Syracuse vs. St. John's Game Thread | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse vs. St. John's Game Thread

Lol. What did Cooney do wrong this game? He's probably one of the most heavily guarded players we've ever had. I think I saw one play written up for him today. Lay off, many other guys deserve more flack than him today.
Something is wrong with Cooney or this team or both when it comes to getting him looks. Either he's not good at running people off screens or we suck at setting them because I've seen a hundred guys like Cooney get open when the other team guarded them like this, Heslip, Redick etc.

Half time adjustment: Nobody but Cooney shoots a 3. Anyone takes a 3 is benched. What a bunch of pathetic bricklayers.
And nobody obviously listened to the scouting report that Harrison is a 3 pt shooter. Someone might scream it into Kaleb's ear.
If Joseph plays like this to start the off, sit him for Patterson. We can't afford to lose this game and if all Joseph is gonna do is pass the ball around the perimeter and play garbage defense, well then Patterson can do that too and play good defense.

B.J.'s shot is such a moon ball. Will look really nice once it starts dropping in.

We talk a lot about how much Cooney runs around, but it doesn't look like we're forcing a whole lot of action to him today.
Missed first half... But yea, never been a fan of his mechanics at all. It's funky and changes like every time I see it

BJ needs to develop a conscience...same with Buss, who hasn't made a shot outsider the paint since early November. I guess Roberson is still hurt. Shut him down for two weeks.

If someone else could consistently hit a 3 then maybe Cooney would get some open looks.

iommi said:
G is not a cerebral player, and I'm being kind. What is up with mcCullough's FT shooting? We might be the worst shooting team in America. Other than that, all is good.

He's not the brightest bulb.

Disagree about Cooney. Is he a starter who plays 35+ minutes on a perennial top 25 team? Probably not. But he's a legit high D1 player.
Cooney absolutely is high D1, said pre season Joseph would need a lot of time. They need to sit him when he is playing out of wack. Put gbinije at point and Patterson... Have Patterson and cooney up top on zone

Half time adjustment: Nobody but Cooney shoots a 3. Anyone takes a 3 is benched. What a bunch of pathetic bricklayers.
And nobody obviously listened to the scouting report that Harrison is a 3 pt shooter. Someone might scream it into Kaleb's ear.

This team shouldn't be taking 13 3s in a game, let alone in one half.

G is not a cerebral player, and I'm being kind. What is up with mcCullough's FT shooting? We might be the worst shooting team in America. Other than that, all is good.
Going into tonight we were tied for 113th with Dartmouth, Long Beach State (an upcoming foe) and Alabama.
Hard to believe we're not worse...but hat's only because we get so many interior shots.

If Joseph plays like this to start the off, sit him for Patterson. We can't afford to lose this game and if all Joseph is gonna do is pass the ball around the perimeter and play garbage defense, well then Patterson can do that too and play good defense.
Yep. Our PG play is bad. KJ looks lost. He is creating turnover opportunities for teammates by putting them in bad positions.

Difference is we shot 1-14 from 3, st johns 4-12. We didn't create plays with the ball high mid low post the last 8 minutes that was the difference late. St Johns is a pretty good team. They run good halfcourt offense as a team with upperclassmen, better team then michigan imo.

I remember one play Joseph drove turned it over, JB got on him about it immedietly he came out the next play unagressive off the drive passing it around the perimeter to much which resulted in no post pass and a st johns fast break bucket off a late prayer from mccullough. A big sign he is still fresh.

Joseph doesn't handle the physical nature well right now for a freshmen point, in a physical game like this it hurts him some. Gbinije is more ready to, but then again he is playing off guard more so he receives the ball with sa head start. Loved him driving early, and he knocked down our only 3.

Our 2/3 slot is a major issue. There is no answer on the roster. Our only strength lies with Roc and Mac.

I'm really concerned we might not be any better than .500 in ACC play. We are just not a very good team. Only guy I foresee improving is Kaleb. Everyone else is who they are. That's a problem.

Our 2/3 slot is a major issue. There is no answer on the roster. Our only strength lies with Roc and Mac.
I honestly like G at the 3. G/CMac/Rak is our strength. The 1/2 slots is where we are severely lacking.

Yep. Our PG play is bad. KJ looks lost. He is creating turnover opportunities for teammates by putting them in bad positions.
Exactly.
And even though Gbinje isn't exactly a great tactician...I seem to just feel a lot more confidence when he's at the point.

I'd like to see more Patterson. I think he can create opportunities off his D. Joseph can't play 35 min. Id like to see more of a split.

Cooney is getting checked the first step over half court. I'm okay with anybody else taking an open three...they have to start going in right? Johnson is not a d-1 shooter. His shot is too slow, too mechanical.

Feed Rak and run some high screens with Cooney at point and McCullough setting the screen.

Rak and CMac are good in their roles. G and Cooney could be key players, but they're in roles too big for them right now; they're both better off being compliments coming off the bench. We're just missing that consistent perimeter player.

St. John's is defending us really well. Have basically taken McC out of the game and are making Rak earn everything, and who cares about anyone else.

We need to look to make some more happen in transition, I think.

I'm really concerned we might not be any better than .500 in ACC play. We are just not a very good team. Only guy I foresee improving is Kaleb. Everyone else is who they are. That's a problem.
If we had a better pg this team would be cruising to a win today and would have easily beaten Michigan. Remember, for as bad as he is offensively, he's worse defensively and his inability to stop penetration and close out on shooters against UM killed our defense.

Lol. What did Cooney do wrong this game? He's probably one of the most heavily guarded players we've ever had. I think I saw one play written up for him today. Lay off, many other guys deserve more flack than him today.

He's done wrong what he has done right - NOTHING!!! - he's slow and can't dribble - he get's locked down EVERY game - and he's not even close to being a lights out shooter to justify putting such an out of place athlete on the court - I'm pretty sure he hasnt had an assist during his time at Cuse - defensively he's a problem too

Jake: problem with Patterson is he can't find the ocean. I know he's not alone but he needs to make shots. I agree on BJ; his shot looks like it's in slow motion and he never gets a shooter's roll.

Jake: problem with Patterson is he can't find the ocean. I know he's not alone but he needs to make shots. I agree on BJ; his shot looks like it's in slow motion and he never gets a shooter's roll.
At least he plays defense though. (Patterson)

I haven't given up hope on BJ or Patterson. With how McCullough and Rak look, we just need a few guys to step up consistently. We won't threaten for the ACC title, but we should be top 5 or 6 in the league.

We've been focusing on the pathetic offense...but our defense hasn't been great.
Certainly haven't created offense out of it.
And as SJU came down on its last possession no one in the zone even had his hands up or out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom