Stanford Attendance | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Stanford Attendance

Not with kids. It's not that Dome concessions are so out of line with prices at other arenas - they're not.

It's just that the quality of the food is really awful. It could be a lot better and still only be on par with McDonalds or Burger King.

BINGO

Traditions? You guys really like the FSU fans doing a war chant and chopping motion? How Fing lame is that?

I used to love hearing it from 60,000 people. When they were great under Bowden, and the Seminole rode out on his horse and threw that damn spear with the feathers on it, it made the hair stand up on the back of my neck every time. I thought it was cool as hell.

Maybe. Or its that SU fans are lame. They show up, which is clearly the most important thing. But they're also lame.

I mean at the 2013 Final Four we were outclassed by the Wichita State fans. It was embarrassing.

Yeah, and in 2003 we drank the city of New Orleans DRY. That is a freaking unbelievable feat.

There’s a lot to digest in this thread. Generally speaking, the best traditions seem to evolve organically. Trying to force a chant on a video board is not likely to spark a tradition.

As dumb as it may sound, not replacing the Dome Ranger was probably a missed opportunity. Dennis Brogan was allowed to run around like a real life Mayhem man. It may have fizzled over time, but he was a character who got the crowd going organically at the right time. That uniform could have been passed down….but for lawyers, liability etc…

Watching some imbecile try to start the wave while we were in the offensive huddle during a time out just made me facepalm.

I actually have noticed better music, a reduction in ads and a bit more cohesive gameday production. But you can still times where the advertising arm has muscled its way into the experience awkwardly.

It’s really difficult to convince the advertising department that less is more. I once worked in a radio station that was not doing great in the ratings, and management came in and the first thing they did was jack up advertising prices by 400%, but reduce the number of ads by 75%. The net result was a station that played more music and advertisers that were happy because their ads weren’t booked and around five other ads at once. Their product stood out. I think that type of concept could be into the Gameday experience. Less is more, let the organic moments resonate rather than having a planned advertisement that has to run at that exact moment crush an organic exciting moment.

You really need a television type producer and Director to be the on hands at the moment people in charge. And sometimes you have to tell an advertiser your ad didn’t run when it was supposed to because the Gameday atmosphere is the priority.

Ultimately, the net result should be happier fans… Which turned into more fans… Which then makes the advertisements more valuable… And the advertiser ultimately happier.

There’s a lot to digest in this thread. Generally speaking, the best traditions seem to evolve organically. Trying to force a chant on a video board is not likely to spark a tradition.

As dumb as it may sound, not replacing the Dome Ranger was probably a missed opportunity. Dennis Brogan was allowed to run around like a real life Mayhem man. It may have fizzled over time, but he was a character who got the crowd going organically at the right time. That uniform could have been passed down….but for lawyers, liability etc…

Watching some imbecile try to start the wave while we were in the offensive huddle during a time out just made me facepalm.

I actually have noticed better music, a reduction in ads and a bit more cohesive gameday production. But you can still times where the advertising arm has muscled its way into the experience awkwardly.

It’s really difficult to convince the advertising department that less is more. I once worked in a radio station that was not doing great in the ratings, and management came in and the first thing they did was jack up advertising prices by 400%, but reduce the number of ads by 75%. The net result was a station that played more music and advertisers that were happy because their ads weren’t booked and around five other ads at once. Their product stood out. I think that type of concept could be into the Gameday experience. Less is more, let the organic moments resonate rather than having a planned advertisement that has to run at that exact moment crush an organic exciting moment.

You really need a television type producer and Director to be the on hands at the moment people in charge. And sometimes you have to tell an advertiser your ad didn’t run when it was supposed to because the Gameday atmosphere is the priority.

Ultimately, the net result should be happier fans… Which turned into more fans… Which then makes the advertisements more valuable… And the advertiser ultimately happier.
Whether you call it an adage or an idiom, ‘less is more‘ is a lesson SU needs to re-learn. They're cheapening their own brand with too many junky ads and time-consuming (commercially sponsored) skits where the award is $25. Why bother? Other than an occasional dance-cam, people are tuning out. The Toyota race is getting old. Otto and other traditional SU symbols and themes have been crowded out. The whole time-out fan experience needs a professional upgrade on par with the excellent improvements they’ve made to the seats and physical spaces.

Last edited:
OK, cancel Homecoming, forget giving tickets to local schools, Boy Scouts, etc.
My post was more directed towards emo adults than children. I’m all for having kid-friendly activities in the Quad before games.

I think he means the pro sports in general have no soul. At least that's my opinion.
Yeah, my point is that NFL in stadium is designed to be corporate and bland and indistinguishable from one venue to the next. And yet Bills fans sing and chant like a college crowd. It was a compliment, and that pains me.

Cc: BigNastyJon StLouisCuse

Terrific post. Good insight.

i am actually surprised no ones mentioned (or at least i chose not to read it so ill be first) the savannah bananas

a TON of differences, obviously. Though it's live sport at a venue. They have tried a lot and failed a bunch, and now they're selling out like crazy wherever they go.

I am not saying Kyle McCord needs to be signing "heeeeeey heyyyyy babyyyyy ahhh ohhhh"

but maybe? ;)

This, all of this.

It takes 15 mins to go down stairs to get some of the concessions that are not available upstairs

Absolutely unacceptable
I thought John would at least provide an explanation but no reply.

Not sure this one is all on SU

Not having Ephesus do the lighting was and will always be a major setback
Local successful corps being bought out by large conglomerates makes the original owners rich, but sure hurts locally. It happens so often.

Not with kids. It's not that Dome concessions are so out of line with prices at other arenas - they're not.

It's just that the quality of the food is really awful. It could be a lot better and still only be on par with McDonalds or Burger King.
Have seasons in section 303. Saw someone with tenders during the first game and couldn’t find them. Again saw someone with tenders the 2nd game and tried to find them but couldn’t anywhere close. Finally asked someone and he said they got them the base level and it took my daughter like 20 minutes to find them. Avoid the pretzels , dry as hell just awful. food Not good for the prices they charge. Don’t mind paying for good stuff but yikes

It doesn’t take a genius. Put on something intense or catchy ( How about enter sandman or Jump ) Get the student body heavily involved and there it is , atmosphere created. If SU wants me to help plan I’m here . It will take me about an hour .

I attended UTSA @ Texas this past weekend at Memorial Stadium in Austin. I mean this in the most respectful way, but our Athletic Department and Game Day Ops staff are NOTHING compared to UT.

I know Texas is a major state school with all the resources in the world at their disposal, but the entertainment value there, compared to the Dome is laughable.

Pregame entertainment included an entire street blocked off with a carnival and bunch of rides for kids.

Their commercial break entertainment consisted of Drone Shows, legitimate chants and songs led by the student section.

The AD Dept. really needs to figure out how they can make these games more entertaining for the people that aren’t remotely interested in being there for the football game. Have a 4 year old lead a disjointed “Let’s Go Orange” chant isn’t the answer
Under Fran, we’ll get there. He seen big-time programs up close and knows how they operate. It may not manifest itself this year, but it will in the years to come.
All IMHO.

A win against Ga. tech wasn’t really going to move things the way people thought it would. In time, things will change for sure.

I think a large part of the in-game experience problem is the bolded part above. I'm not sure who runs the video boards, music, etc., but in my experience at other D1 institutions it is overseen by the marketing department.

At NFL venues, there are probably 30 people working in a production room just focused on the game-day experience, and it shows. My guess is at SU it's 2-3 at most, and a bunch of interns/students. Syracuse doesn't have an NFL team, doesn't have a MLB team, a NHL team, or a NBA team. There are no freelancers who do those games that can help out at SU on off nights. There's not a big pool of people who do this at a high level for a living. While you'd think SU has a great pool to draw from in terms of students -- and they probably do... they're still just that. Students. And they don't move the needle much.

This is an area within intercollegiate athletics that has a lot of turnover due to low pay and/or the hours involved. A lot of nights and weekends to run boards/marketing duties at soccers, field hockey, volleyball, not to mention football, men's basketball, and women's basketball, lacrosses, ice hockey. All of these sports want to feel like a high D1 team, and it isn't as simple as just show up and play music.

Right now there are 3 people who are running the marketing department in SU's athletic department. You get what you staff for, ultimately. There are other non-P5 schools -- and not very good ones, at that -- that have more full-time people in marketing than SU.

A win against Ga. tech wasn’t really going to move things the way people thought it would. In time, things will change for sure.
Personally I would rather have 37 or 38,000 real football fans come every week. If you need entertainment besides watching the game, stay home and watch on TV. If you come to the game be involved, and don't do stupid things like yelling go orange when we have the ball.
Get loud when the other team has the ball. Cheer loudly when we make a great play.

Personally I would rather have 37 or 38,000 real football fans come every week. If you need entertainment besides watching the game, stay home and watch on TV. If you come to the game be involved, and don't do stupid things like yelling go orange when we have the ball.
Get loud when the other team has the ball. Cheer loudly when we make a great play.
Wait till Holy Cross. Parents weekend games are interesting

Could not agree with this more. Look around at people on their phones that don’t even know what the score is. The only time they come to life is (as you said) to chant “Let’s go orange” when we have the ball, or make noise because the Jumbotron told them to. Eric15 alluded to this as well. I would rather have 35,000 football fans who are into the game itself than 42,000 with “casuals” who need entertainment other than the football game. I don’t go to concerts and then want to toss a football around between songs because I’m bored.

Our attendance challenges are not unique. My kids went to middling SEC and Big Ten schools and my wife went to a big east school . And one thing they all have in common, whether it’s basketball or football, they all want to go to games when their teams are good and when they’re not, they’re not too interested.

As recently as 10 years ago, there would always be a few games you could not get on TV. That drove sales. Those would be the games I was most likely to go to . Now you get them all. To consistently sell out we need people coming from NYC, Connecticut, Boston, New Jersey, etc. they will come if we win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom