Suspensions? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Suspensions?

Can one of our board geniuses photoshop jacobian onto captain morning standing atop Chief osceola?

We could see anyone take the field today at this point.

I see it now…. 30 seconds left, ?? drops back, scans the field, the pocket collapses for the 50th time on the day despite a 3 man rush, ?? shakes a defensive end with a Booker T circa 2002 spin-er-ooni, runs 20 yards towards the other sideline, heaves up a bomb from midfield… somehow caught by one of the 28 wideouts on the team that don’t catch any passes as time expires! FSU wins 35-6.

Darn. Just listened. I want you to lower your standards. I want to win. At least today. Lower them today only.

I don't think the academic suspension thing makes sense at all. There aren't final grades right now.

I don't think the academic suspension thing makes sense at all. There aren't final grades right now.
I'm fine with it as long as the players know the standard ahead of time. I think some coaches do actually still care about preparing athletes for life after sports. If being able to play is the carrot that makes guys pay attention to their course work throughout the semester, that's a good thing.

I'm fine with it as long as the players know the standard ahead of time. I think some coaches do actually still care about preparing athletes for life after sports. If being able to play is the carrot that makes guys pay attention to their course work throughout the semester, that's a good thing.
I guess.

But that would be a weird case where a student athlete is being held to a different standard than a non student athlete.

Your regular student on academic scholarship doesn't lose their scholarship or academic eligibility partway through a semester.

A student athlete suspension before final grades are in just doesn't make sense to me.

I highly doubt it. I also think Dino's scheme has been re-invented so much on offense and defense that the type of conditioning Edinger is known for is no longer relevant for the team. Will Hicks is actually who we probably need at this point, honestly.
I’m more curious why edinger is always close enough to be hugging Dino on the sidelines. Maybe he just likes the smell of his aftershave?

Outside of the Dungey years. I can’t think of another time under Marrone or Schaefer that injury derailed the year
2011, and key injuries early cost the team in 2012. 1997 the team got very beat up early. All three fullbacks, McNabb wrapped like a mummy. 98 the defense had a lot in the secondary

2011, and key injuries early cost the team in 2012. 1997 the team got very beat up early. All three fullbacks, McNabb wrapped like a mummy. 98 the defense had a lot in the secondary
What injuries were in 2011, I just remember the team falling apart in the locker room after the west V win

I guess.

But that would be a weird case where a student athlete is being held to a different standard than a non student athlete.

Your regular student on academic scholarship doesn't lose their scholarship or academic eligibility partway through a semester.

A student athlete suspension before final grades are in just doesn't make sense to me.
They're not losing a scholarship. Don't look at it as a punishment. It's accountability. We all know not all student athletes come from a good academic background. If those guys aren't monitored throughout the semester, end up being academically ineligible, and get kicked out of school, that's a disservice to them. If they're slapped on the wrist midsemester and it keeps them on track, they get to keep their scholarship and keep working toward a valuable degree. Is it better to miss a game or lose your scholarship?

Lot's of coaches have different rules. I've heard a lot them have had rules that their guys have to sit in the first two rows of all of their classes.

I knew a guy that played football at Hobart that was thankful for all of it. He wasn't a good student in high school, but he said all of the rules and structure he had taught him how to be a good student and helped him get a degree.

Edit: I didn't address the guy on academic scholarship. They have their own set of rules that are different than the student athlete. They have to maintain a higher GPA to keep their scholarship than athletes who only have to remain in good standing.

Last edited:
That's one player. This season, how many first string guys have we lost to season ending injuries and how many more for a significant number of games? Add to that that our best player has likely been significantly hampered by injury all year. It wasn't like this in the '90's or even the '00's.
Well it was certainly more than one player per year back then, but if you are arguing that the injuries this year are out of line - I agree with you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom