Stanford Attendance | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Stanford Attendance

Little early, but was just told they are expecting a big crowd for Holy Cross. I contacted my rep to try to get 2 near where I'm seated and there's basically nothing, and what's out there are priced-up resales. She said its because of this weird combination of SU doing a lot of local promotions (youth sports day) for what would otherwise be a meh game, parent's weekend, and the 2-0 start all hitting together.

Little early, but was just told they are expecting a big crowd for Holy Cross. I contacted my rep to try to get 2 near where I'm seated and there's basically nothing, and what's out there are priced-up resales. She said its because of this weird combination of SU doing a lot of local promotions (youth sports day) for what would otherwise be a meh game, parent's weekend, and the 2-0 start all hitting together.
This has got me thinking, if our program really does take off is it likely that tickets will become hard to come by? How was it in the 90s?

Glad we are STH and don't need to worry about that. I am curious though.

This has got me thinking, if our program really does take off is it likely that tickets will become hard to come by? How was it in the 90s?

There were games under 40k back then. Very few though.

I don’t think games like Ohio, Holy Cross, or UConn would sell out without being a Parents weekend or a Home coming.

It would never be something like trying to get into a big SEC game down south. Fb just is not religion in the northeast. Even in the heydays, sure there were big games everyone wanted a ticket, but there were always a couple games a year at 40-42k. There were always games ppl could get into.

It would never be something like trying to get into a big SEC game down south. Fb just is not religion in the northeast. Even in the heydays, sure there were big games everyone wanted a ticket, but there were always a couple games a year at 40-42k. There were always games ppl could get into.
Of course, with the new capacity at just under 43, it could get intersting

Attendance was strong but tickets were always available in the 90s. I think we sold out 1 game? Maybe 2? And that was a last minute thing.

However, cutting capacity by nearly 7K seats will definitely tighten things up should we get really good.

"Hard to come by" is all relative though. You can always get into any game, in any venue, it just depends on what you're willing to pay.

Attendance was strong but tickets were always available in the 90s. I think we sold out 1 game? Maybe 2? And that was a last minute thing.

However, cutting capacity by nearly 7K seats will definitely tighten things up should we get really good.

"Hard to come by" is all relative though. You can always get into any game, in any venue, it just depends on what you're willing to pay.
There were multiple “virtual sell outs “. I have been told they were not called sell outs because of singles and in some cases tickets returned by opponent. I can assure you the place iwas often jam packed, as in I could not see an empty seat anywhere.

There were multiple “virtual sell outs “. I have been told they were not called sell outs because of singles and in some cases tickets returned by opponent. I can assure you the place iwas often jam packed, as in I could not see an empty seat anywhere.
That first game had to be almost completely full when the Dome opened, all I remember is watching Joe get that kickoff and next thing he was in the Miami of Ohio end zone. The other thing is being soaking wet because of the heat and no air conditioning.

Well, they requested the most tickets from Syracuse Univ ever for their visiting fans.

In fact, they asked for the full allotment per the ACC contract.

To give you context, no other ACC school has EVER requested the full allotment.

Did Stanford move them all?? I’m not sure. This actually caused some issues for the reseating because Syracuse had to give up tickets that they simply aren’t used to doing because it never happens.

As I said, did Stanford move them all? Not sure but we will find out next Friday
I’d assume there is a significant east coast alum presence.

Well, they requested the most tickets from Syracuse Univ ever for their visiting fans.

In fact, they asked for the full allotment per the ACC contract.

To give you context, no other ACC school has EVER requested the full allotment.

Did Stanford move them all?? I’m not sure. This actually caused some issues for the reseating because Syracuse had to give up tickets that they simply aren’t used to doing because it never happens.

As I said, did Stanford move them all? Not sure but we will find out next Friday
Good thing you qualified ACC. The weekend The Express opened PSU had half the building. Program low point.

Tickets in the nosebleeds for UGA vs Tenn Tech this past weekend were going for several hundred $. To see a good SEC game, you have to sell one of you kidneys. I had connections back in the late 90s shortly after I moved to Georgia where I could buy a student ticket and get in. They are super strict about that now plus I am now bald, grey and sadly can't pass for a student anymore.

That first game had to be almost completely full when the Dome opened, all I remember is watching Joe get that kickoff and next thing he was in the Miami of Ohio end zone. The other thing is being soaking wet because of the heat and no air conditioning.
That was the largest Dome crowd ever. Attendance was 50,564. That place was like a freakin oven for that game. I remember getting paper towels from the bathroom and wetting them to put on my head on neck. (No I didn’t wet them from the pee trough.)

They apparently got a big response for parents weekend this year. They were looking at a good crowd even before the win.

Yeah, maybe ever for an non-ND ACC team. Tennessee, LSU, Penn State, ND. All 4 had monster sized crowds in the Dome.

If they didn't ask for a larger allotment, it's because they either didn't know they could, or because they just knew their fans would do it on their own.

By the way, on TV, it looked like Georgia Tech had about 27 fans in the Dome.

I don’t know if this is still the case, but # of tickets for the visiting team used to be part of nonconference contracts. 5000 was “standard” but a lot less was agreed upon often. I think we only got 2000 tickets to Michigan in ‘98 - I know I needed to hit up a Michigan season ticket holder to get tickets to that game because we sold out our allotment fast. I suspect teams didn’t ask for more - especially for nonconference games - because they would have had to have agreed to give us more tickets in the initial contract negotiations.

Lots of Tennessee fans bought season tickets and were dumping the other games (I think eBay was the most common spot in 1998 for that). Anyone that wanted to get tickets to other games that year should have been paying face value or less, because the flood of tickets into the secondary market by Tennessee fans killed the resale market for the whole year.

Yeah, can't think of any major D1 players coming out of my alma mater (West Genesee). They had a kid go to Ohio University last year I think. You occasionally get a kid, outside of CBA, but it is not very often.
There have been many kids outside of cba that have gone D1. Cba has been pretty good the last 15-20 yrs but before that they were a joke. Then they figured they could recruit which of course has pulled some of the better kids out of their town HS team.

I don’t know if this is still the case, but # of tickets for the visiting team used to be part of nonconference contracts. 5000 was “standard” but a lot less was agreed upon often. I think we only got 2000 tickets to Michigan in ‘98 - I know I needed to hit up a Michigan season ticket holder to get tickets to that game because we sold out our allotment fast. I suspect teams didn’t ask for more - especially for nonconference games - because they would have had to have agreed to give us more tickets in the initial contract negotiations.

Lots of Tennessee fans bought season tickets and were dumping the other games (I think eBay was the most common spot in 1998 for that). Anyone that wanted to get tickets to other games that year should have been paying face value or less, because the flood of tickets into the secondary market by Tennessee fans killed the resale market for the whole year.

Clemson fans do this almost every time they come to the Dome because the price of our seasons are so cheap

While you were at the game? ;)
Looks like it. Was this before or after? ;-)

iufanjpg.jpg

There were games that had 47K and 48K for sure. I had season tickets back then and was at most every game that decade.

Clemson fans do this almost every time they come to the Dome because the price of our seasons are so cheap

Honestly Clemson fans could buy upper level end zone seats, sell the other games and pay less than if they bought through Clemson - so that’s not surprising.

I think people are conflating how many tickets a school requests (which was your original context) with how many fans they bring. They are two very different things. I could see the Stanford administration - knowing they have a lot of NYC alumni and having no experience with Syracuse for football - playing it safe and requesting the full contractual allotment just to make sure they had enough. The traditional ACC schools had enough info on how fans historically travelled (and bought from them) to other east coast schools that they didn’t request the full possible allotment when we joined the ACC.

I don’t know for sure, but I think schools are slightly less concerned about getting tickets allotted than they were 25 years ago - fans have enough other legal options now that getting tickets through their schools isn’t as attractive as it was in the 80s and 90s. I feel like Syracuse made a bigger deal out of the ability to get road tickets then compared to now - but that might just be because it was something I was interested in then and wouldn’t even consider now (except for rare cases). The Stanford game might have been a weird outlier against the overall trend in this regard.

That was the largest Dome crowd ever. Attendance was 50,564. That place was like a freakin oven for that game. I remember getting paper towels from the bathroom and wetting them to put on my head on neck. (No I didn’t wet them from the pee trough.)
How many of you have an I Opened the Dome shirt??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom