The Carrier Dome Renaming Thread... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

The Carrier Dome Renaming Thread...

Also interesting from Cuse.com

Budweiser has 1 of their like 8 breweries in the US 10 miles north in Baldwinsville. The Natty Daddy Dome? The Bud light Lime Dome? The Bud Mud Dome?

Do you really think Disney would see the Dome in Syracuse, NY as good marketing for them?
I think I could make the argument whether it would be valid or not I don’t know. Upstate NY winters sent me to Disney for decades. The market of people that want to flee winter is significant. The Dome is well known.

At one time ESPN was largely staffed by Newhouse grads. ESPN might like to link with a broadcasting school. With SU appearing regularly on national broadcasts, the Disney Dome or ESPN Dome could be of interest. At least in my thoughts...but I’m a fan not a marketing analyst...

Budweiser has 1 of their like 8 breweries in the US 10 miles north in Baldwinsville. The Natty Daddy Dome? The Bud light Lime Dome? The Bud Mud Dome?

The Bud Bowl

I’ve always thought the same.
Here is the issue. Wegmans is heading south. Will naming the Dome actually create ill will among the provincial Southerners? I'm sure that is a big issue for Wegmans.

Reactions: FAL
This all tells me one of two things:
  1. SU has reached an agreement with Carrier to get out of the "in perpetuity" agreement, or
  2. SU is playing hardball with Carrier by removing any mention of them from their site.
I am also sure, if it is the latter, they are telling all television partners to refer to it as "The Dome" and nothing else.

I am not a lawyer or an expert on this stuff. But to clarify what I was saying, and this is based on what other more knowledgeable posters have said, the naming of the dome after Carrier was based on a donation, the same as other campus buildings such as The Ensley Athletic Center. That would make it different than the more modern naming rights deals we have seen elsewhere the last decade or so. Common sense makes me think, if it were easy to change the name as a way to increase revenue, it would've happened a long time ago.

It seems the reason it wasn't done that way in the first place is that nobody was doing naming rights deals in 1980. Had SU thought of that, they would've been ahead of their time. Or maybe it wouldn't have been possible because SU wasn't a national brand and college sports weren't as financially significant as they are now. At the time, I think people felt fortunate to recieve the gift Carrier gave. It only looks paltry in retrospect.

Factually probably correct, however SU has a very large leverage point. That being no A/c was initially put into the dome. Can you imagine that Carrier would even want their name on the dome if it were air conditioned by Trane, York or whomever other than Carrier?

Last edited:
I always found it strange the way media participates in the naming rights craze by dutifully referring to any stadium by its commercially sponsored name. It seems like they’re complicit in the naming rights scheme. I just as soon have them call it Giants Stadium as opposed to MetLife Stadium. Similarly to Yankee Stadium-the place where the Yankees play or the Syracuse Dome or simply the Dome if it’s a local outlet.

Corporations can pay all the money they want to name a stadium, I just wish the media wouldn't bother me with referring to it by that name. What does Tropicana Field mean to me. It should just be called the Tampa Field or Rays Field. Same with Minute Maid Park - who plays there?

I recognize that this active ignorance of sponsored names would make naming rights of stadiums practically worthless, however I don’t understand why the media has to follow through by so regularly and completely referring to a stadium by its sponsored name and not as an affiliation with the team in question.

In 20 years of its existence the baseball stadium where the San Francisco Giants play has been called Pacific Bell Park, SBC Park, AT&T Park and now Oracle Park. Really? To me it’s the Giants’ Park, or the Giants’ Stadium - where the Giants play.

Shouldn’t ESPN receive a fee for referring to where the Indianapolis Colts play as Lucas Oil Stadium? It is a kind of free advertisement.

Yeah, that's not how any of that works.

Are different wegmans better then others? I’m in Price Chopper mafia territory but stopped at a Wegmans in Corning a couple years ago. The prepared foods looked like marginal cafeteria food, nothing looked very appetizing. I ended up ordering a sub and that sucked, the meat was one grade above government issued.

I think I could make the argument whether it would be valid or not I don’t know. Upstate NY winters sent me to Disney for decades. The market of people that want to flee winter is significant. The Dome is well known.

At one time ESPN was largely staffed by Newhouse grads. ESPN might like to link with a broadcasting school. With SU appearing regularly on national broadcasts, the Disney Dome or ESPN Dome could be of interest. At least in my thoughts...but I’m a fan not a marketing analyst...
I would think if Disney thought using naming rights would increase their exposure, they would do something with a pro team that is likely to get more consistent national/international coverage than any college team.

This all tells me one of two things:
  1. SU has reached an agreement with Carrier to get out of the "in perpetuity" agreement, or
  2. SU is playing hardball with Carrier by removing any mention of them from their site.
I am also sure, if it is the latter, they are telling all television partners to refer to it as "The Dome" and nothing else.

My guess would be two. If they got out of the agreement, I would guess that would be made public.

It was built with a naming gift, and now I’m fairly confident that it has a different name.
Could something like that establish precedent?

The Community Bank Dome. Headquarters are in Dewitt, Forbes lists it at #3 for the best banks in the country. Total assets valued at nearly 11 billion dollars.

Last edited:
South is full of Yankees.
Supermarket margins are pretty small. Even pissing off 10% of potential shoppers is a bad thing. Not saying it is fact but I'm sure Wegmans would have to think it through before getting involved in naming rights.

Always thought wegmans was logical. Also think the same with Aspen Dental. Founder is from Rome NY, headquarters right in Syracuse with HQ2 in Chicago. They’re continuing to grow nationally.

Just my thought(s).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom