Stanford Attendance | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Stanford Attendance

That first game had to be almost completely full when the Dome opened, all I remember is watching Joe get that kickoff and next thing he was in the Miami of Ohio end zone. The other thing is being soaking wet because of the heat and no air conditioning.
The first game was sell out. They let people in they shouldn’t have (I think they tried to do SRO) and it was quite a disaster in the concourses. Pretty sure the fire department told them they couldn’t do it again and that is why that game will always be the biggest crowd in the history of the dome.

we only had 5 home games under 40K in the 90s and 22 of 49K+

Different times. Part of that stretch games could be blacked out locally. Part of that stretch not all games made it to TV. The entire stretch HD and large flat screen TVs did not exist.

The entire stretch we did not play FCS teams. Heck we didn't even play many G5 teams. We also played in a conference with a bunch of teams that were all a short to moderate drive away, minus Miami. Now we have only 2 that we play yearly.

OOC we used to play 2-3 "Power" teams a year and 1-2 non FBS "Power" teams. Now we normally play 1 "Power" team, 2 non, and an FCS. That makes a big difference for attractive Home games.

So on top of being a Top 20 program during that stretch, the above helped drive attendance. Since those conditions do not exist, IMO we would not have the same demand. Especially for the OOC games which are much much weaker. So IMO I think those OOC non P4 games and the really bad ACC games won't typically sell out.

Honestly Clemson fans could buy upper level end zone seats, sell the other games and pay less than if they bought through Clemson - so that’s not surprising.

I think people are conflating how many tickets a school requests (which was your original context) with how many fans they bring. They are two very different things. I could see the Stanford administration - knowing they have a lot of NYC alumni and having no experience with Syracuse for football - playing it safe and requesting the full contractual allotment just to make sure they had enough. The traditional ACC schools had enough info on how fans historically travelled (and bought from them) to other east coast schools that they didn’t request the full possible allotment when we joined the ACC.

I don’t know for sure, but I think schools are slightly less concerned about getting tickets allotted than they were 25 years ago - fans have enough other legal options now that getting tickets through their schools isn’t as attractive as it was in the 80s and 90s. I feel like Syracuse made a bigger deal out of the ability to get road tickets then compared to now - but that might just be because it was something I was interested in then and wouldn’t even consider now (except for rare cases). The Stanford game might have been a weird outlier against the overall trend in this regard.

100%

Someone who gets it

A school requesting tickets is different than fans attending. The vast majority of SU away games that I've attended I didn't purchase my tickets through SU.

Yes that’s accurate, but they still requested the full allotment, which no other ACC school has done.

As I said, did they sell them all? I have no idea

Different times. Part of that stretch games could be blacked out locally. Part of that stretch not all games made it to TV. The entire stretch HD and large flat screen TVs did not exist.

The entire stretch we did not play FCS teams. Heck we didn't even play many G5 teams. We also played in a conference with a bunch of teams that were all a short to moderate drive away, minus Miami. Now we have only 2 that we play yearly.

OOC we used to play 2-3 "Power" teams a year and 1-2 non FBS "Power" teams. Now we normally play 1 "Power" team, 2 non, and an FCS. That makes a big difference for attractive Home games.

So on top of being a Top 20 program during that stretch, the above helped drive attendance. Since those conditions do not exist, IMO we would not have the same demand. Especially for the OOC games which are much much weaker. So IMO I think those OOC non P4 games and the really bad ACC games won't typically sell out.
sure a little of that.. but 35 of those games were on espn/2 or abc/cbs.

The lesser games were on more regional locals and 10 of them not at all.

but we played ball state/cent mich/e mich/cinci/tulane/rutgers not FCS but not really power teams in that time frame.

Attachments

• tmp.gif
    tmp.gif
    859.8 KB · Views: 22

Yeah, back then 4 of the Big East games were a pretty big deal every year. Miami, VT, BC, West Virginia. We just don't have that going for the most part in the ACC. Even BC because neither of us have been consistently good in awhile.

Now that we rotate thru the entire ACC every few years, it could get better. But the teams (including us) have to get better as well.

Too bad we're not playing Miami in week 3 this year. We'd likely all be prepping right now for our first gameday visit.

Based on the hordes of Stanford fans who have descended on this web site to get advice on planning a trip to CNY, I would expect at least 25 to attend the game.

Seriously though, are there Stanford fans checking things out on our board? If so, please weigh in.

If you have questions about where to stay, what to do, things to see, etc., there are people here who would be happy to help you.

It’s always difficult to read TM as they open up and close groups of tickets what seems like randomly but I’m sure there is some practical, statistical means to the end.

Last edited:
There will be a lot of tix movement week of game. I have numerous friends clamoring about getting to a game after that win
and friday nights are event games in Syracuse. Honestly Sat. night games are too but the Friday ones always attract a fun crowd. With a better team, national press and a smaller stadium, I find it hard to believe we dont sell out or come close. I know the school was expecting a sellout if they beat Ga. Tech based on their insights.

Correct. The girl was a disappointed Indiana fan.

Understandable.

If I was dressed in all red (ugh) and watching my team get drilled, I would probably strip down to my underwear as well.
Tom-
werent you in Orlando for the Ga Tech game where Coach P was fired? werent you dressed in Orange? That was an epic beat down at least as bad as the Indiana game. Yet you kept your clothes on. I applaud your restraint!

this can't be right. A train from Palo Alto to Cuse nonstop would be like 4 days
I'm just assuming the fan isn't based in CA. Just thought it was cool to see some enthusiasm on their side.

I'm just assuming the fan isn't based in CA. Just thought it was cool to see some enthusiasm on their side.
true, probably coming from Chicago or someplace else in the Midwest. BTW, I love the train and Amtrak. Best way to travel if you've got time. Completely relaxing, comfortable and scenic. I've taken the train from NYC to Montreal many times and love looking out onto the Hudson River.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom