The Carrier Dome Renaming Thread... | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

The Carrier Dome Renaming Thread...

Interesting point. Most corporations, especially retail charge an arm and a leg to be on their site, in their catalogs, for naming and branding to be in/at their trade shows, etc.

Just because they paid to name the building doesn't mean that SU is obligated to publicize it in any way shape or form without additional compensation.

They could charge for every mention in every catalog, media guide, TV mention etc. I know that Staples charges like 50k for a banner ad on their website per year or quarter. Maybe the university should approach Carrier with this ala cart style of payment for exposure.

Maybe they would prefer the opt out of the contract and go for a modern naming rights deal instead.

I would bet the archaic 40 year old contract never mentioned TV, website or print mentions, social media, etc.

It just mentioned naming the building.

I think SU has them by the balls if that is the case.

The Carrier Dome brought to you by Staples

A major sporting goods store makes a great idea as well.

The Dick's Carrier dome.

:cool:

The deal also is specifically related to the current Dome.
If we renovate the Dome and we are the dome techincally under the law becomes a different facility under a contract.
Thus all Syracuse needs to do is change something on the outside of the Dome and I bet we have plans to do so and the Dome is a new facility and the Carrier deal is over.

Syverud I am sure understands this.
The outside is changing. I believe the fundamental replacement of the air supported roof with the new "crown" (my highly technical term) replaces the concept of an air supported dome. I'm guessing we've got an architect or two on the board that might be able clarify if a domed structure is a definable thing. That's my story and I'm sticking to that.

I would actually be a bit surprised if Wegmans wasn't the one who would want naming rights the most on whatever we call the new Dome if naming rights go up for bid. As Wegmans is expanding more and more west and south I think having naming rights on a Stadium would help with there expansion and growth.
We need Wegman's commercials to counter act Food Lion...

The outside is changing. I believe the fundamental replacement of the air supported roof with the new "crown" (my highly technical term) replaces the concept of an air supported dome. I'm guessing we've got an architect or two on the board that might be able clarify if a domed structure is a definable thing. That's my story and I'm sticking to that.
"Dome" is not limited to being air supported. See Super Dome and Astro Dome. "Dome" is just a term used for indoor stadiums.

"Dome" is not limited to being air supported. See Super Dome and Astro Dome. "Dome" is just a term used for indoor stadiums.
"Dome" denotes a specific type of arena. One as large as ours is suitable for outdoors as well as indoors acitvities. That suitability is ensured by the roof. And the iconic feature of our dome is the roof.

The new roof will be pretty much the same size, shape, and color. But, architecturally it's a whole different animal. So certainly the argument can be made that this a different building from the one Carrier originally chipped in towards. Ergo, it needs a new name, or another infusion of funding from Carrier to maintain the status quo.

I wonder if the splitting of UTC could be impacting any of this.

"Dome" denotes a specific type of arena. One as large as ours is suitable for outdoors as well as indoors acitvities. That suitability is ensured by the roof. And the iconic feature of our dome is the roof.

The new roof will be pretty much the same size, shape, and color. But, architecturally it's a whole different animal. So certainly the argument can be made that this a different building from the one Carrier originally chipped in towards. Ergo, it needs a new name, or another infusion of funding from Carrier to maintain the status quo.

I wonder if the splitting of UTC could be impacting any of this.
I get that it could be a "different animal" and that could be the rationale for Carrier's name being taken off but it is still a "dome". That does not mean the term "dome" has to be in the name but by definition of "dome" it still fits. For the naming, I really don't think the "dome" part matters.

See Alamo Dome, which doesn't even have a dome shape.

I get that it could be a "different animal" and that could be the rationale for Carrier's name being taken off but it is still a "dome". That does not mean the term "dome" has to be in the name but by definition of "dome" it still fits. For the naming, I really don't think the "dome" part matters.

View attachment 168892
There are some domed arenas that are not stadiums.

There are some domed arenas that are not stadiums.
Usually not referred to as a "dome" but I guess I will let it slide if someone uses "dome" in its name. See Dean Dome nickname for Dean Smith Center. I will let that slide.

In all seriousness, my main point is whether and architect calls it a dome or stadium, it has no bearing on the gift naming agreement.

Last edited:
See Alamo Dome, which doesn't even have a dome shape.
Would Dome be possibly a defined term in the type of contract that was put in place? If so that's where things may well rest regarding the old contract.

Would Dome be possibly a defined term in the type of contract that was put in place? If so that's where things may well rest regarding the old contract.
I'd bet $100 the term "dome" is not defined in the contract but I heave never seen it.

I'd bet $100 the term "dome" is not defined in the contract but I heave never seen it.
Yeah I was just tossing that out there. If the premise is the dome is no longer the same construct and speculation has been focused on that in all these threads, I was just spitballing that maybe the actual agreement contemplates that somehow. You are likely right but then again the basketball court and football field are both constructs/components of the dome/within the dome and yet were not impacted by the universities naming restrictions with Carrier. So where does the break line occur? Again just thinking out loud. Technically if no roof was added to the structure, would it still be considered a dome?

Usually not referred to as a "dome" but I guess I will let it slide if someone uses "dome" in its name. See Dean Dome nickname for Dean Smith Center. I will let that slide.

In all seriousness, my main point is whet her and architect calls it a dome or stadium, it has no bearing on the gift naming agreement.
I agree on dome vs stadium.

My point is that the replacement of the roof, which is the iconic part of the structure, with a totally different design could be the basis of a legal argument that there is a new building.

I agree on dome vs stadium.

My point is that the replacement of the roof, which is the iconic part of the structure, with a totally different design could be the basis of a legal argument that there is a new building.
I agree. That may be part of SU's argument.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom