The Carrier Dome Renaming Thread...

Consigliere

All Conference
I think the construction plan where the existing structure remains usable while a new structure is essentially built over and around it muddies the waters a bit. Granted the existing walls stay in place but they are being significantly reinforced.

I think the concept of a new facility would have become more universally acceptable if we shut the existing structure down, pulled out all the seats and the old roof then reinforced and built a new roof. Easier to stage that as constructing a new facility on the site of the old.

At any rate, despite any public posturing by both sides I expect to see them reach agreement one way or the other without having to resort to legal proceedings.

upperdeck

Living Legend
they can lay claim to the carrier dome.. but since its no longer a dome but a new roof the new stadium will just have a new name as well.. the "blank" stadium formerly known as carrier dome housing ernie davis field. a bit long but it works.

OttoMets

Living Legend
Would Dome be possibly a defined term in the type of contract that was put in place? If so that's where things may well rest regarding the old contract.
It certainly could be.

reedny

Stable Genius
I think the construction plan where the existing structure remains usable while a new structure is essentially built over and around it muddies the waters a bit. Granted the existing walls stay in place but they are being significantly reinforced.

I think the concept of a new facility would have become more universally acceptable if we shut the existing structure down, pulled out all the seats and the old roof then reinforced and built a new roof. Easier to stage that as constructing a new facility on the site of the old.

At any rate, despite any public posturing by both sides I expect to see them reach agreement one way or the other without having to resort to legal proceedings.
Good points. The Dome's still sits on the same piece of land, and most of the original concrete is there. But the project's just getting started. Once the roof is removed and restructured with all that new steel and a hard surface, the sides are supported (with new steel and footings), and the interior is gutted (rumors about new bowl seating, ada changes) with concessions redone and new lighting/video and Wifi, all at 4-5x the original cost ... seems like the 'substantially new facility' argument will only get stronger. But I hope they work it out or cut ties soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: FAL

Moontan

2017 ESPN College Bowl Pick’em Winner
I do too, but as I mentioned previously, the university has put Carrier on the clock.
If things don't get done by the end of the school year then there will not be anything "Carrier" in/on the Dome by the 2020 football season kick off.

sufandu

All American
they can lay claim to the carrier dome.. but since its no longer a dome but a new roof the new stadium will just have a new name as well.. the "blank" stadium formerly known as carrier dome housing ernie davis field. a bit long but it works.
It'll still be a dome, just not an air supported one.

nzm136

All Conference

This won’t be decided by a court.

Orijinal

Starter
If the word "lifetime" was used in the contract, then a 40-year
-old building with a $118 million "renovation" is definitely past it's useful life.

Built for $27.5 million, renovated for $118 million with more to come. Seems like that would give Carrier little footing.

GoSU96

Living Legend
We need Wegman's commercials to counter act Food Lion...
Does Wegmans even advertise? Cant remember the last time I saw a Wegmans commercial

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom