Summer Workouts | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Summer Workouts

I want my bully ball center in the lane and getting putbacks.

The issue is not whether or not he can take and make an occasional trey, but where he should be positioned on the court.

Well based on the limited practice video he’s been in the post a lot including that action running with Donnie.

I think it’s fair to trust Red a bit here is it not? If he trusts him to take an open 3 or two per game then there must be good reason? I get the point loud and clear but setting aside the disdain I know some have for Eddie based on the off season - let’s trust Red knows what he is doing with how these kids are going to play and what skills they apply. It honestly doesn’t matter one bit what he did before until it does. I think there is too much being made of this. If Red lets him go 0-20 over the first 5 games from 3 then by all means sing it from the rooftops but until that’s the reality let’s see how things shake out.

The anger over losing Maliq and adding Eddie is pretty raw on here still.

"Trust me!" ;)

I want my bully ball center in the lane and getting putbacks.

The issue is not whether or not he can take and make an occasional trey, but where he should be positioned on the court.
If Lampkin can, in the pick and roll:

Set bone shaking picks, and pop for threes that he makes at a high rate and roll to the basket for layups and make solid passes when he gets the ball at the top of the key...

Well, I'll be ok with that.

If Lampkin can, in the pick and roll:

Set bone shaking picks, and pop for threes that he makes at a high rate and roll to the basket for layups and make solid passes when he gets the ball at the top of the key...

Well, I'll be ok with that.
Wouldn't he be in the NBA then?

If Eddie can make approximately 1/3 of his 3 point attempts at the top of the key, taking at most 3 per game, thereby requiring his man to come out and guard him and opening the driving lines for the slashers, then I am all in. If I recall, Maliq started doing this in the second half of the season (ducking as the rotten vegetables are thrown at me for referencing MB). Hell, I would be super thrilled if Eddie hit jumper-like bank shots from the free throw line.

Exactly.

Magical thinking for the win, again.

Is considering the possibility based on what the coaching staff is saying far fetched or are we supposed to ignore what they are thinking/saying?

I’m not picking on you at all just to be clear I’m just saying we have only what’s being shared to work with beyond a hypothesis driven from the past.

For instance as an example- would anyone have truly expected J dub to put up 88 3s and shoot at such a high clip his senior year besides teammates and staff? Sure his TS pcts were a tick higher especially at the FT line but he went from putting up 3 his first two years , 14 ( made 4) his jr year to 88 (hitting 42pct) his senior year.

Yeah you can beat me up for pointing to a Cuse great but generally speaking I’m just saying we don’t see anything first hand in the off season. So it’s either the coaching staff is full of it and clueless or they know something we don’t. All of that falls into a time will tell bucket for me. Red did win 20 games last year… despite all that was going on and many flaws.

You would think Coach Autry is giving Eddie the green light to perform surgery having never gone to medical school. This is a natural next step Eddie has to do to develop his offensive game in order to even have a chance of being drafted to the NBA. The question is if it isn’t working to the point it’s negatively hurting the team’s performance in season is how the coach and player respond.

Zero threes made in college.

Its a live ball turnover every single time this dude takes a three even if he’s left alone.

Good lord.

Edit, reposting what I’ve written before:

He’s never taken a three in his college career.

His TS% last year was 59.9%. His FT% last year was 66.1%. His FG% last year was 57.9%, all on twos. All of these aren’t high level for a big, at all.

If he takes a three, it’s the same as a live ball turnover.

And, this is with playing with three NBA draft picks last year.
Counterpoint - college bigs shooting 3s is a wholesome, fun adventure for the whole family and the secret ingredient in Eddie Lampkin Dry Rub is nylon

Wouldn't he be in the NBA then?
He hasn't done it yet.

Maybe this is the year :)

I don't think it's likely Lampkin is going to make some big leap to being Al Horford, but sometimes players do get better. Sometimes they add skills nobody saw in them previously.

If Lampkin can add the ability to hit a three on the pick and pop, he goes from a journeyman Euro pro to an NBA rotation player. It also would be huge for Syracuse long term if a good player like Lampkin with few NBA aspirations suddenly becomes a draft pick during his time here.

It doesn't hurt Red or the team to give Lampkin a chance to show he can do more. At least not at first. If he hits a high rate in medium attempts vs. our cupcake games to start the season, say 9/25 in our first 6 games, Syracuse's ceiling gets a lot higher than if he attempts 0 and never reveals the ability.

If he misses 24 threes in the first bunch of games and we win by 15 instead of 20 the overall cost is low (crappy NET rankings notwithstanding) and Red can pull Lampkin back in and say "we tried" both to Big Eddie and also to future to transfer recruits who want to expand their game when transferring.

He hasn't done it yet.

I don't think it's likely Lampkin is going to make some big leap to being Al Horford, but sometimes players do get better. Sometimes they add skills nobody saw in them previously.

If Lampkin can add the ability to hit a three on the pick and pop, he goes from a journeyman Euro pro to an NBA rotation player. It also would be huge for Syracuse long term if a good player like Lampkin with few NBA aspirations suddenly becomes a draft pick during his time here.

It doesn't hurt Red or the team to give Lampkin a chance to show he can do more. At least not at first. If he hits a high rate in medium attempts vs. our cupcake games to start the season, say 9/25 in our first 6 games, Syracuse's ceiling gets a lot higher than if he attempts 0 and never reveals the ability.

If he misses 24 threes in the first bunch of games and we win by 15 instead of 20 the overall cost is low (crappy NET rankings notwithstanding) and Red can pull Lampkin back in and say "we tried" both to Big Eddie and also to future to transfer recruits who want to expand their game when transferring.
No offense to you but Im not going to waste my or your time anymore on a guy I doubt takes 5 all year.

He hasn't done it yet.

Agreed 144%.

You know else hadn't taken or hit a 3 in his career?
Malik Brown.
And yet, he turned out to pretty decent (in limited attempts) last season.

Let Eddie cook during the preseason cupcake games, with zero pressure.
IF he can hit at a 30%+ rate, then he gets to maybe try some open ones in games that matter.

Is considering the possibility based on what the coaching staff is saying far fetched or are we supposed to ignore what they are thinking/saying?

I’m not picking on you at all just to be clear I’m just saying we have only what’s being shared to work with beyond a hypothesis driven from the past.

For instance as an example- would anyone have truly expected J dub to put up 88 3s and shoot at such a high clip his senior year besides teammates and staff? Sure his TS pcts were a tick higher especially at the FT line but he went from putting up 3 his first two years , 14 ( made 4) his jr year to 88 (hitting 42pct) his senior year.

Yeah you can beat me up for pointing to a Cuse great but generally speaking I’m just saying we don’t see anything first hand in the off season. So it’s either the coaching staff is full of it and clueless or they know something we don’t. All of that falls into a time will tell bucket for me. Red did win 20 games last year… despite all that was going on and many flaws.

Hes never taken a three and has no indicators that he can make them over his whole career.

People showcasing NBA talent-level guys like Horford or J Dub don't do anything for me as it pertains to Lampkin. Horford might end up in the HoF. J Dub was an all american and a first round draft pick. Lampkin isn't close to them.

Again, zero threes taken. No stats that would give an indication that he can do it. And he's a fifth year senior.

Want to hope for it? Sure. I do stuff like this all the time because I'm a big fan. But there is a reason JB (who I was hard on in his later years) used to shut this stuff down and it's because he knew the value of each possession.

And, I don't look at our roster right now and think we have the luxury of having Lampkin try to audition for the NBA (which is what this is) when he will not make the NBA and screw us in the process.

The guy should be working on his switchability on defense (because he's going to be put into a blender) and his ability to set and re-set picks and handle the short roll on offense. I get he can make buckets close to the basket. Great.

Hes never taken a three and has no indicators that he can make them over his whole career.

People showcasing NBA talent-level guys like Horford or J Dub don't do anything for me as it pertains to Lampkin. Horford might end up in the HoF. J Dub was an all american and a first round draft pick. Lampkin isn't close to them.

Again, zero threes taken. No stats that would give an indication that he can do it. And he's a fifth year senior.

Want to hope for it? Sure. I do stuff like this all the time because I'm a big fan. But there is a reason JB (who I was hard on in his later years) used to shut this stuff down and it's because he knew the value of each possession.

And, I don't look at our roster right now and think we have the luxury of having Lampkin try to audition for the NBA (which is what this is) when he will not make the NBA and screw us in the process.

The guy should be working on his switchability on defense (because he's going to be put into a blender) and his ability to set and re-set picks and handle the short roll on offense. I get he can make buckets close to the basket. Great.

1 - I know you are trying to avoid bashing Red outright but is it fair to say right now you are more than skeptical and thinking he’s not the guy ? To me the negative opinions baked into your response are plentiful around his ability to do the job. That’s where I’m going with my points more than it being about Eddie. My reference to Jdub was generic but figured familiarity was a better example.

2 - The game has changed along with society- the things we want emphasized and that coaches could get away with in terms of limiting players has taken close to a 180 degree turn. I’m as old school in the basics too but trying to be real with how things have to be managed now. It’s not unique to sports it’s everywhere including managing staff. So im done hanging on to something that isn’t returning anytime soon. Honestly if I hang onto it I just wouldn’t have any desire to watch the sport at all.

3- I do think its feasible he is working on his defense- given it was much better at TCU than in Boulder.

Agreed 144%.

You know else hadn't taken or hit a 3 in his career?
Malik Brown.
And yet, he turned out to pretty decent (in limited attempts) last season.

Let Eddie cook during the preseason cupcake games, with zero pressure.
IF he can hit at a 30%+ rate, then he gets to maybe try some open ones in games that matter.
I'd 100% be willing to let Eddie take the same # of 3's that Maliq took last year. He knows whether he can make them and will know whether Red agrees it is a good shot.

He hasn't done it yet.

Al Horford was 0-4 on three pointers in college. 0-6 for his first two years in the NBA. Last year he was 108-258 (41.9%) for the Celtics. Nothing wrong to think Eddie might shoot 35% in his fifth season of college ball. If he can pull the opposing center away from the basket with the threat of a three, it is a big win for the rest of the offense.

Summertime is for dreaming. 10+ wins in football, final four in hoops. Reality will get here when it gets here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom