The class of 2022 is very very important for our team | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The class of 2022 is very very important for our team

Reports are out there saying Buddy will come back for a fifth year.

Right and thus why I mentioned 2023 as a bridge year possibly as well. Those two classes would be part of his 5th year and then the first class after that year.

The 2021 class was a terrible job overall. Benny is a tremendous recruit but not getting a guard or freaking offers towards guards are a joke.

I don’t have faith in this class being anything special after we lost Gayle but I hope I am wrong.

Gayle is a kid with Hop on staff I don’t think we lose.

I don’t like our playing style of short rotations for recruiting good players while we have incumbents.

If Buddy was recruited to be the only SG for 3 seasons that is a joke by the staff. Goodine left because he wasn’t going to get minutes here. Now he isn’t getting minutes in Providence this season but I don’t think he will be parked on the bench next year.

I hope the 2022 class is 4 deep with multiple guards.

Right. I wasn't getting into my opinions on the likely quality of the classes just the importance but yeah 2021 was a miss outside of Benny. The staff seemed to look at Joe as more of a Triche than a Howard Washington in terms of trajectory.

Right. I wasn't getting into my opinions on the likely quality of the classes just the importance but yeah 2021 was a miss outside of Benny. The staff seemed to look at Joe as more of a Triche than a Howard Washington in terms of trajectory.
Even if Girard was a Triche you have 13 scholarships you should have 4 guards who can play.
Balance the roster out so the Freshman coming in would be far away from the starters they would see a path to PT.

I am convinced we are easy to recruit against. It’s not hard to see what could be said.

Even if Girard was a Triche you have 13 scholarships you should have 4 guards who can play.
Balance the roster out so the Freshman coming in would be far away from the starters they would see a path to PT.

I am convinced we are easy to recruit against. It’s not hard to see what could be said.

That and it's getting harder to sell SU against other up and coming programs too. So you have difficulty both ways.

I think the biggest thing is that Hop was pure energy. He gets you excited to play and brings intensity. We have an entire staff of good guys, who are good father's, sons and university ambassadors. They also have the intensity of a librarian when you watch them on the sidelines. A few yells and fist pumps but just not the raw emotion. Imagine even the aging Roy Williams and his passion vs what you get with SU staff today.

Last edited:
That and it's getting harder to sell SU against other up and coming programs too. So you have difficulty both ways.

I think the biggest thing is that Hop was pure energy. He gets you excited to play and brings intensity. We have a an entire staff of good guys, who are good father's, sons and university ambassadors. They also have the intensity of a librarian when you watch them on the sidelines. A few yells and fist pumps but just not the raw emotion. Imagine even the aging Roy Williams and his passion vs what you get with SU staff today.
Which is why I have no confidence in our 2022 class.

I think JB is just fine with what he gets and knows his scheduling and coaching will prevent us from a complete garbage season.

We have pieces on this roster but it’s not going to be a top 25 team or conference title contender without upgrades I don’t see coming next year.

Just look at Woody Newton.
I believe the Covid stoppage affected him. I don’t believe now for the past month he isn’t back to close to where he was.

He is just gone from the rotation. JB will say it’s practice. I bet there is more there.

I wish Etan Thomas got more coverage in the Syracuse market.
I have little faith in class of 2022 because I don’t believe Jim Boeheim can outrecruit these other coaches now.

Which is why I have no confidence in our 2022 class.

I think JB is just fine with what he gets and knows his scheduling and coaching will prevent us from a complete garbage season.

We have pieces on this roster but it’s not going to be a top 25 team or conference title contender without upgrades I don’t see coming next year.

Just look at Woody Newton.
I believe the Covid stoppage affected him. I don’t believe now for the past month he isn’t back to close to where he was.

He is just gone from the rotation. JB will say it’s practice. I bet there is more there.

I have little faith in class of 2022 because I don’t believe Jim Boeheim can outrecruit these other coaches now.
“I wish Etan Thomas got more coverage in the Syracuse market.” What does this mean? What are you referring to?

So Marek, Bourama , Quincy and Griffin are more than likely your losses. All four of which shouldn't shock anyone when you follow everything. If we keep anyone else besides Bourama, I see Woody probably sliding in here so make it four guys total and thus a net loss of 3 with Benny coming in. Bring in one grad Txfr and we should be ok even without the full allotment used.

Now, substitute JBA for Sidibe, and then add in Richmond, Woody and Braswell.

That's six guys gone plus one more very likely gone (QG). Seven altogether.

We should go back to earlier in this thread and point out all the posters who were so certain that we would only lose 2 to 4 "at most" guys from this team.

Now, substitute JBA for Sidibe, and then add in Richmond, Woody and Braswell.

That's six guys gone plus one more very likely gone (QG). Seven altogether.

We should go back to earlier in this thread and point out all the posters who were so certain that we would only lose 2 to 4 "at most" guys from this team.

Let's not relitigate this again. That exact comment has been repeated probably 50 times already.

I think the biggest thing is that Hop was pure energy. He gets you excited to play and brings intensity. We have an entire staff of good guys, who are good father's, sons and university ambassadors. They also have the intensity of a librarian when you watch them on the sidelines. A few yells and fist pumps but just not the raw emotion. Imagine even the aging Roy Williams and his passion vs what you get with SU staff today.
Frankly, that’s why I like our guys. I find the yelling and fist pumping annoying and corny.

Etan's column (as well as Kareem Abdul Jabbar's) are carried in The Guardian (UK).

We also used to be involved in the Olympic Teams for 3 cycles. That was a huge boost to recruiting that we no longer have.

We also used to be involved in the Olympic Teams for 3 cycles. That was a huge boost to recruiting that we no longer have.

Most posters would claim that having JB and Hop involved in the Olympic Team actually hurt recruiting every few years.

Instead of spending the summer on the AAU circuit, they're both enjoying 6 weeks in Vegas or overseas.

Most posters would claim that having JB and Hop involved in the Olympic Team actually hurt recruiting every few years.

Instead of spending the summer on the AAU circuit, they're both enjoying 6 weeks in Vegas or overseas.

Yeah, how much did it hurt for Boeheim to teach the zone to LeBron, Kobe and (of course) Melo? How much did it hurt that Mike was running workouts for the best players in the NBA? And of course all the press and photo ops that came with it.

Yeah, how much did it hurt for Boeheim to teach the zone to LeBron, Kobe and (of course) Melo? How much did it hurt that Mike was running workouts for the best players in the NBA? And of course all the press and photo ops that came with it.
It didn’t hurt. Not like JB is doing any of the recruiting himself anyways.

I dont see SU landing any of our top recruits. Maybe the guard from Philly but i dont see us leading for anyone else.

No way they get him either. I see us striking out on all recruits. Good chance we go with 3 players total on the team in 2022.
3 players? Did JB have more kids? It’s just going to be Buddy for his freebie year. Everyone else will jump ship.

Wow some good old fashioned negativity to start the day off. Let me try. The world is over, our program is doomed! We aren't recruiting anymore and we will be playing iron man style hoops for ever more! Doooooommmm! Doom I tell ya! Yeah it's just not my thing I guess. At the end of the day we are all just water.

Wow some good old fashioned negativity to start the day off. Let me try. The world is over, our program is doomed! We aren't recruiting anymore and we will be playing iron man style hoops for ever more! Doooooommmm! Doom I tell ya! Yeah it's just not my thing I guess. At the end of the day we are all just water.
Iron man? In salt city? More like rust man.