The Best Burger Joint in Every P5 College Town | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The Best Burger Joint in Every P5 College Town

First sentence, yes!

Second, no!

My hot take: 75% of burger toppings are crap. It's all about the burger, and the best bacon/brisket/foie in the world can't rescue crappy beef.

But yeah, even a mediocre burger is a pretty good burger. Can't say that about pizza.
One big differentiator for me between burgers is the amount of seasoning used. A lot of burgers from restaurants are, IMHO, under seasoned. Sometimes alarmingly so.

Without proper seasoning, even if it is just salt and pepper, you lose a lot.

Chicken Wings: H0T Takes

1. Any breading on them...GTFOH with those.
2. Boneless: Ain't Wings
3. Wet>Dry Rub
4. If you lips aren't burning at least a little after eating you either ordered wrong or find a new place.
5. I hate Blue Cheese but Ranch is ok.
6. Drums>Flats (But any Hot Wing is great)

No breading?! My man, all those years down South and you haven't been fully indoctrinated yet! I dunno, I like a dry and/or breaded wing. Not all the time, but it's a good change of pace.

Agree with #2, what kind of nonsense was this invention, anyway? Boneless = not wings. Apparently "chicken chunks" wasn't appealing branding.

One big differentiator for me between burgers is the amount of seasoning used. A lot of burgers from restaurants are, IMHO, under seasoned. Sometimes alarmingly so.

Without proper seasoning, even if it is just salt and pepper, you lose a lot.

Seasoning + heat + quality of beef is pretty much the ballgame. Heat source, too (griddled >>>>>> grilled).

And honestly, if they get the seasoning and heat right, quality of beef isn't a deal-breaker anymore.

Unforgivable.
I never liked moldy cheese. Ewww.

I can handle gorgonzola in salad dressing though.

Blue Cheese is a binary code reaction to most people. Love it or Hate it. My wife loves it...so when we get wings the blue cheese is all hers.

Last edited:
Seasoning + heat + quality of beef is pretty much the ballgame. Heat source, too (griddled >>>>>> grilled).

And honestly, if they get the seasoning and heat right, quality of beef isn't a deal-breaker anymore.

Pretty much agree to this...the beef can be fairly cheap but if it has too much crap like bone chips and grizzle that is a no go for me. I actually find making burgers with very lean beef isn't always the best.

A fine line between a lot of extras to dress up a burger and an overloaded sloppy, wet mess you have to eat with silverware.

I never liked moldy cheese. Ewww.

I can handle gorgonzola in salad dressing though.

Blue Cheese is a binary code reaction to most people. Love it or Hate it. My wife loves it...so when we get wings the blue cheese is all hers.
I find cilantro inedible, which I'm assuming would be unforgivable if I lived in San Antonio.

I find cilantro inedible, which I'm assuming would be unforgivable if I lived in San Antonio.
Hah...it is actually pretty good in certain dishes. BTW, I moved to Florida. In the St Augustine Area...something called Datil Pepper is local here. It is actually really good. Not super hot in stinging you and overwhelming you but great flavor. I highly recommend trying it.

Yeah but the co-eds cancel all that out. Not that you care.

I always assumed those girls wouldn't know the difference. Just say I love football and Roll Tide, next thing you know she invites you to her parents' house for an engagement party.

I always assumed those girls wouldn't know the difference. Just say I love football and Roll Tide, next thing you know she invites you to her parents' house for an engagement party.
Chip did I camouflage your face enough so no one knows who you are?

fat-1.jpg

3. Wet>Dry Rub
4. If you lips aren't burning at least a little after eating you either ordered wrong or find a new place.

1,2,3,4 - Agree wholeheatedly!

5 - You crazy! ;) Give me blue cheese, all day, every day! I actually don't care for ranch at all, which puts me in the minority.

6 - I'm not picky but would take flats over drums if given the choice. Like you say, any hot wing will work.

Nailed this one. Blarney burger every time I’m back in town. Living in Buff now, Allen Town Burger Venture, for our neighbors in Cuse, who find themselve west.
This has almost nothing to do with your comment but reading that you’re in Buffalo and then seeing the thread divulge into a chicken wing conversation has me craving Smitty wings from Doc Sullivan’s in the worst way.

The burger “Sanford style” at the new Peachtree sandwich company in Dewitt is incredible. Order it with comeback sauce or the Alabama white sauce
View attachment 200968
Please tell me what's on that...lol! . bacon, and what looks like smoked pork? Either way, my next burger(before the ER) needs something like that. I'll do smoked pork Cubano's, but I've never considered it burger style. Even if its just the smoked pork with homemade bacon, I'm all over that.

This has almost nothing to do with your comment but reading that you’re in Buffalo and then seeing the thread divulge into a chicken wing conversation has me craving Smitty wings from Doc Sullivan’s in the worst way.

Doc Sullivans, good chicken wings and loose women!

3. Wet>Dry Rub

If you eat ranch on wings, you don't deserve wings.

Please tell me what's on that...lol! . bacon, and what looks like smoked pork? Either way, my next burger(before the ER) needs something like that. I'll do smoked pork Cubano's, but I've never considered it burger style. Even if its just the smoked pork with homemade bacon, I'm all over that.
Yup. It’s smoked brisket and homemade bacon over a burger with comeback sauce. He makes it all fresh everyday.

He also does a brisket sandwich with southern slaw on top. That’s actually their best seller

My in-laws are from South Buffalo, love Docs

1,2,3,4 - Agree wholeheatedly!

5 - You crazy! ;) Give me blue cheese, all day, every day! I actually don't care for ranch at all, which puts me in the minority.

6 - I'm not picky but would take flats over drums if given the choice. Like you say, any hot wing will work.
If a couple place's have decent wings? I pick the place that serves Ken's blue cheese(or other with similar huge chunks of cheese). Some of the "watered down" blue cheese dressings are too close to ranch. Ranch is for the veggies. The better the blue cheese, the hotter i get my wings.

Hah...it is actually pretty good in certain dishes. BTW, I moved to Florida. In the St Augustine Area...something called Datil Pepper is local here. It is actually really good. Not super hot in stinging you and overwhelming you but great flavor. I highly recommend trying it.

There's a cilantro gene, or something. They can actually test for it. It makes Cilantro taste like white chalk, and you will never, EVER, like the taste of Cilantro. I love it, but its always an ask when serving, because half my family despises the stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom