The Carrier Dome Renaming Thread... | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

The Carrier Dome Renaming Thread...

I think the construction plan where the existing structure remains usable while a new structure is essentially built over and around it muddies the waters a bit. Granted the existing walls stay in place but they are being significantly reinforced.

I think the concept of a new facility would have become more universally acceptable if we shut the existing structure down, pulled out all the seats and the old roof then reinforced and built a new roof. Easier to stage that as constructing a new facility on the site of the old.

At any rate, despite any public posturing by both sides I expect to see them reach agreement one way or the other without having to resort to legal proceedings.

they can lay claim to the carrier dome.. but since its no longer a dome but a new roof the new stadium will just have a new name as well.. the "blank" stadium formerly known as carrier dome housing ernie davis field. a bit long but it works.

Would Dome be possibly a defined term in the type of contract that was put in place? If so that's where things may well rest regarding the old contract.

It certainly could be.

I think the construction plan where the existing structure remains usable while a new structure is essentially built over and around it muddies the waters a bit. Granted the existing walls stay in place but they are being significantly reinforced.

I think the concept of a new facility would have become more universally acceptable if we shut the existing structure down, pulled out all the seats and the old roof then reinforced and built a new roof. Easier to stage that as constructing a new facility on the site of the old.

At any rate, despite any public posturing by both sides I expect to see them reach agreement one way or the other without having to resort to legal proceedings.
Good points. The Dome's still sits on the same piece of land, and most of the original concrete is there. But the project's just getting started. Once the roof is removed and restructured with all that new steel and a hard surface, the sides are supported (with new steel and footings), and the interior is gutted (rumors about new bowl seating, ada changes) with concessions redone and new lighting/video and Wifi, all at 4-5x the original cost ... seems like the 'substantially new facility' argument will only get stronger. But I hope they work it out or cut ties soon.

Last edited:
I do too, but as I mentioned previously, the university has put Carrier on the clock.
If things don't get done by the end of the school year then there will not be anything "Carrier" in/on the Dome by the 2020 football season kick off.

they can lay claim to the carrier dome.. but since its no longer a dome but a new roof the new stadium will just have a new name as well.. the "blank" stadium formerly known as carrier dome housing ernie davis field. a bit long but it works.
It'll still be a dome, just not an air supported one.

This won’t be decided by a court.

If the word "lifetime" was used in the contract, then a 40-year
-old building with a $118 million "renovation" is definitely past it's useful life.

Built for $27.5 million, renovated for $118 million with more to come. Seems like that would give Carrier little footing.

We need Wegman's commercials to counter act Food Lion...

Does Wegmans even advertise? Cant remember the last time I saw a Wegmans commercial

4F805D89-45C1-4B85-8081-2D89A40BFA13.jpeg
Based on this tweet, I’d say that Carrier still has some work to do if it wants to retain their association with the Dome’s name.

Yes, that doesn't look good for Carrier, does it?

They’re not even calling it a/the Dome anymore.

And “Carrier” got redacted ages ago from any official Syracuse references.

SU’s lawyers sending another volley right across Carrier’s bow.

Say hello to the Wegman’s Stadium!! :cool:

They’re not even calling it a/the Dome anymore.

And “Carrier” got redacted ages ago from any official Syracuse references.

SU’s lawyers sending another volley right across Carrier’s bow.

Say hello to the Wegman’s Stadium!! :cool:
My money is on the Turning Stone Dome

Yeah, the fact he's calling it a "stadium" seems to imply that it's no longer a "dome", thereby being substantial enough of a rebuild/redesign that it invalidates the perpetual naming rights. Definitely a deliberate upping of the verbiage.

Yes, that doesn't look good for Carrier, does it?
If we knew who is doing the A/C, that would tell us a lot. I can not imagine Carrier would want its name on a building whose A/C chillers are supplied by a different company. With A/C now being installed by 2021, the contracts for that must already be made.
If I were betting I would put my money on Carrier supplying chillers, and some kind of agreement for an annual payment to retain the name, overall some of the cheapest advertising they could ever get. It will certainly be entertaining as this plays out.

Last edited:
View attachment 179412Based on this tweet, I’d say that Carrier still has some work to do if it wants to retain their association with the Dome’s name.

wait, has there been a moment that it looked like Carrier would stick as the name?

I gladly moved on months ago and havent seen anything to sway me but i may/prob missed something.

wait, has there been a moment that it looked like Carrier would stick as the name?

I gladly moved on months ago and havent seen anything to sway me but i may/prob missed something.

I noticed recently Carrier reappearing on a lot of collateral where it had said things like SU Dome. Plus, with all the work being done, it would have been easy to take the name down for the short term. That they havent has left me very confused was to what the fark is going on with naming

Negotiations have been going on for quite some time, where have you been? Now whether successful or not has not been reported as yet.

Negotiations have been going on for quite some time, where have you been? Now whether successful or not has not been reported as yet.

i just googled and didnt see a single article mentioning any negotiations with carrier.

the most recent articles (and there a lot of them) i can find are from football season when we dropped carrier and started calling it "the dome" on everything. As far as im concerned and what everyone assumed in august is that we are wiggling out of legalities with carrier and it will have a new official name upon reopening or whenever the corridor that changes the footprint is completed. Not sure what negotiations you are referring to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom