Stanford Attendance | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Stanford Attendance

seats concessions lights none of it matters other than the loyal nobody goes unless we are winning. Its a pretty pathetic group.
When we win, the casuals watch on TV and go to one game a year. And that's usually halfway through the season. And then we wait and do it all over again the next year. It's not just winning, it's sustained winning that will bring people back. Dino's teams too often went 5-0 and then crumbled.

When we win, the casuals watch on TV and go to one game a year. And that's usually halfway through the season. And then we wait and do it all over again the next year. It's not just winning, it's sustained winning that will bring people back. Dino's teams too often went 5-0 and then crumbled.

You all are focusing on the wrong thing. SU is a small private school in a not highly populated area with most of the alumni not living near by. That is the reason why we have roughly 37,500 "regulars" at games. Our number of regulars is small. One cannot expect casual fans to drive attendance.

Private P4 schools avgs 2018-2023 (not including 2020):

Notre Dame 76,108
USC 60,316
BYU 59,058
Miami 50,684
Baylor 44,087
TCU 43,835
AVG 41,190
SU 37,873
Median 36,804
BC 35,734
Stanford 34,746
Northwestern 32,848
Wake 28,623
Vanderbilt 26,499
Duke 23,499
SMU 22,755

So we are 7th out of 14. That makes us slightly above median but slightly below avg. Are we not where we should be?

We are also ahead of public P4s in Maryland, Cincy, Fresno, Boise, KU, Oregon State, San Diego State, Houston, Washington State, Colorado State.

You all are focusing on the wrong thing. SU is a small private school in a not highly populated area with most of the alumni not living near by. That is the reason why we have roughly 37,500 "regulars" at games. Our number of regulars is small. One cannot expect casual fans to drive attendance.

Notre Dame 76,108
USC 60,316
BYU 59,058
Miami 50,684
Baylor 44,087
TCU 43,835
AVG 41,190
SU 37,873
Median 36,804
BC 35,734
Stanford 34,746
Northwestern 32,848
Wake 28,623
Vanderbilt 26,499
Duke 23,499
SMU 22,755

So we are 7th out of 14. That makes us slightly above median but slightly below avg. Are we not where we should be?

We are also ahead of public P4s in Maryland, Cincy, Fresno, Boise, KU, Oregon State, San Diego State, Houston, Washington State, Colorado State.
Facts are helpful.

In fairness, Nebraska football is probably the most loyal fanbase in American sports. They could play a game in Fiji next weekend and would somehow have 20k fans there.

I would love to be wrong about this since I think it's exciting when the opposing team has a fan presence in the Dome, but I think people may be exaggerating how many NYC/DC-area Stanford people want to make the 5 hour trip to Syracuse to watch their very average football team.
Flights aren't five hours, and any Stanford grad living in the NY metro area has more than enough disposable income to make the commitment if they do choose.

I'm sure they do have a sizable alum base in NYC / Boston / DC - but as you alluded, is this a game or a Stanford team that will draw enough interest from them to commit to spending a Friday and Saturday in Syracuse?

I'm sure the schools internal numbers indicate what direction the attendance is trending and they probably already know what to expect from the Stanford fanbase.

Notre Dame 76,108
USC 60,316
BYU 59,058
Miami 50,684
Baylor 44,087
TCU 43,835
AVG 41,190
SU 37,873
Median 36,804
BC 35,734
Stanford 34,746
Northwestern 32,848
Wake 28,623
Vanderbilt 26,499
Duke 23,499
SMU 22,755

Good post , still we remember how it was 87-2000. With a big bump in people with disposable income coming in , the next 15 years it will be interesting.

Good post , still we remember how it was 87-2000. With a big bump in people with disposable income coming in , the next 15 years it will be interesting.
Look I showed one of the reasons, and I've been a fan since the 50's. And it surprised me. From the bowl game in 2001 to the 9th game of 2018 we weren't ever in either of the Polls in any week.
My friend gave me a dislike, but that shows how bad we had been.
That's why the fans don't come all the time. If we get good again the fans will come. One good year in 23 you have young people who don't remember when we were good.
It's not the fans fault, the program has been mediocre for a long time.
I expect dislikes, but it astonished me to see that.

Notre Dame 76,108
USC 60,316
BYU 59,058
Miami 50,684
Baylor 44,087
TCU 43,835
AVG 41,190
SU 37,873
Median 36,804
BC 35,734
Stanford 34,746
Northwestern 32,848
Wake 28,623
Vanderbilt 26,499
Duke 23,499
SMU 22,755

Great points. Lack of local alumni is a huge reason.

It is expensive if I go with “my family of four”, but heck of a lot cheaper if I go with a buddy or two and more fun.

Last edited:
Yeah, can't think of any major D1 players coming out of my alma mater (West Genesee). They had a kid go to Ohio University last year I think. You occasionally get a kid, outside of CBA, but it is not very often.
Bville might be second to CBA. They have had a handful ( one of whom went to CBA)

Skytop is ridiculous at $28 or whatever

It should be $15
Just paid $30 to park 1.7 miles away from Ross-Ade Stadium - with a nice Shuttle ride to see Purdue get smoked by Notre Dame. Perhaps its the going rate?

As an aside, the sophomore year (son #2) visit to Purdue is complete. Pulled into the lot with our orange car with personalized Syracuse license plates on Saturday and both the Purdue and Notre Dame fans thought we were lost. I enjoyed last year's visit much more. This one gave me flashbacks of 2004, except then I was cheering against the Boilerpeople.

ticket master has the tickets in section 316 at $41.50. These were like $25 for the Ohio game. So for the day you’re probably in the $250+ range for a family of 4. That’s a lot. Amusement parks are cheaper. I’d pay it and make those memories but I’d do that once or twice, I probably wouldn’t do that 6x a season just like I wouldn’t go to Dave and busters 6x. I’d go once…and it’s worth it because the kids loved the heck out of it.

Yes, that's why it makes more sense to buy seasons.

I brought a group of six people to a basketball game for my daughter's birthday a few years ago, after taking them all out to a restaurant before the game. We were only in the 300 seats, and honestly, it was a very expensive evening. They were not impressed with the seats, on top of it. Won't do that again.

I had seasons in the lower level near midfield behind the SU bench for the last 2 seasons in football, but I couldn't get parking, and dropped them.

People find reasons not to come instead of reasons to come. Some of the excuses are pretty pathetic. SU put out an email over the weekend for two tickets for $44. That’s ridiculously reasonable.

I wish people in NYS took ownership of the team more. Being a private university probably doesn't help. Whenever people ask me about SU they seem really intrigued about how we go to every home game and tailgate etc.

I emphatically explain to them that this IS the NYS P4 team.. it's okay to totally embrace them as your own.

What are you gonna pick over them, the Giants and the Jets? SUFB is way more fun.

Alright, let’s not pretend that the concessions in the dome haven’t gotten outrageous

To be quite honest, the cost of food and quality of what they are putting out is unacceptable.

They also need to reevaluate the concessions in 300s.

Absolutely horrible options.

I wish people in NYS took ownership of the team more. Being a private university probably doesn't help. Whenever people ask me about SU they seem really intrigued about how we go to every home game and tailgate etc.

I emphatically explain to them that this IS the NYS P4 team.. it's okay to totally embrace them as your own.

What are you gonna pick over them, the Giants and the Jets? SUFB is way more fun.

Some of that comes from the admins within Syracuse and not from the AD.

They seem to push away the public and point their noses at times to the “general public”

Some of that comes from the admins within Syracuse and not from the AD.

They seem to push away the public and point their noses at times to the “general public”
I think it's the Northeast NFL thing. In NYS pro football is king. Well not in our house it isn't!

Alright, let’s not pretend that the concessions in the dome haven’t gotten outrageous

To be quite honest, the cost of food and quality of what they are putting out is unacceptable.

They also need to reevaluate the concessions in 300s.

Absolutely horrible options.

I'm in 247 and kinda agree on the food. I'm hoping once MVC opens (which will be on the 300 lvl), that they create a few more food kiosks in the huge space there.

Dogs at $5 is the same at my local minor league Baseball park. Beer/Nooners are insane.

The chx sandwhich looks good and it comes with fries. Just GL getting one. Lol.

I'm in 247 and kinda agree on the food. I'm hoping once MVC opens (which will be on the 300 lvl), that they create a few more food kiosks in the huge space there.

Dogs at $5 is the same at my local minor league Baseball park. Beer/Nooners are insane.

The chx sandwhich looks good and it comes with fries. Just GL getting one. Lol.
Tried the Chicken sandwich, the 1st week,
took one bite and threw it away, ate the fries. The 2nd game got a couple hot dogs, could have been cooked more. Think I will try the pizza this week.

Difference is, some people still think that Stanford is in the Andrew Luck days and a solid program

Couple that with a school we’ve never played before.

Add on that we just beat a top 24 team

And then make it a prime time game that’s an event

I have a feeling this one sells out or gets really close to a sell out.

It also helps that Stanford is bringing a decent amount of fans
The never-played-before angle is the one that intrigues me. Seriously, how can it be that Syracuse and Stanford have never played?

Come to think of it, which PAC teams have I seen us play (even if not in person)? Washington, U$C, Arizona. I know we played UCLA a bit before I was a fan. Wonder if we’ve ever played some of the others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom