The “ Stadium “ | Syracusefan.com

The “ Stadium “

GooseMutt

All Conference
I understand we are looking to rename the Dome and have read that it may be called the Stadium. So boring and generic. I don’t have any great suggestions but I work prefer something along the lines of “ Syracuse Sports Center “ although I know this falls short

My guess (no inside knowledge) is that it will eventually bear the name of either a donor in perpetuity (e.g., John Paul Jones Arena at UVA) or a corporate sponsor for a specified contract length (of which there are many examples). Less likely to name it after a university legend (e.g. Phog Allen Fieldhouse) unless there is some way to get revenue out of it. Let's be realistic. Universities today need to take advantage of every opportunity to increase their revenues. On the other hand, there are, of course, Michigan Stadium and Notre Dame Stadium. So who knows.

Last edited:
I'm going to cry if it's something embarrassing sounding like the KFC Yum! Center.

For instance, I would not be in support of the Sunglass Shack Stadium and it's slogan.

Sitting On Faces Since 2001

My guess (no inside knowledge) is that it will eventually bear the name of either a donor in perpetuity (e.g., John Paul Jones Arena at UVA) or a corporate sponsor for a specified contract length (of which there are many examples). Less likely to name it after a university legend (e.g. Phog Allen Fieldhouse) if there is some way to get revenue out of it. Let's be realistic. Universities today need to take advantage of every opportunity to increase their revenues.
I would be totally ok with that and with that in mind very curious which name will surface. I welcome the change

My guess (no inside knowledge) is that it will eventually bear the name of either a donor in perpetuity (e.g., John Paul Jones Arena at UVA) or a corporate sponsor for a specified contract length (of which there are many examples). Less likely to name it after a university legend (e.g. Phog Allen Fieldhouse) if there is some way to get revenue out of it. Let's be realistic. Universities today need to take advantage of every opportunity to increase their revenues. On the other hand, there are, of course, Michigan Stadium and Notre Dame Stadium. So who knows.

Notre Dame basketball arena used to be called Joyce Center, the CEO of
Morgan Stanley donated 12.5 million dollars for renovations of the facility. it’s now called Purcell Pavilion.
The technical name is Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center but its called Purcell Pavilion.
That is my guess as it what will happen at Syracuse.

I'm going to cry if it's something embarrassing sounding like the KFC Yum! Center.

Wouldn't bother me when you consider the extra funding.

Notre Dame basketball arena used to be called Joyce Center, the CEO of
Morgan Stanley donated 12.5 million dollars for renovations of the facility. it’s now called Purcell Pavilion.
The technical name is Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center but its called Purcell Pavilion.
That is my guess as it what will happen at Syracuse.

We can call the Dome the Joyce Center.

Would you like her to send cash or check?

I think it's inevitable that it gets a corporate sponsor's name.
You just have to hope they can get a sponsor whose name isn't ridiculous.

KFC YUM! Center is ridiculous.

Citifield not so much

Yankee Stadium is Yankee Stadium but it is 'sponsored' by Bank of America and there is lots of signage everywhere there I believe (not a Yankee fan - I don't go there)

So it could be The Jim Brown Arena sponsored by Chase Bank or something like that.

I think calling it Syracuse Stadium in the interim is a good move. If we called it Syracuse Dome potential sponsors might be scared off with a lawsuit from Carrier.

It will be the sponsors call what they want to call it when they purchase naming rights. It will probably be the '____ Dome' but they could opt for field or stadium or center. When Fleet bank went under TD bank was smart enough to call the building the TD Banknorth Boston Garden because people hated the name the 'Fleetcenter.' But if Fleet (Shawmut) had originally called it Garden in 1995 everyone would have hated that too because it was so different and mundane compared to the original building. So the transition name was appropriate.

Is Carmelo rich enough to call it the Melo Dome? My guess is hes been too philanthropic over his career to be able to pen that check. I don't think our price tag is all that high though. I don't want to speculate on anyone's finances but I think he would do it if he had the extra money. Not sure how big his endorsements are/were.

I hope they keep the Carrier name for as long as possible. It’s part of the Cuse identity. With that said, Boeheim needs to be honored in a significant way when he retires. At minimum, we need a statue.

A little off topic but I’d like to see Pearl have something named after him. Melo has the practice facility so it’s only fair to do something great for Pearl. Obviously Melo donated money to make it happen but Pearl was equally important to the program. Ok, carry on.

Maybe there's some name before it... but It would be idiotic to call it anything other than the "Dome."
Regardless of what the new roof looks like.
Otherwise it's 40 years of branding down the drain for a campus arena that no one can match.
And has probably helped lure a recruit or two.
But SU is so bad at branding it wouldn't be a surprise.

Whatever its named it'll always be the carrier dome. It's like with carousel mall and destiny. Syracuse is a stubborn enough to keep it going well past my lifetime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom