Stanford Attendance | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Stanford Attendance

About the "people have kids and can't make the games" thing... This is where the size of the CNY population and near-by alumni base really harms us.

It's not like people in South Carolina or Florida or Iowa don't have kids who play soccer on Saturdays. But the size of the fan base that might buy tickets is much larger than SU's. So for every parent who can't make a game, there's another (if not 2 others) who can.

If SU was, say, 3 hours from NYC and Boston, instead of 5, then we'd get a lot more alumni attendance. Because 3 hours is about the outer edge of drive time that most people will do in the same day. I'd have never given up my seasons if I could leave at 8am for a noon game and be home by 7pm that same day. 5 hours requires an overnight stay, and that's too much for a lot of folks with kids, jobs, etc.

Bottom line: the biggest factors that impact SU football attendance is (1) team performance, and (2) small-ish size of the fan base.

I personally can't have gluten anymore (for genuine health reasons, not a millennial hipster thing) and I really wish the Dome had just a couple gluten-free options. I end up packing a couple of these in my pocket to get me through the game.

View attachment 244999
Is there gluten in dome cheese? I would just mainline that.

It does seem strange that traditions can't catch on at Syracuse. I'm sure some of it is the university, as some have said it's more like a minor league pro atmosphere. But at the same time, I've also read several posts on here over the years that talk about traditions at other schools and there's some comments about them being stupid. Even when we have an orange out, there are some complaints about not getting free shirts, when that type of thing doesn't seem that hard with other fanbases. To our fans credit, we do a good job eventually on the orange outs. Just seems strange to me. Sometimes I feel like if we had a road game at Iowa, some of us would boo the kids in the hospital for delaying the game with the wave. I'm just kidding about that :)
Traditions from when I was a student: cannon firing after a score, card stunts (UCLA sign below), fraternity, sorority, and dorm floor bloc seating and hanging their signs, the Saltine Warrior, drinking some "antifreeze" to keep from freezing to death in Archbold, moms wearing corsages during Family Weekend game, Freshmen wearing their class beanies.

Attachments

• College Card Stunts-UCLA.jpg
    College Card Stunts-UCLA.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 17
We did show a controversial call in the Ohio or GT game, I can't remember which one. So maybe the powers that be are slowly changing their thought process on this.

The targeting call that wasn’t. Whole building was stunned lol

How long are you planning to be in the rest room? Stage fright at the troughs means you might be waiting in line I suppose...
Trough freight.. it effects hundreds of Orange fans each year

We have traditions:

We drink to be excess, we take liberties with our party guests, and we indulge in mood altering sedatives.

What am I missing?

NOT having Syracuse company Ephesus do our lighting was the dumbest move possible. They are the top dog with stadium lighting.
They 1000% are not. Not a coincidence that Ephesus tried throwing most of their product in for free….and still didn’t win.

Musco is the leader is sports lighting…hands down. I’ve watched more Ephesus product being torn out than I have seen installed.

I personally can't have gluten anymore (for genuine health reasons, not a millennial hipster thing) and I really wish the Dome had just a couple gluten-free options. I end up packing a couple of these in my pocket to get me through the game.

View attachment 244999

You probably already know this but just in case...

GLUTEN FRIENDLY OPTIONS*​

Gluten-Free-300x225.png
  • Perry’s Ice Cream (Sections 113, 119, and 128)
  • Nacho Grande (Throughout the building)
  • Salad Variety (Sections 103 and 317)
  • Popcorn (throughout the building)
  • Items with bread can be requested to be prepared without it (Cheeseburgers, Hofmann Hot Dog, or Sausage Sub)
*Items may be prepared around gluten product

You probably already know this but just in case...

GLUTEN FRIENDLY OPTIONS*​

Gluten-Free-300x225.png
  • Perry’s Ice Cream (Sections 113, 119, and 128)
  • Nacho Grande (Throughout the building)
  • Salad Variety (Sections 103 and 317)
  • Popcorn (throughout the building)
  • Items with bread can be requested to be prepared without it (Cheeseburgers, Hofmann Hot Dog, or Sausage Sub)
*Items may be prepared around gluten product
NACHOS GRANDE DOUBLE CHEESE EXTRA JALAPENOS FOR THE WIN.

They 1000% are not. Not a coincidence that Ephesus tried throwing most of their product in for free….and still didn’t win.

Musco is the leader is sports lighting…hands down. I’ve watched more Ephesus product being torn out than I have seen installed.
Yeah, most new buildings are going Musco if they have the budget.

Surprised this is a complaint people have currently.

View attachment 244999

One of my good friends has celiac's (sp?) and it wrecks him if he gets dosed so I feel for you. Even with GF offerings I wouldn't trust anything not pre packed due to cross contamination or presumed lack of emphasis on it in food handling. My BIL has shell fish allergy and we pretty much avoid all places with shrimp even on the menu

I get 5G with both my phones. Very fast. One is on the Verizon network and one on AT&T. The AT&T didn't get 5G at the dome until the home opener for football this year.

Is your carrier TMobile? Do you have an old phone not capable of 5G?

Also found the new wifi very fast. Nice that you don't have to sign in any longer. I think it is called Orange Hotspot. Something like that.

Have you connected to that? I know you have security concerns about wifi.

My friend can't connect to the new wifi network. Can't even see it. But he has an Android and it is messed up. No internet access from cellular period.
By the way there is a huge scam coming around again right now on flights where people are spoofing the wifi name and capturing data. you are kind stuck with options on some flights and if you dont pay attention.

no different at the dome. easy to create a hot spot called Orange hotspot, require no login and poof you get all the user info from the phone. I would hope the dome has software set up to watch for that, but I do trust they do?

Yup, I mean the local AA baseball team in Binghamton has TVs at the concession stands and it takes 5 mins at most to go to the stands and back.

Beyond me why Syracuse doesn’t have this.

Not speaking to the TVs, but our concourse design is really poor. I'm sure there is more walking room in a minor league baseball stadium than at the Dome.

Not speaking to the TVs, but our concourse design is really poor. I'm sure there is more walking room in a minor league baseball stadium than at the Dome.
Unfortunately the footprint of the Dome being on campus makes everything super super narrow. Idk how they can create more space for concessions lines that don't block people walking around. Very tough.

I note this every year when attendance comes up but there's a large portion of general sports fans happy to watch and root for SU but they don't even consider coming to a game. It's not about cost or parking or food, they just don't consider it an option.

Well, cost of one-off tickets is not that big a deal breaker, unless you've got a big group.
But don't underestimate lack of parking and terrible food.
There are reasons people don't come if they follow the team on TV.
If they're watching on TV, they're not indifferent. They just think it's not worth the effort.

Unfortunately the footprint of the Dome being on campus makes everything super super narrow. Idk how they can create more space for concessions lines that don't block people walking around. Very tough.

I get that, but I also recall the original plans for expanding the building footprint, which I guess were given up as costing too much money. If they had connected to the Arch (Is that what it's called?), then there could have been a food court type of set up somewhere where the buildings would have connected.

the NCAA has no rule on this. maybe the ACC frowns on it.
The ACC does not frown on it. The ACC has no position on it. That's why every school in the conference except the one in CNY has consistently shown controversial calls. But as I said above, the worm may be turning because they showed the controversial targeting call a couple weeks ago.

It's a function of the footprint they had to work with.

All things considered, the people that designed the dome did a heck of a job.

Seriously, how many people decide whether to attend or not, a sporting event, based on its food ((for 2 (basketball) to 3 and a half hours(football))? Really? Particularly football that has tailgates, the quad, local restaurants etc to get food beforehand. I would think it would be more of an issue for the venue itself whether they think they are getting sufficient revenue from their concessions - not whether they are offering a higher level culinary fan experience to a sporting event. If their pretzels stink, sales revenue results will make that apparent and like the nachos they will change back or get a new supplier - it’s much more their loss than the fan’s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom