Summer Workouts | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Summer Workouts

It’s absolutely insane to me that we won 20 games with Taylor at the 4 and Brown at the 5. Even crazier was that their backups Q and Carey ended up at McNeese St and Sienna.

4 months later and we have Donnie Freebird and Eddie Lampkin instead.
This isn’t news to you or anyone on this board - but Maliq Brown was really, really good. Any other undersized guy playing the 5 for us last year and we probably only end up with like 16 wins

Zero threes made in college.

Its a live ball turnover every single time this dude takes a three even if he’s left alone.

Good lord.

Edit, reposting what I’ve written before:

He’s never taken a three in his college career.

His TS% last year was 59.9%. His FT% last year was 66.1%. His FG% last year was 57.9%, all on twos. All of these aren’t high level for a big, at all.

If he takes a three, it’s the same as a live ball turnover.

And, this is with playing with three NBA draft picks last year.

Its a live ball turnover every single time this dude takes a three even if he’s left alone.

Good lord.

His TS% last year was 59.9%. His FT% last year was 66.1%. His FG% last year was 57.9%, all on twos. All of these aren’t high level for a big, at all.

Yeah, this team's discipline will reflect heavily on Red. Last year's team wasn't disciplined, we heard it was the roster not the coaches, and now Red remade the roster.

Good lord.

Has he attempted one for Syracuse? Relax.

Good lord.

I think it’s fair to trust Red a bit here is it not? If he trusts him to take an open 3 or two per game then there must be good reason? I get the point loud and clear but setting aside the disdain I know some have for Eddie based on the off season - let’s trust Red knows what he is doing with how these kids are going to play and what skills they apply. It honestly doesn’t matter one bit what he did before until it does. I think there is too much being made of this. If Red lets him go 0-20 over the first 5 games from 3 then by all means sing it from the rooftops but until that’s the reality let’s see how things shake out.

The anger over losing Maliq and adding Eddie is pretty raw on here still.

Good lord.

Did you read the article?

I think it’s fair to trust Red a bit here is it not? If he trusts him to take an open 3 or two per game then there must be good reason? I get the point loud and clear but setting aside the disdain I know some have for Eddie based on the off season - let’s trust Red knows what he is doing with how these kids are going to play and what skills they apply. It honestly doesn’t matter one bit what he did before until it does. I think there is too much being made of this. If Red lets him go 0-20 over the first 5 games from 3 then by all means sing it from the rooftops but until that’s the reality let’s see how things shake out.

The anger over losing Maliq and adding Eddie is pretty raw on here still.

He didn’t show an ability to keep the guys in check last year and this doesn’t indicate he can do it this year.

He didn’t show an ability to keep the guys in check last year and this doesn’t indicate he can do it this year.

So it’s time to start the Fire Red train already? I mean if that’s where we are at then maybe pack up shop and dump hoops. If we are going to go all out then let’s bite the soap and be done with it. Good riddance I guess.

Obviously some tongue in cheek here but I think it’s hardly as simple as Red can’t manage a team when I look back at last year….

Last edited:

Good lord.

I have mixed feelings here. I agree with you in principle... Guys that can't shoot threes shouldn't shoot threes just to feel good about themselves. IMO, Lampkin's fastest route to reduced minutes should be shooting bad threes.

On the other hand, Al Horford averaged 0.00 three point attempts per game his first 6 seasons in the NBA. His last 5 seasons, he's averaged 4.4 attempts and made at a .387 clip.

Guys do evolve and change their games. Maybe Lampkin has become a legit "2 attempts at 36%" guy at this point, and Red should be letting him shoot.

I'll guess we will have to watch the games.

You simply cannot make that call based on this one article. You have been way too intense about all things Lampkin since we brought him in.

So it’s time to start the Fire Red train already? I mean if that’s where we are at then maybe pack up shop and dump hoops. If we are going to go all out then let’s bite the soap and be done with it. Good riddance I guess.

Obviously some tongue in cheek here but I think it’s hardly as simple as Red can’t manage a team when I look back at last year….
20 wins and could have made the playoffs if not for the NET. And that was with a seriously depleted roster at multiple positions. People have to have some faith.

There is middle ground, I don't want him fired but I don't want our center shooting 23% from three because he hit some in practice one off season.

There is middle ground, I don't want him fired but I don't want our center shooting 23% from three because he hit some in practice one off season.
The article said "we've identified what a 3pt shot looks like to him and he works on it" if he makes that very specific 3 then great if not he'll stick to what hes good at.

The usual suspects who have not seen a single practice of any kind already know the whole situation. Obviously Lamkin has not even hit the rim on a single three in practice, but he got right up in Red's face and said "LET ME SHOOT THREES LITTLE MAN" and Red, with a quiver in his voice, replied "s-sure Big Ed, w-w-whatever you want to do boss."

I took the article as middle ground and very much situational vs a green light. For me that makes sense. Now I’m saying if we see him hoisting them with reckless abandon and in large numbers then yeah that’s not ok unless he is hitting 40 pct out of nowhere. That said none of this sounds like Red is giving him a free pass to play Dirk for a year unless others are seeing something I’m not.

The usual suspects who have not seen a single practice of any kind already know the whole situation. Obviously Lamkin has not even hit the rim on a single three in practice, but he got right up in Red's face and said "LET ME SHOOT THREES LITTLE MAN" and Red, with a quiver in his voice, replied "s-sure Big Ed, w-w-whatever you want to do boss."
Also the usual suspects expecting players to do things they've never done before because of a few weeks of summer workouts.

Also the usual suspects expecting players to do things they've never done before because of a few weeks of summer workouts.
You do realize that the origins of this is our head coach right? People are not thinking this based on some weird hunch. RED has said it is a possibility. People didn't just hop on here half drunk saying they think Lampkin can shoot occasional threes based on nothing. All i am doing is considering the possibility that Red is not talking out of his asz.

You do realize that the origins of this is our head coach right? People are not thinking this based on some weird hunch. RED has said it is a possibility. People didn't just hop on here half drunk saying they think Lampkin can shoot occasional threes based on nothing. All i am doing is considering the possibility that Red is not talking out of his asz.
If he takes 5 that aren't at the shot clock or end of half I'd be beyond shocked.

Why are people ok with this and crapped on Kadary and Quincy for leaving to shoot threes? I'd rather either of them take 10 to Lampkin's 1.

If he takes 5 that aren't at the shot clock or end of half I'd be beyond shocked.

Why are people ok with this and crapped on Kadary and Quincy for leaving to shoot threes? I'd rather either of them take 10 to Lampkin's 1.
Again, I would not think he was capable of shooting occasional threes unless our head coach who watches him every day in practice said he was capable of shooting occasional threes. It's that simple.

Again, I would not think he was capable of shooting occasional threes unless our head coach who watches him every day in practice said he was capable of shooting occasional threes. It's that simple.
I guess, my blind faith is running out quickly and has since I heard that JJ is running the point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom