Team stats, through two games | Syracusefan.com

Team stats, through two games

RF2044

Living Legend
1636990763570.png

A couple of interesting things -- granted, it's early and stats will normalize as we get more data points over the course of the season:

• Great team three point shooting so far. Buddy's at 40% [expected], JB3 is at 60% [unexpected], JG3 is at 100% [indicating that he's camping out at the three point line for kick-outs, instead of trying to create them off the bounce and settling for 28 footers]. Swider is the outlier at 27%, which I expect to increase precipitously once he gets more comfortable.
  • Centers are currently averaging 15 and 8.5, with Jesse shooting 100% [!!! lol] from the field, and Frank converting 71%.
  • Jesse needs to rebound better -- but they are both showing more offensive capabilities than what most expected. 10 and 10 combined doesn't seem unreasonable.
  • 8 player rotation -- makes sense, Frank / Symir / Benny are all going to play. A lot.
  • Jimmy is much better than expected. Hope it continues
  • Our starting lineup features 3 seniors and 2 juniors [not accounting for COVID-based eligibility]. That level of experience is going to pay off this year.

Last edited:
if they can stay above 10/10 most games thats pretty solid. with the amount of dump downs they will have just finish the chippies and they can get 10 pts.. if they ever get some offensive rebounds look out.

some more interesting stats:

- opponents are shooting 91.7% against us from the free throw line
- we are playing with tempo, currently ranked 33rd in the country in pace
- we are 4th in America in 3P%
Let's hope JB puts an emphasis on free throw defense in practice this week.

if they can stay above 10/10 most games thats pretty solid. with the amount of dump downs they will have just finish the chippies and they can get 10 pts.. if they ever get some offensive rebounds look out.

Agreed. That's just a bucket or two and a free throw or two per half. They both look like they're capable of finishing once they get the ball -- we don't even have to run plays for them. Also looks like several of the guys look to set them up with lobs on drives.

as JB said.. 15/10 thats the goal. block/Alter a few shots/deflect a few passes as well. Lots of upside there. If they both can make 1-2 moves a games with the amount of space they will get they can get there.

as JB said.. 15/10 thats the goal. block/Alter a few shots/deflect a few passes as well. Lots of upside there. If they both can make 1-2 moves a games with the amount of space they will get they can get there.

Every facet of his game has improved this year but I’d like to see more rebounding from Jesse, especially on the defensive end.

Every facet of his game has improved this year but I’d like to see more rebounding from Jesse, especially on the defensive end.
I think he'll grow into it. Lots of long rebounds in these first two games have left him with relatively few defensive rebounding opportunities, although he did seem to get outmuscled a few times. We'll see.

In addition, our assist to turnover ratio AS A TEAM is better than it was for any single player last year. That is pretty staggering and continues to show how well these guys play together.
Everyone is a willing passer

I think he'll grow into it. Lots of long rebounds in these first two games have left him with relatively few defensive rebounding opportunities, although he did seem to get outmuscled a few times. We'll see.
It's also pretty tough to rebound when you are contesting the corner three. First, you're physically heading in the wrong direction. Second, most common rebound coming from that area is heading toward the other corner. Third, it's still ridiculous that our centers have to cover the corner three.

Sorry, got off track there.

Long shots from three will lead to long rebounds. Much tougher for a center to grab those up. That's why Quincy had the most boards last year. Forwards will always have more opportunities to grab rebounds in our system. I'd like to see continued effort from the guards to grab defensive boards.

He had some solid rebounding games last season in conference. I think he'll come around.

Speaking of stats, and again it’s only 2 games, Buddy is 6th in scoring, Cole 7th in rebounding, Jimmy 3rd in FG%, Joe 1st in assists, Buddy 1st in FT%, Cole 3rd in steals, Joe 1st in 3pt%, Joe 2nd in 3pt FG made, Jesse 1st in blocks, and Symir 1st in A/T ratio,

Speaking of stats, and again it’s only 2 games, Buddy is 6th in scoring, Cole 7th in rebounding, Jimmy 3rd in FG%, Joe 1st in assists, Buddy 1st in FT%, Cole 3rd in steals, Joe 1st in 3pt%, Joe 2nd in 3pt FG made, Jesse 1st in blocks, and Symir 1st in A/T ratio,
Is this in the conference or country?

It's also pretty tough to rebound when you are contesting the corner three. First, you're physically heading in the wrong direction. Second, most common rebound coming from that area is heading toward the other corner. Third, it's still ridiculous that our centers have to cover the corner three.

Sorry, got off track there.

Long shots from three will lead to long rebounds. Much tougher for a center to grab those up. That's why Quincy had the most boards last year. Forwards will always have more opportunities to grab rebounds in our system. I'd like to see continued effort from the guards to grab defensive boards.

Yes, you can't really judge Jesse on defensive rebounding when the opposing center is playing in the high post or behind the three point line (which was basically every possession the last 2 games) because he gets dragged out of of rebounding position in those situations.

Howvever, I do think you can judge his offensive rebounding, which has been sub par. With his length and quickness he should be pulling down 2 or 3 of those a game, and with our shooters offensive rebounds should translate to second chance points a high percentage of the time.

I dont actually think rebounding is a stat that matters. If one team has more rebounds because the other team misses a lot of free throws it doesn't really tell you much about the game. I DO think second chance points matters a lot. We are going to give up our fair share of second chance points because we will give up our fair share of rebounds. But having a shot blocker in the middle to prevent easy put backs should help, and we can cancel that out by getting an equal or greater amout of second chance points ourself, which we should be able to do if guys like Jesse and Frank can come down with their fair share of offensive boards.

The 2012 SU team was the worst rebounding team I ever remember, but they went undefeated with their starting line up in tact, mostly because the D was so good that even though they gave up a huge amount of rebounds they gave up a small amount of second chance points, and also because they got a fair amount of second chance points themselves. There were several games where they got outrebounded by 20 but still won the second chance points battle. That's the kind of team we want this team to grow into.

For those saying

“Lets wait and see what they do vs real competition”

That Drexel team was solid.

A tourney team last year and looked improved this year.

Love what I see out of Swider and Jimmy. Two guys who understand the flow of the game and play like veterans. An underrated effect of this is that it allows Benny to grow into the game, learn and adjust. Will pay dividends by February if we stay healthy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom