant, they don't sing, they don't dance. Best you can get them to do is go nuts for a t-shirt toss.

So yeah, if Snoop Dogg himself guest hosted the in game activities at the Dome I still think most SU fans would sit on their hands. The too-cool-for-school attitude is deeply ingrained.
Agree, I think SU fans don't like to be told what to do and do what they want to do.

The 'Hey' song was so popular only because there were swear words in it and saying them loudly made a lot of us happy.

The best way to get SU fans to do something is to ban it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom