Summer Player Evaluations | Syracusefan.com

Summer Player Evaluations

Francis03

All American
Hi remember me? Miss me?
http://cusebballrecruiting.blogspot.com/2013/10/summer-player-evaluation.html
Some thoughts on players that I got a chance to check out in full games over the past few months. F those highlight mixtapes that overrate these kids. I always prefer to watch the full games to know the strengths n weakness of these players. Have seen Joseph fully 5 times this year now. Upside is much higher than Scoop and Triche, but those who watched his AND-1 mixes and think that's the player we're getting as soon as he hits the court will be very disappointed. I think we'll see plenty of Scoop like plays from him in the beginning. Good plays mixed in with some What. What I love about his situation, is that he'll have a year to practice and learn behind Ennis before taking over the lead. I don't think we could have ask for a better leader, young man, and mentor to help groom Joseph for the job when it's his turn. If he was faced with coming in and having a major role right away then I would be concern, because I don't think from what I've seen from his play that he would be ready for that kind of load on his shoulders at a high level from the jump.

I have gone back and forth on Derrick Jones. I just don't have a super positive nor negative feel to him. Yes he's athletic and will give you several highlight plays, but I just haven't seen much overall skills to feel that he'll be a great fit for SU. I keep thinking at his build that if he could develop a jump shot like Wes, that maybe that would be a good comparison. Unlike Wes, Jones currently has no idea how to use his length and athleticism to consistency block shots and rebound in traffic. I remember watching Wes amongst the trees just out jump everybody to pull down boards, while Jones so far basically gets swallowed up in traffic.

Current dream 2015 class. Diagne, Bryant, and either one or two out of this group Lydon, Jones, Malachi the gifted one, Silva, Crawford, Stevie Jr, Donovan Mitchell.

I love how 2016 is shaping up with so much high level guys. Getting some studs at the guard position is a must. Jamal Murrray, King Mustapha Heron, Tyus "Kid Mamba" Battle, Lonzo "Gonzo" Ball, etc are guys that we'll have to land if we want to continue competing for championships.

Stay bless yall.

Last edited:
You never mentioned Brunson. Love his game. Did you not mention him because we don't have a chance or because you don't think that highly of him. I also think Mitchell is a big time sleeper. Thanks in advance.

Great post and welcome back! Going to your blog post, who did Kaleb guard those two games (if you remember)?

You never mentioned Brunson. Love his game. Did you not mention him because we don't have a chance or because you don't think that highly of him. I also think Mitchell is a big time sleeper. Thanks in advance.
Brunson is a nice player but he didn't really jump out at me personally. Plus the staff hasn't shown any interest since the elite camp. So I would assume they felt the same as well.

So - just like Wes but without the shot or hops.

Great post and welcome back! Going to your blog post, who did Kaleb guard those two games (if you remember)?
Thanks. In one game he played against Kevon Looney's team and the guards were 5'7 Damontrae Jefferson, who is a poor man's Aquille Carr. The other guards were low major D1 prospects. The other team was a no name but scrappy bunch from Indiana that was just more tough and physical than them. Joseph defended those guards a little bit better but still got schooled several times and was screened out of plays leading to open shots, which I fear will happen to him a lot in the zone until he gets stronger. Goodluck was unfairly ejected just before halftime and they fell apart after that. I thought the coach Vin Pastore was going to fight the refs at some point the way how things got heated lol.

Thanks. In one game he played against Kevon Looney's team and the guards were 5'7 Damontrae Jefferson, who is a poor man's Aquille Carr. The other guards were low major D1 prospects. The other team was a no name but scrappy bunch from Indiana that was just more tough and physical than them. Joseph defended those guards a little bit better but still got schooled several times and was screened out of plays leading to open shots, which I fear will happen to him a lot in the zone until he gets stronger. Goodluck was unfairly ejected just before halftime and they fell apart after that. I thought the coach Vin Pastore was going to fight the refs at some point the way how things got heated lol.
Welcome back bro, and thanks for the evals on your blog, all were awesome.

Welcome back bro, and thanks for the evals on your blog, all were awesome.
Thanks King Tee, really appreciate that.

A little hiphop fact. King Tee was one of the first artist along with Rakim, that Dr. Dre signed when he left Death Row and started Aftermath. Unfortunately neither ever dropped an album on the label.

Hi remember me? Miss me?
Some thoughts on players that I got a chance to check out in full games over the past few months. F those highlight mixtapes that overrate these kids. I always prefer to watch the full games to know the strengths n weakness of these players. Have seen Joseph fully 5 times year now. Upside is much higher than Scoop and Triche, but those who watched his AND-1 mixes and think that's the player we're getting as soon as he hits the court will be very disappointed. I think we'll see plenty of Scoop like plays from him in the beginning. Good plays mixed in with some What. What I love about his situation, is that he'll have a year to practice and learn behind Ennis before taking over the lead. I don't think we could have ask for a better leader, young man, and mentor to help groom Joseph for the job when it's his turn. If he was faced with coming in and having a major role right away then I would be concern, because I don't think from what I've seen from his play that he would be ready for that kind of load on his shoulders at a high level from the jump.

I have gone back and forth on Derrick Jones. I just don't have a super positive nor negative feel to him. Yes he's athletic and will give you several highlight plays, but I just haven't seen much overall skills to feel that he'll be a great fit for SU. I keep thinking at his build that if he could develop a jump shot like Wes, that maybe that would be a good comparison. Unlike Wes, Jones currently has no idea how to use his length and athleticism to consistency block shots and rebound in traffic. I remember watching Wes amongst the trees just out jump everybody to pull down boards, while Jones so far basically gets swallowed up in traffic.

Current dream 2015 class. Diagne, Bryant, and either one or two out of this group Lydon, Jones, Malachi the gifted one, Silva, Crawford, Stevie Jr, Donovan Mitchell.

I love how 2016 is shaping up with so much high level guys. Getting some studs at the guard position is a must. Jamal Murrray, King Mustapha Heron, Tyus "Kid Mamba" Battle, Lonzo "Gonzo" Ball, etc are guys that we'll have to land if we want to continue competing for championships.

Stay bless yall.

I'm feeling good, your opinions matched mine exactly, and I know you watch these guys a lot more than I do. Glad I haven't lost my touch, and thanks for the always great analysis on the up and coming guys.

Thanks King Tee, really appreciate that.

A little hiphop fact. King Tee was one of the first artist along with Rakim, that Dr. Dre signed when he left Death Row and started Aftermath. Unfortunately neither ever dropped an album on the label.
Let's go dippin. Haha, King Tee :)

Welcome back...your posts are eagerly awaited and then read and reread...as is your blog. You were missed!
Wondering what your feeling is about 'Cuse to ACC...is it all positive for recruiting?

It's Good to Be 'Cuse!! The Order of The 'Cuse Orange..

Hi remember me? Miss me?
Some thoughts on players that I got a chance to check out in full games over the past few months.

Stay bless yall.

Derrick Jones sounds a bit like James White, the kid who went to Florida and then transferred to Cinci, where he worked out OK. Human dunking machine in HS, but it took him a while to get his game together in college and wound up a 4 year player.

So - just like Wes but without the shot or hops.

I think he's got the hops, but not the defensive shot-blocking aptitude. Kind of makes him an "athlete" more than a "player".

Derrick Jones sounds a bit like James White, the kid who went to Florida and then transferred to Cinci, where he worked out OK. Human dunking machine in HS, but it took him a while to get his game together in college and wound up a 4 year player.

Oh yeah. The Nuclear Weapon!

Welcome back...your posts are eagerly awaited and then read and reread...as is your blog. You were missed!
Wondering what your feeling is about 'Cuse to ACC...is it all positive for recruiting?

It's Good to Be 'Cuse!! The Order of The 'Cuse Orange..
Most definitely a big positive. Kids are already talking about how exciting it would be to play against Duke, UNC and the rest. Much better than another program that has to get kids pumped to play against Houston, SMU, and UCF. imagepng_2_2.png

Also forgot to mention on my 2015 wish list. If Mr. Briscoe ever has a change of heart and is willing to open up to SU, then I'll gladly love to have his son. Tbh it would probably be the best fit for his son to play in a zone. As gifted as Isaiah is offensively, he's not quick and athletic enough to be a great defender at this point. He's blessed with a 6'9 wingspan, which would enable him to make a ton of plays out on the perimeter up top.

Another interesting note in 2016. Mustapha Heron, Josh Jackson, and Tyus Battle are all one year older for their grade. So don't be surprised if any one of them end up eventually becoming a 2015 recruit.

I love that video you have. I really hope CJ is aggressive like that this year. With his jumper being much better last year, we could be seeing a really special year from him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom